Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 11:01AM

Last night I noticed a long-time friend had posted pictures of her daughter's recent temple wedding on Facebook. Since this friend is also very closely related to the one guy other than my husband I was ever really in love with, I scanned the pictures and sure enough, there he was. Better looking than ever. Until...

It suddenly occurred to me that given the age of her daughter, the girl probably took out her endowments just prior to the wedding and he was probably there for that too. Which led me to picture him in his temple clothes. Looking something like this:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2580/3816206493_1bdd4f0e45_z.jpg

or this:

http://s104.photobucket.com/user/HeavyStriker_01/media/m1-sign.jpg.html

Guess what? HUGE bucket of ice water. Suddenly he looked creepy to me. And this wasn't the first time I'd used this technique. When someone lectures you on how you NEED to get back to church for the sake of your children or how you need to repent or how someday all good people will be LDS, I've found picturing them all dressed up in those ridiculous temple robes takes all the sting out of their words. It does take some practice to not burst out laughing in their face but it's worth it for what it gives you in not taking their words seriously. Just a little tip for your Monday morning.

PS: Here's one of a woman:

http://www.salamandersociety.com/proxy/051022three_faces_eve.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 11:01AM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 11:03AM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last night I noticed a long-time friend had posted
> pictures of her daughter's recent temple wedding
> on Facebook. Since this friend is also very
> closely related to the one guy other than my
> husband I was ever really in love with, I scanned
> the pictures and sure enough, there he was.
> Better looking than ever. Until...
>
> It suddenly occurred to me that given the age of
> her daughter, the girl probably took out her
> endowments just prior to the wedding and he was
> probably there for that too. Which led me to
> picture him in his temple clothes. Looking
> something like this:
>
> http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2580/3816206493_1bdd
> 4f0e45_z.jpg
>

Your friends daughter married Lionel Ritchie?

Date: November 18, 2013 11:07AM

No - that would have been cool though :). This guy I was picturing is a relative of the bride, old enough to be her father.

Posted by: morgana ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 10:46PM

When I was a teenager, I loved Lionel Ritchie's songs on the radio, so I said to my dad in the car one day, "Can I just marry Lionel Ritchie?" That was the first time I heard about how the church frowned on mixed race marriages.

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 11:04AM

I thought the temple was weird when I was TBM, but now I find it absolutely horrifying. Now I can't stop picturing my in-laws dressed like that, thanks ;)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 11:24AM

I'm conjuring up a vision of Richard G. Scott getting out of bed in the morning in rumpled one-piece garments, and wandering off to the bathroom to take a pee.

Ah. There it is.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 11:26AM

CA Girl, you've just inspired me:

Next time a TBM starts to preach at me I'll just laugh and say, "sorry. I'm just picturing you in your temple robes."

Date: November 18, 2013 01:54PM

I never thought about telling them I was thinking that - that might shut them up for good. lol

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 11:40AM

What an inventive twist on the old "picture them naked" ploy. All though. No don't go there. Too creepy!

Your idea is brilliant!

Date: November 18, 2013 01:53PM

One time, back when we were still LDS, someone gave my then 10 year old daughter advice on talking in sacrament meeting - picture the audience in their underwear. The person knew our family was speaking in Sacrament meeting the next week and was just trying to make my DD feel less nervous but she got up to give her two minute talk, saw our chubby, mustached next door neighbor in the audience, pictured him sitting there in his garments and almost busted up laughing. I was sitting behind her and thought she just forgot part of her talk because she was nervous but the truth was, she'd been trying hard not to laugh.

I'd forgotten that until just now.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 06:11PM

You know what we need? We need a sluttified version of the Mormon temple robes, for women to wear at Halloween. You know, basic concept, you take a real outfit, that people really wear, then remove the vast majority of the fabrique.

I am now imagining a couple women I know in said outfit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 06:12PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Date: November 18, 2013 07:20PM

Naughty forbiddencokedrinker :) lol.

Here's a thought for you then - The woman of your choice in a white string bikini, with those sheer temple robes sort of covering something and that green apron hiding the best for last.

Nope, sorry - still a creepy visual even if you make it a guy in white surfer shorts. It doesn't matter what you put under it, put those robes over it and you have a giant mental NO WAY from me.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 06:24PM

Yes, I do that. When I'm having a conversation with a TBM or just standing in the check-out line and see garment lines on the person in front of me, I think:

REALLY? YOU dressed up in those weird clothes, learned secret passwords/handshakes, and promised to give TSCC everything you have or every will have? REALLY?

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 06:36PM

Ooh just looking at the men in those costumes made me feel a little sick!

I love this idea. Can't wait to use it! Haha

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 06:39PM

Nope. Never wore 'em. Only time I ever saw my folks in theirs when they were laid out in their caskets. Was kinda surprised at how bizarre I found the whole apron deal. I'd seen masons wear theirs and think they're weird too....just sayin'

Ron Burr

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 06:41PM

My TBM husband looks pretty funny in HIS temple costume. Ahhhh, memories of the cult Handshake House costume party! What a waste of time it was, all a bunch of silliness that cost us a fortune.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 07:45PM

Everytime they start to get arrogant or hateful, I laugh hysterically and tell them I'm picturing them in their temple clothes.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 10:37PM

Well, now I will. Thanks this is a good idea.

Posted by: Captive Jack ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 09:57AM

A co-worker (fellow ex-mo) and I were in a meeting, listening to another co-worker drone on. I asked the ex-mo "Do you think this guy is a bishop?" His reply: "Can't you just picture him in his temple garb?". I have never been able to look at him without laughing a little since then.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.