Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 02:20AM

This is NUTS! There used to be the Fundamental LDS (the ones IMHO who actually follow JS closely); the Reformed LDS (those in Missouri who didn't like Breedum Young), and the Mainstream LDS, (the ones who came with Breedum Young, then "rejected" polygamy (not really since it is just after death now) but anyway, those were the kinds there were. Of course there were also jack-Mormons, an odd term at best. Who knows what Jack had to do with it and Who knows Jack anyway?
Now there are NEW ORDER MORMONS! The early Mos had a New World Order where they got their handshakes etc. from since it was also Masonic. The New World order was also COMMUNISTIC, an adjective that most TBMs would just hate to be called even if it was true.
So, what's up with these new kinds of Mos? What are the NEW ORDER MORMONS? Sounds communistic to me. Is this a reaction to the fact that TSCC is falling apart? A bunch of mini-cults inside the main cult? SCARY!
Your opinion is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Caliban - not logged in ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 03:27AM

i know this isn't exactly what your were looking for because I'm not addressing denominations but let's try this

NON-MEMBER MOS

1 - athiest and/or agnostic mos (raised that way, part of their identity)
2 - other church mos (left a mormon church, now attends another church or believes in another religion)
3 - apathetic mos (no longer believes, doesn't care to bother defining new belief system)
4 - future mos
4.1 - people that will convert at some point
4.2 - people mos believe will convert in this life or the next
5 - the condemned
5.1 - those denied baptism due to some terrible sin
5.2 - deniers of the holy ghost

MEMBER MOS (many different mo denominations)
1 - attends a mo church regularly
1.1 - tbm
1.2 - on the fence mo (sometimes called nom)
1.3 - cafeteria mo
1.4 - doubting mo (also sometimes called nom)
1.4.1 - reformist (tries to change culture/policies/doctrine through activism)
1.4.2 - obligated to attend
1.4.3 - underaged forced by parents
1.4.4 - attends to pacify family or friends
1.4.5 - attends to maintain job/school eligibility

2 - attends a mo church occasionally
2.1 - mo who knows/feels/intuits something is not right but hasn't pinned it down
2.2 - mo who can't attend for work/health reasons

3 - rarely or never attends a mo church
3.1 - jackmo
3.2 - only a member on paper mo
3.2.1 - blessed or baptized as a child, doesn't know they are a mo
3.2.2 - baseball baptism mo
3.3.3 - failed resignation mo (for some reason the paperwork never gets processed correctly)

DEAD MOS
1 - Member mos who have passed

2 - Non-member mos who have passed but who have been baptized for the dead
2.1 - dead people who were never members in life
2.2 - dead people who left the church or were excommunicated in life but were rebaptized in the temple by family after death

3 - Presumably living mos
3.1 - dead members the church as lost track of but still includes in membership counts
3.2 - tombstone mos - early nineties in Vina del Mar, Chile missionaries would fill out baptismal records using information gathered from headstones in the cemetery - an easy way to keep the numbers high.

FICTIONAL MOS
1 - paperwork errors, e.g. my son has two membership records, no matter how many times I told the ward clerks, they could never really clean it up
2 - book of mormon characters that never really existed, dead or alive, e.g. 3 nephites or alma

Date: November 14, 2013 03:36AM

Wow, thanks! Too many Mos to think about.......

Posted by: Caliban - not logged in ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 03:40AM

yeah, i can see that. but it was fun coming up with the list.

Date: November 14, 2013 03:52AM

Yes, you covered all of the kinds and then some. Wow. Now read my other topic - NEW (Should I sent this?) much more serious topic and let me know your thoughts if you want to.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 04:03AM

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 09:22AM

Just two: the amicable ones, and the *ssholes.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:42PM

Most people can't tell the difference between an LDS and an FLDS. Most people don't care either. Only Mormons do.

Posted by: finished ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:34AM

haha ^^ This!! You win the internets, my friend.

Posted by: finished ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:34AM

If someone resigns from the church, is that considered "denying the holy ghost"? Will they be banished to Outer Darkness?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 08:06AM

I think that the "doctrine" (such as it is) is that you cannot deny the Holy Ghost until you have received "The Second Comforter," which means having had the 2nd Endowment (2nd Anointing). So to the great bulk of the church, denying the Holy Ghost is not even an option if you have only received your standard temple endowment.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 02:31AM

According to TSCC's official count, 15 Million of them. Because no two Mormons actually believe all the same things. It's the ultimate in cafeteria dining. This is why Up-Chuck'a'Rama is popular in Utah.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 02:52AM

Actually, New Order Mormons don't (usually) have anything to do with Communism or the New World Order or anything like that. From what I understand, they're pretty much just normal Mormons (whatever that means), but less so. They were born into Mormonism, and they think it has basically worked for them and theirs, so they see no reason to leave.

They might not REALLY believe the Book of Mormon is actually historically accurate, but they think its a good book of fables for moral guidance. They think the general authorities are good guys with good advice, even if they're not all they claim to be. They often aren't really all that concerned with Joseph Smith's immorality or failed translations and prophecies, they just think the church he founded has become a generally good organization, even if its not strictly true. So they just go with it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 07:34AM

Two:

Those who earn money from it and those that don't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.