Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ChrisDeanna ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 07:21PM

Just a short while ago, I was in a really bad place. I have small children (many) and my spouse relationship was over due to HIS violence.

I reached out to all and any friends that could help.

ALL (no exaggeration) of my TBM friends (who have no clue that I know it is all a fraud) ---- Not one of them were willing to help me!!!! The ones who stepped up were the ex-mos and the non-mos. Amazing, what I learned from "Who can I really count on when I am in great need?" Certainly, not those who profess to be followers of Christ.

Actually the friend that offered us the most help is an ex-Mo who is now a lesbian and one of my closest friends.

Shame on those Mormons!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 07:41PM

I have very few people that I can count on when shit hits the fan...

But it's good to know that I have some!

Posted by: ChrisDeanna ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 02:32PM

Agreed! Why am I constantly surprised that the true friends I can count on are non-mos or ex-mos?

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 02:43PM

I think TBMs are so insecure and worried about their image, that they think other peoples' "problems" are contagious. They don't want to lower themselves to lend a hand. Very un-Christlike.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:10PM

James Taylor

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:57PM

Nice catch.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:18PM

You.

Posted by: Jayen (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:27PM

My only true friends (except my wife and children) have absolutely proven to be other ex-mormons or non-mormons ever since I have announced my disbelief.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:28PM

...are fair-weather friends at best. When things go wrong in your life, they RUN. I have 40 years of countless experiences, far too many to write about here, that have proven this point to be sadly true, at least for my life.

Let's just say that I have received more help and compassion at times of my life than my own TBM family - you know, those temple-worthy Mormons who are also my own flesh and blood. They are absolutely pathetic - going around proclaiming their goodness and righteousness and then pretty much abandoning me when my life has gone to hell.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:29PM

Ooops...Above sentenced corrected in CAPS:

Let's just say that I have received more help and compassion at times of my life FROM ACQUAINTANCES AND STRANGERS than my own TBM family - you know, those temple-worthy Mormons who are also my own flesh and blood. They are absolutely pathetic - going around proclaiming their goodness and righteousness and then pretty much abandoning me when my life has gone to hell.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:28PM

+100

And it's not a bad thing at all when you figure out that you are the person you can count on and that you'll do just fine. It helps that self-esteem soar.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 03:57PM

That's been my experience too. Mormons are fair weather friends at best. If you're suffering, it must be your fault. It's between you and God, they shouldn't interfere. You see what their religion does to them?

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 04:04PM

Quite ironic isn't it? They are doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what their BOM tells them to do.

Mosiah 4
16 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.

17 Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—

18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 05:24PM

ChrisDeanna, I hope your situation is better now. No one should have to put up with an abusive spouse.

As for TBM "friends," I was active in the church for my entire life. In every crisis, from my parents' divorce, to being kicked out of the house, to my mom's suicide, to my own health scares...most of the TBMs deserted me, included those that I had helped through their own serious crises.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.