Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 02:56PM

^
|

I hate this question and I don't know why???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 02:56PM by Pagag.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 02:59PM

It's a stupid question.
Maybe that's why.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 03:03PM

It's presumptuous. It first assumes that you went on a mission, then it assumes that you'd have no problem revealing potentially personal information to a less than personal acquaintance... There's also the lessor assumption that you enjoyed your mission and want to talk about it. It's also a chance for them to gloat if you didn't go on a mission or don't want to talk about it.

Of course mormons have no problem stepping over all those boundaries, so they're going to ask.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 03:05PM

Finally Free! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course mormons have no problem stepping over
> all those boundaries, so they're going to ask.

All. of. the. time.

Posted by: nickname ( )

Part of it probably has something to do with the poor spelling :p

But seriously, I think a lot of it comes from the way a lot of TBMs use this as a not-so-subtle way of judging your "worthiness." Its a sneaky way of finding out what they really want to know: "Did you serve an honorable mission?" What they think of you as a person often depends a great deal on whether you say that you served a mission and what you say about it.

Posted by: amiwhiteyet ( )

Probably because you recognize it for what it truly is. It's used to rank people based on their supposed worthiness like a credit score. Are you BIC? 1 point. Eagle Scout? 1 point. Serve a mission? 2 points, sealed in the temple? 3 points. Ever been a Bishop? 5 points, and so on...

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 03:15PM

Yep.
Start of a line of questions to rank you.
Because having no actual integrity, their self-worth depends entirely upon externals.

A stupid question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 03:16PM by zenjamin.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 03:12PM

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 03:18PM

I've gone off about this before. I'm not Mormon. I live in Utah and I speak English, Spanish, and French. I go to the gym. I speak Spanish with my friends at the gym. O.K. Cool. Every time I'm asked "Where did ya go on yer mission?" (Yes that's in Utahn'.). I always reply the same way. "Finland. It was great."

This is my way of testing someone. And so far I am 100 percent. The person who asked the question does not care as long as I went on a mission. It's funny to me how shallow people are.

Posted by: secular ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 03:22PM

Rh minds me of when I was going on my mission. It was right after or before I went through the temple for the first time. I was at the church clothing store purchasing garments and the lady asked where I was going on my mission. I said California. She didn't really react. Then my mom pipes up, "But what language will you be speaking?" The lady all of a sudden seems intrigued. I responded Chinese. Her comment was priceless and why I had stopped telling people anything besides where I was going. She said, "Now that's interesting." Seriously? Its only interesting because its a foreign language? So much of going on a "sacred" mission for goD.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:13PM

"I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Posted by: joejoe50 ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:18PM

I was asked that by ETBs granddaughter once when we lived in the same ward. My answer was "I didn't go on a mission. Her response was "Why not?" My reply was "I didn't want to." That's when her husband intervened and told her that everybody doesn't have to go on a mission. I felt like I was at an inquisition and got a reprieve from the lieutenant.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:21PM

For Men

1 European mission (the very elect, only these men are able to endure the hardship of a European mission)

2 Asian mission (the smartest, only these men are smart enough to learn an Asian language)

3 Spanish speaking mission (smart enough to learn a language, not elect enough to not baptize while on the mission)

4 English speaking mission (dumb dudes)

5 Temple Square (for the men this is the ultimate insult)

For Women

1 Temple Square (hottie with a naughty body)

2 Foreign language (not as dumb as most women)

3 English speaking (sweet spirit)

Jesus, I need to take a shower after typing this, I feel dirty.

Posted by: secular ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:45PM

+1

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 05:33PM

It's so (unfortunately) true. Imagine being judged as less worthy for going on a mission to a "lesser" place where you had no say in where you got sent.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 06:10PM

You are so f**king right. I feel like I need to shower, too.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 08:48PM

Hmm... where do English speaking European missions fit in there? I guess we must be very dumb, but very elect anyway.

But other than that, its a sadly accurate list. Though no TBM would ever admit that, of course!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:44PM

I am old enough to tell them I was drafted.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:54PM

I hate it because it shows that they have nothing else to talk about besides cult and are socially awkward.

Ask me about hobbies, travel, books, drugs, sexcapades, antiques, cooking, hotels........ANYTHING!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:59PM

What's interesting to me (for those who respond and did go on a mission) is the inevitable follow up question of "Did you like it there?" *expectant phony smile*

Of course they all want to hear about how you loved it and loved the people and how it was totally awesome. They look shocked if the reply is anything else.

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 05:02PM

The Marines.

TBMs aren't sure how to respond.

Posted by: exmo101 ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 05:03PM

London

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 05:14PM

For Jack Rabbit. I too have a friend who was in the marines. His answer was always "Mission? I went on 56 missions when I served. And you?"

Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 05:27PM

Albuquerque, NM mission. I served mainly around our Lamanite brothers, the Navajo. And, I feel terribly that I was responsible for getting 34 people baptized into TSSC.

I know that's not the topic of the OP...I was just feeling guilty for baptizing so many. I'm crossing my fingers they all went inactive like sooooo many have (or realized the truth).

Posted by: nurshandstrengthen ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 05:29PM

It's almost as bad as, "So, where did you serve?" LoL

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 08:55PM

To Hell--or at least a dress rehearsal for it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.