Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 04:49PM

When Mormons say "Why do you pick on the church? Just get over it. Move on" they show how very shallow their faith is. Mormon beliefs change on command - it's not their beliefs that define or motivate Mormons - it's their BELONGING that does. They belong to the church and will change any deeply held belief, any religious philosophy, any character trait on command by church leaders to maintain their "club" membership. This leads me to think that it isn't their beliefs that are important to them nor define their world. They will compromise any morals to fit in, play along, be included and belong.

And nothing illustrates this more than when they say "You changed your mind about Mormonism? Then just get over it, move on, leave it alone." How can their beliefs - their character changing, fundamental view of the world - be so easy for them to throw away? How could they change their world view without blinking like they are advising us to do? Do they secretly believe Mormonism isn't true or important and can be thrown away like a snot-filled tissue? Considering all the time, money, effort they put into Mormonism, could they abandon the whole system without a second thought and move on? When they say that, they come across as having the moral depth of a deadbeat dad - create an actual human being and then abandon it without a second thought because it's convenient and easier to do so - because they simply change their mind. And we should call them on it when they try. Preferably with a horrified expression on our faces.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:20PM

Well said, CA girl. A Mormon's status in the local ward trumps all doctrine, every time. It trumps family, personal integrity, and even financial security. Ward status, along with the coveted TR, is the only creed that matters.

Posted by: katy ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:28PM

They would probably come back around by saying it's one of their beliefs to follow church leaders, and have faith in the changes they have had "revelation" to change. Maybe not, but they always find a way to weasel talk their way out of tricky things like what CA girl posted.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:29PM

So true. And it's not that we can't get over the fact that the church is false. That's the easy part. It's getting over who we were raised to be, all the time, effort, and relationships sacrificed to false ideals that cannot be recovered.

Date: November 14, 2013 07:01PM

In many ways, the Mormon church stole huge chunks of my life - where I went to college, who I married, how I approached my career by making promises it couldn't deliver on. It was a huge violation and if I could just "get over it," there would be something seriously wrong with me.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:36PM

It is an interesting phenomenon that when disciples of Christ's true church feel they cannot "save you" they resort to the extreme of "then why don't you just leave."

Phrases such as "you can leave the church, but you can never leave it alone" come to mind... Similar to "get over it or get out."

I agree ward status is powerful. In fact as long as ward status stays high, my belief is that most members will never care to know the truth about history, doctrine or current polices and procedures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 06:37PM by Doubting Thomas.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:40PM

When someone rips me off, it makes me mad--and it should.

When someone steals from me, I want restitution--and I should.

When someone lies to me in an effort to control me, I want things made right. I want an apology and I want the truth and I want the lying to stop----and I should want those things.

And I don't want the perpetrator of the lying and stealing standing there telling me to just get over it.

Get over it my ass!

Date: November 14, 2013 07:00PM

I know - when they say "I'm sorry if it offends you" I want to reply "Why doesn't it offend you? Are you so morally bankrupt that this sort of behavior doesn't even upset you a even a little? Geez, what is WRONG with you?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 07:20PM

I've turned the tables on the members I talk to about TSCC. The FRIST thing I say to them is...

"I don't want to offend you."

I love it. Most, and I'm not kidding you, give me a little smirk. They KNOW that's a TSCC tactic.

When things don't seem to be productive any longer I also like to use the phrase "blow me." Ends things pretty quick.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 07:24PM

This post and accompanying comments is why I keep coming back to RFM. Thank you for sharing your insight.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 07:45PM

"when they say "I'm sorry if it offends you" I want to reply "Why doesn't it offend you?"

That is it! The best comeback for asking if we were offended:

Why doesn't offend you? What kind of person are you anyway?

Posted by: questioning ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 07:54PM

Turn it off. Like a light bulb. Turn it off. It's a nifty little Mormon trick.

Posted by: learningdaily ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 11:04PM

I was going to make the same comment. Here is a link to the song. Stone, Parker and Lopez really nail it on this song from the Book of Mormon, the musical.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qsSq4M1P7gw

I hope this works, if not search YouTube for Turn it Off.

Posted by: ldsidiot ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 02:21AM

How many mormon missionaries does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Two...
One to hide the light bulb, and one to tell people to search their hearts for the light.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 07:57PM

I remember the advice to "just get over it" was given to members who where abused as children in mormon households. It seems the church leadership was tired of having to deal with the problems such abuse causes and told members to "just get over it".

I've said this before, I'll leave the church alone when it brings all their salespeople ... er I mean missionaries home and stops advertising and lying to get new suckers .. er I mean members.

Posted by: wideawake ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 11:02PM

exactly. If they want you to "get over it", why do they keep sending mishies around to bring inactives/exmos back? Why don't they get over the fact that you don't want any part of their poisoned, fraudulent cult?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 11:03PM by wideawake.

Posted by: chipsnsalsa(notsignedin) ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 11:09PM

"Get over it." That is what my MIL said to my nevermo SIL after she lost her fifteen year old daughter in a horrific accident. I hate that attitude.

Posted by: rexburgtoaz ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 11:20PM

chipsnsalsa(notsignedin) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Get over it." That is what my MIL said to my
> nevermo SIL after she lost her fifteen year old
> daughter in a horrific accident. I hate that
> attitude.

Wow. That is so awful.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 01:55AM

If a person has been so emotionally wounded by something that they keep talking about it, that means (according to my DH, the therapist) that the wound still hasn't healed.

So in essence, saying "get over it" is like ripping off a scab.

You may be sick to death of hearing about their problem, but try to at least say something kind and then maybe change the subject.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 02:35AM

A Mormon's status in the local ward trumps all doctrine, every time. It trumps family, personal integrity, and even financial security. Ward status, along with the coveted TR, is the only creed that matters.
Well said Donbagley - I knew a TBM woman who hated me (for no reason except that I was an apostate).
I was a teacher at the school that her kids attended although they were not in my class.
One time when she was telling everyone what a dedicated fabulous primary teacher she was and how it all came from being a fabulous mom. She went on and one about how the bishop knew her calling should be a primary teacher because of the time she had spent volunteering at her kid's school, helping out at the school, I said out loud "Gee that's odd. In the 3 years I've taught there, I've never seen you there even once." That is the first time she had known I was a teacher there and she was not pleased about that fact or the fact that she was caught like a deer in headlights. Poor bitch.

Posted by: Fri. ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 06:09AM

I think of it as their "Stepford philosophy" , it only works if you are willing to smile like a fucking idiot all the time and TOTALLY pretend no one ever did anything wrong to you --- so you can all act like a "Perfect- Happy" family or community. Kiss- my- ass! Except in my world they like to use the phrase: "it's all in the Past". True - yes , it IS all in the past, BUT-- The past is part of makes us who we are today and helps form decisions for present and future parts of our lives. I guess it must piss them off that I can make a LOT of decisions on my own without some desparate need to constantly ask for help nor do I EVER ask: "OMG, what should I do?" Free Thinkers Rule.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 09:36AM

Watch how angry they get if you tell them to get over Missouri's extermination order. Point out that very few people actually died and that Mormons threatened extermination first and to "just get over it". They get pissed! They love having a persecution complex. They should get over it.

Posted by: Ruby ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 03:42AM

I am very interested in discussing this issue further. I lived in Utah for years and had an especially hard time with this EXACT subject. It's great (if not sad) to see so many people see it the same way! Is there any way to do private messages in here? I'm scared to post my email address because I don't want curious lurkers looking for drama- filled entertainment to contact me. I am interested in the people that responded to this thread though!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.