Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 02:50AM

It was announced a Women's General Conference will be held semi-annually the Saturday before General Conference. This will replace the women's and young women's conference. The new conference is for all women, young women and girls over age 8. It will be conducted by the general presidencies of RS, YW, and Primary. Ok, my first thought is the church is just doing this to appease all the women who were upset they weren't allowed to attend the priesthood session. Second thought, age 8! Really 8. They want to brainwash those girls young. Last thought, that's a big age range to have a women's conference for--women in their eighties+ down to children. Glad I'm not going.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 02:54AM

So, all women are going to hear advice suitable for 8 year old children? Oh how wonderful and amazing.

Eternally happy that I left the cult so many years ago.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 12:12PM

ipo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, all women are going to hear advice suitable
> for 8 year old children?

Don't they always?

Posted by: Notloggedin ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 03:10AM

Call it like it really is, name it the "motherhood session" since motherhood is the female "hood", right? It is all they will talk about, anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 03:52AM

So ladies, not only can you not attend the session with the men folk, your session is going to be dumbed down to primary speak.

Unbelievable.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 03:54AM

Just when we thought...

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 03:55AM

Are they going to have women guarding the doors, and blocking any MEN who might want to attend? Will any such men be lined up off to the side, waiting vainly for a seat?

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 07:29AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 04:38AM

Women's Session of Conference:

Opening Hymn: "Popcorn Popping"
Opening Prayer: Sister Chantrelle Smith (assisted by her Mom)
Opening Remarks: "Preparing for Motherhood using Ken and Barbie"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 04:38AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: Inky ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 04:43AM

Lol!!! Thanks, you made my day!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 10:56PM

Perfect!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 08:26AM

All the talks at the women's sessions are on an 8-year-old level anyway. They don't have to do anything different. But who is going to make Nelson's doughnuts while he's at the penishood session? And who is going to babysit the not-old-enough-to-sin children? Which meeting will be broadcast live? Who gets the car? Not sure God thought this one through.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 08:43AM

They kept the donuts in mind, it is a week before the men session.
Unless of course you mean who's making donuts for the men who must supervise the women session... Then you're right lol!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 11:32AM

Oh, I missed that. I thought they were going to be on equal footing with the men and have their meeting during conference weekend too. Good thing about the doughnuts.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 08:33AM

TBMs will gush over this 'inspired change'. My response is always to ask that if it's so important and meaningful, why was it only adjusted in 2013? What about all the young women that went less active in recent years that might have also really benefitted from this change? Weren't they as important to Jesus?!

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 06:17PM

Here is someone gushing: This can't be for real??

"I love being a member of this wonderful church! So grateful my parents accepted the gospel when it was presented to them. It has truly being a blessing in our lives! Inspiring changes like this testifies to me that the Lord is at the helm of this great and marvelous work! What a joy to be led by a prophet of God in these turbulent yet exciting times!"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 08:39AM

They are trying to create a sense of continuity, since YW are NOT transitioning to RS.

They are going down to age 8 instead of a more reasonable 12 to avoid comparisons to Priesthood. It subtly makes the women's group more childlike than the equivalent men's group. Congrats, women! You're the same and "less than" at the same time.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 08:39AM

You bet there will be penishood holders there to keep an eye on those womenfolk, don't want 'em getting uppity...don't want 'em wearing pants or anything like that. They'll be up on the stand so the womenfolk can bask in their penishood glory.

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:47AM

I noticed that the announcement on LDS.org was tagged "Milestones." It's quite sad that they consider a simple change in name a milestone. Just goes to show how easily impressed they are...

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:50AM

Jeeeezus Fucking Keerist!!!!!!

Has anyone here ever seen so many fucking changes in a religion?

Enough already.

'Course, this is what happens when a lie gets started...There is constant busy work to make it look real...

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 10:03AM

Will they reduce the money women get for their activities even more because now they have their own general conference? Here girls, every time you hear the word, marriage or children, you get to eat a Cheerio.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 10:58PM

+1

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 10:29AM

Actually, I think males will be completely banned from attending this session at first. I feel partly like it's to make a point (i.e. men aren't begging to attend the female session, so why are females begging to attend the male session?).

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 12:17PM

LOL Tommy, you aren't welcome at our conference. That would be tje day :P

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 12:02PM

Tomie.....

I know a woman named tomie. Would be so awesome if it was you? If so, I may be one of your cousins :)

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 12:06PM

So they're consolidating conferences? It's all about cutting costs, if you ask me. The condescension and fake community aspects are just fringe benefits.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 12:07PM

8? Oh my goodness. I can see it easily being "Mom, I don't want to go." "Honey, you were just baptized, and you promised to follow the prophet. The prophet says this is important." Fabulous way to further guilt trip children.

This means there are no more "only for adult" meetings of GC anymore. There are still the adult-only stake conference meetings, but GC is being dumbed down a bit more.

Posted by: rexburgtoaz ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 12:12PM

This just proves that the number of women and YW attending their own conferences were DECLINING!

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:45PM

I am a male, can I attend if I wear a skirt?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:50PM

My first thought was - how is this any different than what they are already doing? Don't the YW already go to Women's Conference with their moms the Sunday before General Conference? Is there a separate YW conference? Is adding small little girls from Primary the big deal? Seriously, why is this important at all if all they are doing is combining two meetings they already have and lowering the age requirement?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.