Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 07:11PM

Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" came out into theaters on November 1st. It is already gone in all but one venue here in the Oakland area.

I checked Cinemark and you would have to go to the one theater in Oakland (the Grand), or to Hayward or Tracy if you want to see it this weekend.

I thought this might make some of you gay exmormons happy to know that we here in California are not patronizing haters.

(Except me, of course, because Ender's Game is one of my all-time fav books, and the one I used to hook my sons on reading....so I get a teeny little pass on this one.)

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 07:12PM

I won't pay a dime toward it.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 07:19PM

Just asking... Does anyone know Orson Scott Card's personal position on LGBT issues?

I don't know enough about him. Is he a hater, or is the Mormon association the justification for the boycott?

DT

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 07:39PM

I'm too lazy to google it, but you'll find he personally makes some pretty awful comments about gays.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 02:19AM

He is massively homophobic. Which is why there is a boycott.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 11:17AM

He is press writer for the National Organization for Marriage

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 11:31AM

I used to love OSC's book back when he first started writing they were really good now his stuff is full of crap.
Really, OSC it is a horrible sin to love someone of your own gender, but it is OK to f#$$%# your sibling if you were not raised together ("Bean" in "Shadows in flight").Your morality is screwed up OSC.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:27PM

From Wikipedia: In a 2008 essay opposing same-sex marriage, Card stated that he regarded any government that would attempt to recognize same-sex marriage a "mortal enemy" that he would act to destroy: "If the Constitution is defined in such a way as to destroy the privileged position of marriage, it is that insane Constitution, not marriage, that will die."

That, to me, is the definition of over-the-top homophobia

Date: November 05, 2013 07:42PM

I feel ya, I loved the book and went to the movie. I really enjoyed it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 07:59PM

My son said the movie massacred the book. It's his all time favorite book too but he came back from the movie mad. I'm going to have to go see it. I've been putting off reading the book because even if the producers do an excellent job, the book is always better than the movie.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:23PM

said the movie pretty much sucked like a Dyson. And most of those reviews were written by folks who loved the book.

That's reason enough for me not to see it.

Wish I could go back in time and unsee the abomination that was the Lynch/De Laurentiis production of Dune....

Posted by: an991 ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 10:33PM

I think LOTR is the only exception ever to that

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:08AM

Oh I don't know, while I enjoyed the LOTR movies, and can understand that a director must trim content to make the movie fit within a reasonable duration, the fact that Jackson would remove content while inventing new scenes (drop Tom Bombadil and add Aragorn falling off a cliff) keeps me from calling the movies better than the books.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 01:41PM

I think The Hobbit could easily have been made into a single movie, as the book itself is short when compared to the LOTR books. Still, I understand that the movie makers just wanted to make as much money as they can by making another trilogy.

As for Enders Game, I probably won't see it since I haven't even read the book, nor do I plan to because I can't stand the author.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:52PM

Tom Bombardali would have been a disaster on film. That said, didn't they try to film a couple scenes with him to see if they could make it work? I could have sworn I have seen some deleted content somewhere of him. Unless it was really well made fan stuff.

Posted by: Not logged in. ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:16PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 07:48PM

Ha! Love it!

Posted by: finalfrontier ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 08:20PM

It is sad the movie of a masterpiece such as Ender's Game is being boycotted due to the author being a crazy guy. Card has been very outspoken against tscc culture in the past, and it would not surprise me if his erratic behavior as far as gay marriage goes is his form of publicly making the church look dumb, at the cost of his reputation. At least I can dream...

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:15PM

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:27PM

Not an OSC fan (for which my family derides me, mercilessly), so I won't be attending.

Not only has he made anti-gay statements, I have heard from other writers who know him that he can be quite arrogant and rude. I used to frequent a writer's board that he occasionally graced with his presence. He did not seem to be a nice person there, either.

Does anyone know if there's a boycott in the Morridor? Could we start one?

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 10:17PM

My TBM dad said he say it and it was AWESOME!
And the author is LDS!!! So that seals the deal. He's also really into Twilight, which I find disturbing... It's probably because the author is LDS is the only reason he likes it.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 04:05PM

Let's see, it's the story of a ninety year old man who hangs out in HS to meet young girls then doesn't have sex with them until their married.

That sounds like mormon based polygamy to me.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 04:05PM

They're

doh

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 10:26PM

Don't miss reading Stephanie's book "The Host."

I really loved it because I used to have a parasite which sucked up all my energy and commenting on everything I did.

It was the LDS church.

LOL!

Ana

Posted by: ChrisDeanna ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:35PM

I am from the San Francisco Bay area and did not know until today that you are from there, too!

Thank you, for so many of your wise comments and thoughts that I have learned from. It does make me wonder if we have ever met. I was a member of the church for 30 years.

My heart to YOU! ~ChrisDeanna

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:47PM

May I echo that? I always enjoy your posts.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 11:29PM

OSC does not make any money off the movie. He get a producer credit but no $$$. He was paid over 10 years ago when they were working out a deal and that is all he get.

So boycotting the film does not hurt OSC at all.

Boycott all of his personal work for sure.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 11:55PM

I can't wait to see it. Going this weekend.

As far as the movie not living up to the book, it can't be worse than World War Z. The only similarity between World War Z the movie and World War Z the book is the title...

Posted by: elderprice ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:11AM

I love both branches of the Ender series, really sad that the movie doesn't appear to live up but still going to see it this weekend.

Date: November 06, 2013 10:28AM

It did not live up to the book. I felt like it hit all the highlights and did a really good job of creating a movie I personally thought was impossible. Since most of what made the book great was the internal conflict in Ender and I thought they did a pretty good job conveying what was going on, but understandably not perfect.

I loved the movie because I had very low expectations going into it. I wish they would have spent more time in the battle room, but they did a pretty good job making it look true to the book. They seemed like they ran through the book at a very fast pace, but I don't think I've ever seen a movie based on a book that didn't feel that way to me.

They completely leave out the political doings of Valentine and Peter. They convey the love Ender has for Valentine, and the hate/fear he has for Peter, but in a unsatisfying/superficial way to me. They also didn't play up Bean as the Shadow series. I personally hope they make Shadow of a Hegemon with a little Ender's shadow next. I really hope they can make it to Speaker for the Dead after that and then that's really the end of the books I enjoyed so I hope they end the series after the Speaker and then just let Ender sail into the sunset with his wife and valentines family. That's what I wish.

All things considered, I loved it and hope they do two more movies.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 11:04AM

OSC builds a house with no closets! (satire alert)

http://beehivebugle.com/2013/11/03/orson-scott-card-builds-new-home-draper-contains-closets/

“I mean, why would I want a closet, or need a closet? I think far too much attention is given to closets and that which is held within the closet, so I don’t want a closet, I don’t need a closet, I can’t stand the closet,” said the firebrand author of the Ender’s Game series...."

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 11:17AM

My daughter thought the ads looked good so we just checked for shows this weekend - according to Fandango, it's showing all over East Bay, and I saw an opinion piece in the Advocate in favor of going. The boycott doesn't have such solid support in CA as it may seem to the OP - possibly fair since Card gets nothing anyway.

I think it will be slaughtered by Thor at the box office this weekend though.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:27PM

Love the book, can't stand the author. Very meh about the movie.

The book was one of my first loves of sci-fi novels, up there with Starship Troopers (Heinlein), The Foundation series (Asimov), Startide Rising (Brin), and Hyperion (Dan Simmons).

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:59PM

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 05:07PM

... but you wouldn't know it from the press, radio, television or any other media. I only know it came out today because the Dutch-language Wikipedia says so, and even that is filled with spoiler alerts lol.

Seems none of the media conglomerates want to support it. I googled all the movie theaters in Antwerp and Brussels, and they only show the film after 10 pm, when few Belgians go to movies. I love that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.