Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 03:34PM

DH got used to garments and refuses to wear anything else. He discovered pajamas after I made it clear that sleep was all he would get if he game to bed in those things. He allows his mother to continue in her delusion that he is just inactive. She recently bought him a bunch of new garments, which is nice because I wasn’t about to do it and he’d just keep wearing the holey ratty ones. She gave him a lecture about snipping out the markings before getting rid of the old ones. Ummm, yea, that didn’t happen. I asked him what we were supposed to do with the markings. He suggested putting a nice sauce on them. Back in my TBM days I remember snipping them out and just throwing them away, which seemed disrespectful, but I wasn’t going to keep them. What are you supposed to do with the markings?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: time2go ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 03:39PM

If you believe the LDS church to be false I don't understand why there is any disrespect in just throwing them out markings and all. There is only significance if you believe there to be some divine reason to wear them.

Trash them.

Date: November 02, 2013 03:52PM

Oh I did. It just bugged me that I couldn't remember what I'd been told to do back when I cared.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 03:41PM

You are supposed to make them unrecognizable. I used to snip mine out and then snip them into even tinier pieces. Cotton garments make nice cleaning cloths. You just cut them in to squares.

When I stopped wearing garments, I just threw them in the trash. I hope that the angel in charge of garment markings wasn't watching.

Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 03:41PM

Send them to the COB with a note saying they can have all their masonic symbols back. Stupid cult.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 03:43PM

We were always taught to snip out the markings, cut up the markings themselves so they were unrecognizable, and then throw them away. My mom used the now non-holy (but very hole-y) material for dust cloths. With the markings gone, there wasn't anything special about it.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 03:46PM

I just tossed mine in the trash. Knowing it is all a big hoax made it easy not to worry about anything. I just took all those garmies and chucked the whole lot in the trash.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 03:47PM

Get a framed canvas at the craft store and some white acrylic paint. Use the paint to stick markings to canvas. Let dry. Paint lightly over the whole thing. If you want to bring out the texture of the markings more thin down a color and wash it over the painting.

Be sure to hang this where his mother will see it. Tell her it was a relief society project on being thrifty.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 03:50PM

If your husband wears cotton garmies, they make good dust clothes and cleaning rags. If he has the nylon ones, just toss them.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 03:52PM

I would cut out the markings and burn them

Garments I would cut into patches for my black powder rifle.

I could never use them as rags. Seemed odd to me.

Date: November 02, 2013 03:59PM

I really had no dilemma about how to get rid of the things. They are that awful nylon mesh—sorry landfill, here ya go. I just couldn’t remember what you were “supposed” to do with the markings. I love the suggestions.

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 04:22PM

When I volunteered at DI I noticed that there were quite a few donations of garments. They send them to SLC and SLC takes care of them. You can take them to DI, if you want. Me, I hang on to mine and use them as "emergency" underwear if the laundry didn't get done.

Date: November 02, 2013 04:38PM

Maybe garments aren't as toxic to men? I cannot imagine a situation where I'd put a pair back on. Some of mine were hand-me-downs from my MIL--so disgusting--I know. For the longest time, my garments sat in big bag while I considered sending them to her, but how rude is that? She was devastated that I wasn't wearing them. Finally my ex-Mormon sister said, "What? Why do you have those? We tossed them in the rolling trash bin and she doused them with ketchup for a celebratory effect! Just thinking about wearing garments makes me feel hot, fat, ugly and miserable.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 04:38PM

I donated mine to a used clothing drive. Lol! Who knows, maybe somebody found a good use for them.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 04:54PM

I tried them as rags and they failed. As for what to do, I first had it suggested we burn the markings. Actually, in retrospect, it might have been fun to burn the garmies with the markings still on. I never cut out any markings.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 09:25PM

I was taught in the temple to cut out the markings, then either burn them or cut them into threads so that they were completely unrecognizable. Furthermore, I was taught that the garmies themselves weren't sacred anymore after the markings were cut out, and I could do whatever I liked with them.

When I ditched my garmies last year, I did cut out the markings as kind of a final, symbolic gesture. But I felt ridiculous the entire time. I didn't burn or shred them; I just put the whole mess into a plastic bag and from there into the trash bin. Voila, freedom!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.