Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 01:05AM

Had no idea she was pregnant. All of a sudden today her baby bump was dragging on the ground. She was a completely normal size yesterday. Oh well, for better or worse I'm gonna be a granddaddy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 02:17AM

AWWW!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 02:18AM

That's funny you didn't even know she was pregnant. I've heard women use that same line-" I didn't even know I was pregnant" as she is on the delivery table.

Have fun with the pups. Will you be keeping them all or are there lots of takers? That was a dumb question...if you didn't know she was pregnant,how could anybody else know. I'm as old as dirt so sometimes I say stupid things.

Posted by: longOut ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:24AM

You did not know your dog was not spayed? Now you will give her pups away or sell them at 6 wks (equivalent to newborn human) before they can be parented by their mother? Mom dog was never protected from male dogs and now must suffer through this?

The Mormon connection I make is:
Overwhelm by family to notice the house pet
Can't deal with responsible vet care for your dog
Has she ever received a vaccine ?
The poor pups. They have no choice in their fate.
The dog's owner is somehow a "victim"
They'll be be fed the cheapest nasty puppy chow available and suffer nutritionally for life. Mom dog will never get spayed.
I worry about humans who breed litters by choice, but I grieve for your dog and her pups

Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:40AM

Yikes. Just a tad melodramatic and a lot judgmental, longout. Niiiiice!

GLA should march that trampy little b*tch to the bishop's office for a worthiness interview. I hope she can't take the sack-er-munt for a whole month.

To GLA, I'm sure you will make the best of the situation. You've had a lot going on lately. You deserve a reprieve. BTW, are the doggies still red?

Posted by: LongOut ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 04:04AM

Yes,that was harsh. I'm sorry. I'm next to a dog rescued by me when she was a puppy with 5 gunshot wounds. She is healthy and happy at 4 years old. I spent too much time near the AZ/Utah divide watching countless dogs die of disease,neglect,starvation and cruelty. Nobody vaccinated dogs for parvovirus . Spay/neuter didn't happen. I truly hope your dog survives this, that her puppies are healthy and that you won't let your pet have to endure this again.

please, please,please take care of them. Paris Hilton has 18 dogs now. SHE BOUGHT THEM ALL.

Glad you're not like that and that you care for your dog.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:17PM

My My My LongOUt,

You should use a different example. Why would anyone care that the poor little rich girl turned drug addict had her daddy buy 18 dogs. Now she is a hoarder too, lol.

No one in this string said anything about killing dogs. gheezzzsh

Congrats to GayLayAle's doggie. Hope she has loving puppies.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 10:59AM

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:12AM

to say ANY of this to GLA! What makes me wonder about how much you really know about dogs is your "6 week" comment. Having come from a dog-breeding family, I know of no-one who lets their pups go before 8 weeks. Most breeders now-a-days have taken it to 10 weeks.

And to GLA!!! Congrats Grandpa!!! Here's Bright Blessings that they will all find perfect homes and Mama will be well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 11:35AM by Heidi GWOTR.

Posted by: Rosyjenn ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:25PM

Wow, you really don't know GLA at all do you? He is a pretty awesome guy who has a lot of caring inside of him. That is evident by what he says. I think he one of the strongest and most amazing men I have come to know on here (even if I do mostly lurk) :-)

They are going to make fine puppy parents and assuming they will be fed crap, given away at 6 weeks etc. That was harsh and judgmental. Maybe get to know someone before you start automatically accusing them on animal abuse type stuff. Sheesh.

Date: February 09, 2011 12:34PM

I spend hundreds of hours a year as the business director of a no kill animal rescue. I'm very familiar with irresponsible pet owners. My best friend in the whole world is a dog groomer and boarder. I have several dogs of my own. I knew fucking well that she wasn't spayed, and the reason she's not is she has a nasal condition that would kill her under anesthesia.

So in a word, get bent.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 06:36AM

They know what causes that now. ;)

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 08:21AM

Congrats to all concerned, granddad! ;oD

By the way, if you hadn't been aware she was with child, then they must be love children, right? ;o))

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:08AM

The home teacher stopped by to see 8 year-old Billy's new puppies. Billy told the home teacher that these were Mormon puppies. The home teacher was puzzled, but let the comment go by with a smile. A couple of weeks later on sunday the home teacher asked Billy how his Mormon puppies were doing. Billy said, They're now Apostate puppies! Why's that? asked the shocked home teacher. Billy replied, Well, now they have their eyes open!

Anubis

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:32PM

Good one! *spit*

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:22AM

We know you love your dogs and that you take good care of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 11:22AM by cl2.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 11:47AM

Seeing puppies brought into the world is a touchy subject when you end up rescuing these critters and seeing what they go through. It becomes very emotional when you realize that over 6 million dogs are killed each year because they don't have homes. I've worked with various rescue societies and it's very grim. All my dogs are rescues. I actually help run a foundation that tries to raise monies for rescue societies and they are really hurting right now.

Everyone, please spay and neuter your pets.

And GLA, I'm sure you care about your dogs, you seem like a very kind person. Please please be sure they get good homes and don't separate them too young, 10 weeks is the minimum, They need each other and the mom to become socialized, otherwise they're doomed to harsh lives. Enjoy them they will bring you a lot of fun.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:42PM

It is a touchy subject because of pet overpopulation but at the same time, people are ridiculously judgmental if your dog has puppies. My dogs are rescues too, one was a young female not even a year old, and I didn't know at the time I got her that she was already pregnant. I got plenty of that judgmental attitude from people when I was trying to find homes for the puppies or taking them in for their shots. My dog had no problems with the pregnancy even though she was too young and the puppies were a larger breed than she was, and she was a good mother to them. I was able to find good homes for them by advertising them at $50 each, and then giving them away free after I found people who would be responsible owners.
O/T - I kept one puppy, which means I will have 3 dogs and the city limit is two. Anyone know how to deal with Animal Control on this? They already checked up on me because someone reported me when they saw 7 puppies in my backyard.

Posted by: Rosyjenn ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:20PM

I saw you mention it on FB and I meant to comment but wanted to say here congrats! New life, is always exciting. Happy for you!

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 12:45PM

Congrats on the puppies. You're in for a lot of work. And these WILL be apostate puppies!
Susan

Posted by: anon-front line shelter volunteer ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 01:36PM

I also spend several hundreds of hours a year as a frontline shelter volunteer worker in a chronically underfunded SPCA in a major city. I do not have a cushy job as a "business director" pushing paper in a so-called "no kill shelter" away from the stink, smells and sadness of a dilapidated animal shelter-rescue facility.

In the next 8-12 weeks we will be inundated with irresponsible people just like GLA who bring their puppies into us thinking that we need more puppies for people to adopt.

GLA if you knowingly allowed your un-spayed dog to associate with un-neutered dogs than this "accidental" pregnancy responsibility rests entirely upon you.

I would now like to extend an invitation to you to visit our shelter and have you decide and pick which gorgeous, cute, attentive, adorable, innocent wide-eyed puppies/dogs you would like to place a "T" (for terminal) on their kennel ID card which places them on euthanasia row and which will be dealt with by the end of the day due to the FACT that your # of puppies have now displaced the same # of dogs/puppies already in a shelter awaiting homes.

GLA please don't get me wrong as I admire you and am very fond of your Posts here at RFM but isn't irresponsibility still irresponsibility even when it's committeed by those we love and like that foster it? Why should you get a pass simply because you're a great guy?

Oh and just for clarification's sake there is NO SUCH THING as a "no-kill" shelter. Sure it's a "feel-good" temporary term but ultimately these facilities simply become super selective in which dogs they will accept and when their facility reaches capacity they simply shunt the public over to us at the SPCA to ultimately handle the dirty work of trying to take care of the ever increasing dog overpopulation pandemic in this country which happens one-at-a-time just like GLA's revelation that he "had no idea she was pregnant."

Next time any of you think that it would be nice to have a litter of puppies for the kids to experience at home take your kids to your local shelter and let them watch puppies being born and while you're there walk around the shelter with your kids and have them pick which cute adorable dogs they want to "T" for later that afternoon and explain to them what that means.

Those of us here on the front lines here have a little saying about those that do not spay and neuter their pets and that is that perhaps they themselves have a "learning problem."

And that my friends is really the way it is at the front lines of our last hope and resort for our beloved dogs and cats.

I encourage each and everyone of you to spend a Saturday or Sunday at your local shelter and see and experience it first hand. If you can not spend time then we are always seeking donations and or tangible items and you can check with your local shelter for a list of their current needs.

ALWAYS SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS. WE DO NOT NEED ANY MORE BACKYARD BREEDERS THAN WE ALREADY HAVE!

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 01:50PM

OK, anon-front line shelter volunteer, isn't it kind of pointless to get angry at GLA AFTER his dog is already pregnant? There's not much he can do about it now. And you know, shelters aren't all that great either. My local shelter doesn't allow volunteers because they say they don't have anyone to train the volunteers. And they wouldn't even let me inside to see the animals. I'm sure they could be doing a much better job of advertising adoptable animals, and I even offered to take pictures of the animals to put online myself, but they said no. It's the institutions that are the problem as much as the backyard breeders, and the fact that shelters are PAID to euthanize animals instead of adopting them out.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 01:50PM

I am sorry to hear that you have a really rough job. I also believe there are some good points you made about how sad it is to see them put down.

However, your harsh delivery does not further your cause. And attacking GLA, who is obviously doing the best he can and loves his pets, also will not garner you any followers. He is loved here. A gentle delivery will get you much further than an attack.

Posted by: anon-front line shelter volunteer ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 02:34PM

Oh my heck!!!

Harsh delivery???

Piper geez you seriously gotta be kidding me here huh?

Wow I'm now beside myself!

Please define "harsh" vs "reality" for me.

Please give me an example of a "gentle delivery" of the reality that I defined in my post. Thanks!

And Sexismyreligion I appreciate your input as well but I don't know what color the Sun is in your world!

"Shelters aren't all that great either". Of course they're not supposed to be great as it's just a stop-gap because we aren't the ones causing the problem!!! Please tell me what else you'd recommend for the literally millions of homeless animals in this country alone? Should we just close all shelter doors? If your local shelter is not allowing you to assist them then you aren't talking to the right people as we are always looking for any way (especially online advertising) to let folks know of adoptable animals.

I've gotta say that I've been doing this a long time and believe me when I say that receiving any "volunteer of the year award" is a true oxymoron for the type of work I'm involved in because it is a people-caused problem and I'd rather NOT be doing it.

But your comment about shelters getting PAID to euthanize animals instead of making every effort to adopting them out really takes the cake! (The only oblique reference that might come into play here about that comment is that yes we receive partial funding from the City government to receive monies that cover some operating costs INCLUDING the propietary purchase of euthanizing equipment and on-going purchase of euthanizing drugs but are you extrapolating that to mean that we get PAID to euthanize instead of adopt out?)

Just as there was a learning curve for all of us Ex-Mo's here I guess I've made the wild assumption that all of us already knew this and it was common knowledge.

And in addition due to the fact that I do indeed really like GLA and feel that he is a remarkable addition and attraction and personality to this RFM Board I take everything back that I previously said.

In hindsight now it was not GLA's irresponsibility after all.

Obviously it was his dog's fault that she forgot her purse that had her condoms in it that last fateful time that she spent the night out with the girls!!!

Date: February 09, 2011 02:41PM

...you might want to ASK me what it is I do for the shelter I work with, and what kind of facility it really is instead of making assumptions about me and the work I do.

This has nothing to do with me being a "great guy". First of all, MY DOG HAS A RESPIRATORY ISSUE THAT WILL NOT ALLOW HER TO BE UNDER ANESTHESIA. When she went into heat, we kept her and our male dog SEPARATED as best we could, so don't tell me I'm not responsible with my pets, you arrogant judgmental ass. I take better care of my dogs and cats than most people do of their own kids.

And as for the shelter I work with...I'm not just a "paper pusher." HOW DARE YOU MINIMALIZE THE WORK I DO??? WHAT GIVES YOU THAT RIGHT?? I work VERY closely with the animals themselves and assist in their care. The dogs and other animals that are brought into the shelter are those that no one else wants. We take the animals that the Humane Society is going to euthanize and give them a home and a place to live. The dogs we take in aren't the "cutest" or "youngest" or "smallest". Most of them have a lot of medical problems and are old and sick. The entire staff, INCLUDING MYSELF, work tirelessly to make sure they receive proper vet care and are comfortable and taken care of.

And as far as DISPLACEMENT goes, how the fuck do you know I'm not going to keep the puppies and take care of them, which is probably what I'll end up doing.

Also for the record, MOST OF THE ANIMALS I HAVE CAME FROM RESCUES. DON'T YOU *DARE* TELL ME I'M AN IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNER.

So, thank you for being JUST LIKE A FUCKING MORMON and passing all kinds of judgments and assumptions on me when you no nothing about my situation. It's also comical to me that you didn't even have the balls to post with your real nickname, and instead chose to go anonymous.

Go ride your high horse somewhere else.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:05PM

Don't blame you one bit for your anger GLA. When people judge us without even knowing our name......gee that sounds pretty Mormon to me.
I didn't know you worked with a shelter. What a tough job that must be sometimes. Be so rewarding when a pup finds a good home.

Good job GayLayAle!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 02:50PM

What the F@&K is wrong with you! I know you see some awful stuff, but get a hold of yourself! If everyone spayed and neutered every dog, there would soon be no dogs. Woud you rather all dogs came from puppy mills? I have 4 give away/rescue mutts(all fixed) that never would have been able to enrich my life if every dog was fixed. I know too many people are irresponsable pet owners, and let their dogs have litter after litter of pups, and don't take care of them, but why would you immediatly lump GLA as one of them. I don't even know what kind of breed he has, but they may be very popular, and find a good home no problem. Take a chill pill!

Congrats, GLA!

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 02:58PM

I will give you just a couple of examples, I WAS being gentle before when I commented.

anon-front line shelter volunteer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also spend several hundreds of hours a year as a
> frontline shelter volunteer worker in a
> chronically underfunded SPCA in a major city. I do
> not have a cushy job as a "business director"
> pushing paper in a so-called "no kill shelter"
> away from the stink, smells and sadness of a
> dilapidated animal shelter-rescue facility.

You stated that GLA's volunteer work is "cushy," when you have no idea what work he actually does and how close he is to the "stink." I see that he has now clarified that, and I believe you owe him an apology for your assumption. Your language here is very holier-than-thou and obviously rubbed people the wrong way.
>
>
> Next time any of you think that it would be nice
> to have a litter of puppies for the kids to
> experience at home take your kids to your local
> shelter and let them watch puppies being born and
> while you're there walk around the shelter with
> your kids and have them pick which cute adorable
> dogs they want to "T" for later that afternoon and
> explain to them what that means.

Do you have kids? That sounds like a GREAT(not) Saturday activity, taking my children to the shelter and tell them how the cute little puppies are going to be slaughtered later that day. Yes, it is a sad and harsh reality, and I believe in educating my children, but I will not be shoving their noses in it so violently. I believe that would be bad parenting and would emotionally scar my children.

Here is some more gentle approach for you:
It is a sad reality that some people do not take good care of their pets, and some drop them off at the shelter to be someone else's problem, maybe yours, anon. Again, I am sorry that you have to clean up someone else's mess. But it is not productive to call someone irresponsible for an accidental doggy pregnancy they did their best to prevent. And GLA has stated that he will not be dropping them off at your doorstep, he is now handling the situation in a responsible way.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 01:46PM

well GLA.... here's to your finding a home for those adorable little puppies! :)

Posted by: Just wow ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 03:09PM

Congratulations! The little pups will be adorable,

Not sure anyone has made the rather obvious comments about barefoot and pregnant but I won't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.