Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 11:54PM

What a tongue bath Margaret is getting for her little article. Holy effing christmas.

What pisses me off most about this sort of thing--and I commented over at Mormon Stories where Joni's article went up and then had to be cut up and spliced with commentary for fair use--the way these wonderful Mormons--not Joni, she's a bit of a pig--talk so easily about forgiveness, charity, the Atonement. I'm like, Dude, being a Mormon was so uncharitable and unforgiving--Mormons are all about judging and about NOT availing themselves of the Atonement. That "after all you can do" stuff makes them OCD shame and guilt machines whose understanding of Christ is very limited. Mormons value obedience over love--the latter is NT and the former is OT. So quit acting like you Mormons are so into Jesus, because you aren't. You are into your prophets and Joseph Smith and your "lay ministry" hierarchies.

And then Margaret talked about the wonderful humanitarian efforts of the church. Really? Really? The corporation of the church is a property development machine that does as little humanitarian work as possible in its ongoing efforts to perpetuate itself and improve downtown Salt Lake City with a big fancy shopping mall. WWJD?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 12:04AM

well said derrida.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 12:30AM

They're in lala land. The church wants tithe payers, not people to enjoy themselves in Christlike atmosphere of acceptance. Your ward members want to whip you into shape for temple covenants and and the rewards that brings to the church coffers.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 01:03AM

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 01:25AM

Mormonism is two-faced. It has its public face and its private face. Its public face points to the 11th article of faith and says, see we allow everyone to believe and worship as they want. Leave the church and the 11th article of faith is nowhere to be found. Now you're a bad parent or child. You're being deceived by satan. There's wailing and gnashing of teeth. How can anyone leave the "only true" church to believe and worship as they want?

Its public face talks about Jesus, love and helping others. Its private face talks about pay, pray and obey. After all, members have free agency to do exactly as the church says.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 12:38PM

I keep seeing things Margaret Young has written and it is just so hard for me to take her seriously. I lived a couple doors down from her for several years, was in the same ward, and thought she was just a special kind of nutty. The stories I could tell. She's a very nice person, just... I don't know.

That said, this is an excellent article and obviously what she lacks in social skills, she makes up for in writing ability. She certainly marches to the beat of her own drum, so I can see that it may be a good thing. And I'm glad she is using her talents wisely.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 01:36PM

Dk you have come up with a great quote: "After all, members have free agency to do exactly as the church says."

And, I too, will take an "F" on my mormon activity and belief report card.

This "grading" deal is a sweet idea for filling those minutes if you have to sit through a moron churchy meeting.

Ummmm.....the poor schmuck over there who I"m positive wants to cream his misbehaving two-year-old gets a C, that young teen over there gets a D+ for texting and the older lady sitting behind me, an F, for breaking my eardrum with her snoring.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 01:39PM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.