Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:11PM

Tonight's protest was different from those in the past.

We gathered in an open area east of the COB, then Crossed the street to the COB and Temple Square. Once we surrounded the Temple Square and the COB, Everyone laid down to symbolically represent the death of gay teens. So, this was not at all a loud, rowdy protest, rather it was quiet as people laid on the sidewalk completely surrounding the COB and temple square with "bodies" three people deep.

News coverage was everywhere. I know the Associated Press was there so this might get national attention.

There were reports of people coming in from San Francisco and the east coast.

People are saying that maybe as many as 4.000 people showed up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 11:18PM by MJ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:18PM

I saw a news report that there were at least 1,000 people there. I wish I had been there and I hope it prompts some soul-searching by those who saw it. Thank you for being there and for reporting :0)

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:19PM

I hope that's true-- that would be amazing. Here's where I found the 1,000 count.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iqHYKU81IH96N2UWiNevTveUgBjgD9IN83MG2?docId=D9IN83MG2

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:35PM

That is great MJ. Can't wait to hear or see this on the news.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:44PM

I love that it was quiet and nonconfrontational. I bet it drove the Mormons nuts -- nothing to complain about. (Although I'm sure they will, poor, poor persecuted people that they are...)

Posted by: LehiExMo ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 02:13AM

I drove around for about 30 minutes, walked around for 30, and drove around another few times. Most of the people were along the east and north side of the church office buildings. There was almost no one on west temple, and south was a dead zone. I think what made it hard to estimate size is the turnover rate of the crowd. Several did not seem prepared for the chilly weather and may have left after a short time. We noticed quite a few people in "transition" (coming and going). Also, because several were laying down stretched out it gave an impression there were a lot of people.

My estimate would be about 800-1000 people total, but around 600-700 at 'peak' actually on the street.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 02:18AM

Thank you to everyone that participated!

Posted by: Rudolph ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 10:02AM

The Associated Press article appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle, the major newspaper for Northern California.

If anyone knows of protests at the Oakland temple, let me know.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 10:14AM

The blood of those teens/victims is on the hands of the Mormon church and whomever else they slept with and campaigned for Proposition H8. Shame, shame on them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2010 10:15AM by charles10.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.