Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 07:48PM

It's a press release about environmental stewardship. I would love this to become part of their lessons. Read in Sacrament Meeting and a really good talk at GC.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/environmental-stewardship-conservation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 10:39PM by Taddlywog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 08:17PM

A very nice article.

But if these people were really serious about helping the poor/needy and environmental stewardship, they wouldn't own feed lots (cattle factory farming--incredibly cruel) or game preserves.

Joseph Smith taught that all animals have spirits. Cruelly exploiting them for human pleasure/financial gain/amusement is contradictory to the original teachings of the church especially as "all living things have great worth in His eyes."

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 09:28PM

What if polluting the environment was held on the same level as smoking? The air pollution around SLC is worse than 2nd had smoke. What if wasting water caused ward gossip?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 11:03PM

I recently saw the documentary, "Food, Inc." Among other things it detailed the practices of the large cattle operations, which were appalling. When I saw the overhead footage of the large cattle "ranches" I wondered if this is what the LDS operations are like.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 10:15PM

Holy crap, how did that article get in there???!!!

For once I am impressed.

I wonder what the 80% of the Mormon population who are hard core "conservative" (no pun intended) think when they read this?

Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 10:44PM

Does the church employ a full-time ambiguity advisor? I don't think that they could have made that statement any more vague. In their typical pu$$yfooted way they found a way to give those on the left some warm fuzzies while not actually calling for any kind of real change or urging any specific people to do anything about whatever ambiguous changes they are supposedly supporting.

Sorry to be the sourpuss but this smells like the same old do nothing B.S. they all ways spew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 10:52PM by Frightened Inmate #2.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 12:56AM

Their press releases fill you with hope. Their actions not so much. The Mormons who fill up the legislature aren't known for their environmentalism.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 09:05AM

I doubt that it's anything that isn't just another attempt to sound normal. The last thing that the LDS church leadership would care about would be the environment, I don't care how many hunters and/or anglers there be among the Big Fifteen. Environmentalism is a largely left-of-center theme, and we all know where the Big Fifteen stand politically. We have never seen them stand for anything that doesn't somehow benefit the name of the church. Environmentalism is more dear now that we see our world going to Shiz. It's good press to talk about it occasionally, and I think they are merely co-opting it because it of its popularity.

Mormon Inc. also have a like record with things that are historical. They always seem to be about "legacy" and "heritage," but are always quick to bulldoze down anything that stands in the way of a new temple or increased parking opportunity. Remember how they tore down the Coalville Tabernacle (Summit Stake Tabernacle), despite it being on the Utah historic register and the National Register of Historic Places? Despite being implored by the public and told by the State of Utah not to? But they did it anyway, not in small part due to the fact that they control state legislature. The prevailing belief is that Boyd KKK Packer didn't like the fact that the tabernacle was an exact duplicate of--and therefore somehow a threat to--his beloved Brigham City tabernacle.

My story would be that I've always heard them talk the good talk about so-called "stewardship." There is usually an annual lesson in priesthood about "stewardship." They give many examples about being a "good steward." In the end, they mean one thing: They want you to be a faithful tithe payer, consistent home teacher, a good elder, etc. Ultimately, the punch line would have nothing to do with taking care of things well. You just needed to pay a full tithe.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 09:11AM

This is a blatant attempt to dull the issues which will arise over their Florida land purchase. We spent $600M of your tithing dollars to save the planet. Yea that's it.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1075733

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 09:18AM

If they gave a rat's ass about the environment, they'd stop encouraging the flock to breed like rabbits.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.