Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 07:52PM

...on MormonThink.com.

Any suggestions on how to get this message across to my just turned 18-year old fresh-faced relatively immature gullible brainwashed Nephew???

In all candor...is it even appropriate or even my place to suggest it to him???

Thanking you in advance for your brilliant ideas!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 07:57PM

Posted by: LivingontheEdge ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 08:29PM

Same situation as OP.
nephew leaves in Jan for mission in South America.
Do I as a closeted non believer give him any info to prep him for the questions he will get? Granted its s America so Internet access may not be as prevalent. But do I help or hurt if I try to plant seeds of doubt?

I've thought I might mail him some material to read at month 18 when he is starved for study material and has seen the fruits of his labors in country.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 08:35PM

can you mail info to him anonymously? To his home, before he goes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 08:36PM by thinker.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 02:09AM

yes. An anonymous card with the phrase from the OP and some links.

Maybe some quotes from prophets about how truth is important and the chrch can stand searches for truth - MT has quotes on the front page.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 05:46AM

Your just turned 18-year old fresh-faced relatively immature gullible brainwashed nephew?

Not a chance.

I wouldn't go there if I were you. People will leave the church when they're ready. If they're not, anything you do will be perceived as an attack, his conditioned defenses will go up, he won't hear what you're saying and you'll ruin the relationship.

Just stay in touch. Ask him about his investigators, what their concerns are and how he addresses them. Ask him about his own feelings. Try go get him to see things from another perspective (again, the investigators' point of view could be helpful). That's your only chance to feed him some information.

Remind him of who he was before he went on a mission. Reminisce about the good times you had together (if any). Ask him about his plans for after his mission.

He is in extreme brainwashing mode now. In the mission field, he will be overworked, emotionally drained, probably in less then excellent health, and he will feel powerless. Being immature, he will not be able to take control of his life.

You'll have to wait it out.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 06:35AM

I agree.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.