Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:33PM

http://affirmation.org/pdf/oaks_paper_02.pdf

As it becomes more and more of a train wreck as you proceed down the pages, just remember that "scholar" wrote it. Un-freaking-believable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:34PM

And be sure to follow all the stuff about sexual sin being next to murder and Shiz like that.

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:36PM

I didn't have enough Jean Luc Picard facepalms stored up to get through it all the way. "so-called statutory rape" /grimace

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:01PM

"For example, there is no provision for adulterers or fornicators to suffer civil penalties such as disqualification from employment or housing."

I for one will not rest until having sex before marriage gets one blacklisted for life, if not life in prison!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 05:01PM

"life in prison" Shouldn't god just strike them dead with a bolt of lightening? Much more effective.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 05:14PM

Or just let Brigham Young loose on them with a javelin!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:19PM

This is my favorite:

"(4) One generation of homosexual "marriages" would depopulate a nation, and, if sufficiently widespread, would extinguish its people. Our marriage laws should not abet national suicide."

How could anyone say anything that stupid? This is so damn funny, except it's from Dallin Oaks and there isn't anything funny about him.

Posted by: secular ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 08:00PM

This one is objectionable false. There are many gay couples who still want kids. I have been approached by a gay couple asking if I would provide the sperm. Even if today everyone magically turned gay it still doesn't prove that our species would die out in a generation. It's called In Vitro and medical science. You would think someone as "smart" as him would know this.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 03:48AM

I personally know of a lesbian couple who wanted a child sired by a gay guy-friend (who was in a committed relationship.) He agreed to be the sperm donor so that one of the lesbians could be artificially inseminated.

The process "took," a beautiful little girl was born, and she has TWO adoring mommies and TWO equally adoring daddies. That little girl is 14 now. She is bright, articulate, not the least bit ashamed of the circumstances of her birth, and in fact, she feels exceptionally lucky to have more mommies and daddies than anybody else she knows!

The best way I can think of to describe this young lady's attitude toward homophobes is "compassionate." Her parents have taught her to feel sorry for people who are too ignorant to understand that families can be made up of all sorts of combinations.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:32PM

Methinks Oaks doth protest a lot.

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 11:50PM

+100

Him and a whole lotta fellers

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 03:37PM

E tu Bagley?

It drives me crazy when my straight brothers try to foist the worst heteros on to MY team.

There is NOTHING in the persona of that "piece of merde", D Oakes that reads gay. He's absolutely on y'all's team and you're STUCK with him.

I still love you of course, Don, because you write beautifully and cause me to break my temple vows through loud laughter ALL THE TIME!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 04:25PM

I don't mean to say Dalek Oaks is in the closet. I mean he is obsessed with sex in general. He actually has false theories about homosexuality, which is a mystery to me. How could I possibly understand homosexuality, even though I have an immediate relative who is gay (and whom I love very much)?

The hypocrisy is that Oaks would tell you to only ask Mormons about Mormonism, but he'll never ask a gay person a single question. In that sense he's in a closet of his own design.

I love you too, sonoma.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 04:43PM

Well said Don. I understand your post now. I should have never thought for a moment that you w"could be one of those guys. Thanks for setting me strai... er... ending the confusion. :)

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 09:49PM

How many "ships have sailed" since Oaks wrote this paper? It reads like it's 100 years old.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 11:56PM

Thing is - what could possibly motivate someone to dribble out this many pages of dessicated vomitus, I mean, what kind of a life?

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 01:16AM

Who names their kid Dallin anyway. Is it like Dillin Dallin, Dillying Dallying?

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 03:05AM

Lydia, if adultery were illegal in Utah, and if JS had still been alive, he would not have been able to join the wagon train. Oh how sad!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 02:58PM

enoughenoch19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who names their kid Dallin anyway. Is it like Dillin Dallin, Dillying Dallying?

My TBM grandson named his first child Dallin, after the beloved apostle. And his middle name became Jeffrey, after another honored servant of the Lard.

(There must be something in the names, because at nine years old he is the most arrogant and supercilious child I have ever encountered.)

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 08:21PM

"Dallin" is one of Endora's names for Samantha's husband.

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 02:12AM

Got to the bit about being about being able to cure homosexuality - blah blah blah and could go no further!
And the part about adultery being illegal in Utah - surely this is not still true?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 07:38AM

Sex between unmarried people ("fornication") is illegal in
Utah. There was a trial-balloon test case a few years back. An
unmarried couple that was living together agreed to be
prosecuted and have it go through the courts. However the
prosecutor's office did not want to pursue it.

So it's one of those "blue laws" that's still on the books but
would never be upheld through the appeal process if it were
enforced, which it isn't.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 05:09PM

Sort of, but not really. There is a law against "fornication," but that law is, of course, itself illegal. So, for all intents and purposes: No. Sex outside of marriage is not illegal in Utah or anywhere else in the US.

Posted by: Rose2008 ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 07:19AM

"homosexual condition" rolling eyes - sigh.

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 01:36PM

What I don't understand is why these people will not be made to understand that the laws of this country SHOULD NOT BE MADE BASED SOLELY ON THE WILL OF A GOD THAT NOT EVERYONE BELIEVES IN! Hello!

And yes, I realize that that is only one of many, many things that he doesn't understand. I just can't bring myself to read the whole thing.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: November 16, 2013 08:55PM

It's a strange phenomenon how men of religion use their sacred books (parts of them) to defend their religion which is based on their sacred books. They don't see the circular logic.

Posted by: glibberish ( )
Date: November 19, 2013 01:25AM

This! ^^^

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.