Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ChooseTheReasonable ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 12:21AM

A bit of back ground on me. I was a convert. I was going through rough times when I converted a few years ago. You know how the church is... they "love bomb" you. Well, I left and had my baptism cancelled. I wanted no part in that church. Fast forward to now, I hold no ill feelings against Mormons. I did for a while but I got over it. Getting baptized was so embarrassing because I knew that it was "wrong" only because it felt "wrong" but I so badly wanted to belong to some place. No one outside the church knows about my baptism. I told no one. I want to keep it this way.

I got this message today and want to hear your advice on how to handle Mormons wanting to send the mishies over.

I got this text message today from an acquaintance I met today:
"Would you b intrested in learning more about the lds church? I could arrange 4 missionaries to teach you at home if you want. If not den no worries. It was nice 2 meet you!"

I don't want to be rude. I am debating whether to tell this acquaintance that I am a former member. This blindsided me and I don't know how to respond. Should I give a reason? Tell them I don't stand with the lds church on any issue (racist, sexist, etc.?) I guess I'd like advice on how to proceed? thnx!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: finalfrontier ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 12:30AM

How valuable could this acquaintance turn out to be? Go from there, but anything ranging from a simple "not really" to a lot harsher things...

Posted by: wideawake ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 01:24AM

<edit - posted 2x by accident>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2013 01:27AM by wideawake.

Posted by: wideawake ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 01:25AM

It sounds like this is someone you just met, so I would say a longer explanation is not necessary at this point.

a simple "thank you, but i'm not interested" should suffice.

however, if the topic resurfaces, this person has not taken no as an answer and then I would get into more details, ie, that you were a member and why you left, to varying levels of harshness as you see fit.

if their insistence continued beyond that I would consider severing ties with this person.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 06:23PM

I agree, this is a good response.

I'd actually say it's best not to give a reason, unless they specifically reply back asking why.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 02:26AM

"Thanks very much, appreciate your confidence, but I'm set."

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 02:28AM

You know, you really are not responsible for the feelings of others.
Adults take responsibility for their own feelings.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 09:51AM

Send your friend the link to mormonthink.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 09:56AM

Mormons see that as an invitation to counter your objections. They often show up at the door just to tell you why you're making a mistake in wanting to turn them down.

Say this, "I am not interested. Do not send missionaries."

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:00AM

I think a "no thank you" would be sufficient. No explanation, no mention of any previous contact with TSCC..zip...nada...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:28AM

Otherwise, you're being disingenuous.

Posted by: GQ cannonball ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:31AM

Agreed.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:24AM

If this is a good friend, then by all means tell them you were a member and WHY you joined in the first place - you wanted to belong to something. YOU did not know their beliefs on much of anything and found out it was all wrong. Then I would say you have no doubt that you will never go back to attend that organization again so please do not ask me about having mishies come over. If that friend is offended then they are not a true friend and sever the relationship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2013 10:28AM by honestone.

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:25AM

Do NOT tell them you are a former member.
It's no one's business and it will set you up for further targeting.

Simply say "I'm not interested", repeat as needed.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:29AM

I would just ignore the message and hope they get the hint. If your acquaintance buttonholes you and asks you again, say "No, thank you." Don't explain yourself. Don't let them get to you. Just say no.

I've been out of the Mormon church for 13 years, and to this day I occasionally get these breathless, misspelled queries about my interest in Mormonism. It's best just to give them as little effort as possible.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:31AM

"I looked into it a while ago and found it wasn't for me. So no thanks."

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 06:03PM

This is perfect.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:53AM

I don't have a problem turning down Mormons. Before I resigned, a guy at work (I live in a Utah)came up to me and asked me if I wanted home teachers. The first words out of my mouth were "Fuck no!!!" I never saw any home teachers.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 01:01PM

"No thank you, and please do not contact me again."

Your acquaintance misused your trust. I would have nothing further to do with him.

Date: November 17, 2013 04:36PM

Thanks for your responses. I haven't responded yet. I will give it a few days while I think about what to write.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 05:34PM

You say that nobody knows you were ever Mormon.

People who have never been Mormon would generally ignore the email or respond "no thanks." No discussion or explanation needed.

If the person pursues the question further, or God forbid sends Missionaries, the typical response would be outrage and incomprehension of such ridiculous behavior.

In any case, there is no reason at any time to tell anyone that you don't want to tell that you were ever Mormon.

Posted by: neverevermomo ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 08:42PM

THIS. NeverMos would never do such a thing. Outrage would be appropriate if they are sent to your home anyway. Repeat as necessary.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 06:09PM

No thank you.
but I was thinking of building a mall or helping needy children. Which would you think would be more pleasing to God.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 06:42PM

Did you have your name removed from the church? Did you officially resign from the church? My mom was for over 10 years inactive and moved outside the usa and somehow they found her and a visiting teacher got her active again. So what I am saying is that maybe your membership record is in your friends ward.

Date: November 17, 2013 08:32PM

Yes, I had my name removed from church records and officially resigned from TSCC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.