Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: joejoe50 ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:26AM

It's not on the official abbreviation/acronym list. Is this one of those changes to the sacred list that stirs up the TBMs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:30AM

Name Only Mormon = Don't believe but go through the motions

Posted by: joejoe50 ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:38AM

Thanks. The list calls it MINO. So now I know what I am, though I don't do any of the motions. I'd take the plunge and resign but I can't hurt my TBM wife. I love her too much . . . and I'm not kidding. She's okay with me being in limbo. I'll just bide my time and enjoy the electronic company of you good folks.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:40AM

It can also mean NEW ORDER MORMON -- Someone who will only believe the writings and teachings of the current Prophet and Apostles !!!

Posted by: libor ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:35AM

New order Mormon, isn't it? I think NOM is similar to "cultural Mormonism" but I could be wrong.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:48AM

I consider myself a NOM (new order mormon).

The definition to me is someone who is still engaged with the church for whatever reason (my activity is because of a believing spouse), but who do not believe much or any of the church's truth claims.

Best wishes.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:49AM

It's what comes after "OM" and right before another "NOM"

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 08:38AM

"New Order Mormon," not "name-only Mormon." A Mormon who knows the church isn't "true," but keeps on doing Mormonism based on any one of a number of reasons or needs, generally due to family issues. Often a case of it being just easier to play the Mormon than to quit and cause too much drama.

A lot of us have tried the NOM route and found that it was too troublesome to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 08:39AM by cludgie.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 08:41AM

I think occasionally we also discuss NOM (National Organization for Marriage) on this site, since they are an organization that opposes same sex marriage, and was especially active in passing Prop 8. They have ties to the LDS church both in leadership and funding, but that's on the "down low".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.