Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 11:36AM

History:

I have been divorced for a short while and had a long fight that got my ass handed to me.. but that's ok & I'll be Ok. She quit me and is now searching for her worthy priesthood holder... If that's her dream Good for her.

Movin on:

So I met a gal that is so fun to be with and has so much joy & optimism in her life. I'm not rushing into things either but after a few dates in her small town I want to show her a nice time in slc.
Hoping to find all day parking downtown and would appreciate some suggestions on what to do and where. She is casual and open to anything so tell me what you got.
If anyone say's visit temple square I will hunt you down and send missionaries to all your family.
So to summarize.. I am open to anything.. especially during the day activities with interesting places or dining. I'm open to social drinking for her as I don't drink...yet!.
We are both late 50's btw so base jumping off City creek is out. We do have a short evening commitment, otherwise we are good to go.

opinions appreciated..

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shareesus ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 11:48AM

I am a Salt Lake Cityer, and I love this city! I guess it kind of depends on what you are into, but there are many great restaurants and sites to see.
If she is into great food and social drinking, one of my favorite places to go is the Bayou on State street in Downtown Salt Lake. On weekends it has live music, and the food is to die for. I am a vegetarian, and they have great options for my kind as well. Just up the street a little bit from the Bayou is a vintage clothing store called Decades, which is a great place to go to as well. There is tons of cool old styles and jewelry, easy to spark up all sorts of conversations in that awesome little shop.

Don't go to City Creek. It's a depressing place when you realize all the dollars sunk into it, and all the worldly and over-priced things they are promoting. The Gateway is better.

Brewvies downtown would be a place to go for social drinking and to see a movie. All the people are really friendly, and it is nice to kick back and drink a beer or two while watching a good flick.

Memory Grove is right next to the Capitol Building, and is a very beautiful place to take a date and walk around and just get to know eachother better. Their is also so many cute places in the Avenue's that you can look up and find. The Wild Grape is also a restaurant I would suggest.

I hope you show her a good time in this place! If you go to the right places in Salt Lake, you can get away from the Mormon oppression that is the rest of Utah.

Posted by: Keyser ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 12:00PM

You interpret "downtown" more broadly than I do. Which is good for the OP. To me, the Bayou and the Avenues aren't downtown. But I live here.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 11:52AM

Oh, damn. I was going to suggest BASE jumping. *sighs* Good luck. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing to do in SLC. Hmm. How about... Naw. I got nothing.

Date: November 21, 2013 12:18PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, damn. I was going to suggest BASE jumping.
> *sighs* Good luck. To the best of my knowledge,
> there is nothing to do in SLC. Hmm. How about...
> Naw. I got nothing.

yes you do perv... say it! lol

Posted by: Keyser ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 11:56AM

I actually like SLC but you're going to run out of things to do downtown pretty quick on an all-day date. I know you said you are coming from a small town but SLC isn't NYC. You really can't just roam around and check out the neighborhoods.

There are some good restaurants downtown - Bambara, The New Yorker, etc. - but how many are you going to hit in a day? And there are some good bars, depending on your taste - Beerhive, The Red Door, Kristauf's - but unless barhopping all day is really your cup of tea that's going to get old pretty quick. And the bars on a typical Saturday are dead during the day. I have spent entire Saturdays lounging in the Beerhive watching sports and had three or four drinks all day - there's no reason for the bartenders to run you out.

I guess what I'm saying is downtown is great for grabbing a meal, a drink, and seeing the symphony, a concert, or going to a Jazz game. But that's about it. There are some art galleries downtown, the Leonardo, etc. If your date is interested in shopping, there is City Creek but I doubt you're going to want to make that the focal point of a date.

I guess you could fill a day if you were really determined. But I'd opt for maybe a morning or evening downtown and a day of skiing (or whatever it is you are into) over trying to keep a woman entertained in downtown SLC all day.

Date: November 21, 2013 12:16PM

thanks so far..

I was thinking a couple cans of spray paint and tag that big gray wall near city creek with 'vist exmormon.org' would be fun. I figured you guys from rfm would bail me out. : ) j/k

We actually may hit the Leonardo ( Dead Sea Scrolls) cause I heard the guy that translated the dead sea scrolls used a "head in the turbin" technique to translate them.

We are both in decent shape so all day wont be a problem,
I'm thinking that Gihlgal gardens might be a hoot to.

anyway I'm excited and hope more chime in.

Thanks

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 12:27PM

Check out the planetarium in Gateway, SLC art museum, go to the U of U there is bit to see there including the new natural history museum.
there is also the zoo and Red butte garden. If it is not too mormony there is This is the place monument and park.

Posted by: Cornelius ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 12:34PM

I was going to suggest Gihlgal Gardens, that place is pretty creepy, but it is fun taking pictures with the Jospeh Smith Sphynx.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 02:32PM

We did the Leonardo and the Gardens this spring.
We parked at trolley square for free.
We had lunch at Rodizios. All you can eat. I know they serve alcohol but no idea when they start.
Browsed Wellers book store in trolley square as well.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 12:20PM

I don't have any suggestions. I'm just happy for you. I hope you have a great time!

Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 12:23PM

I was also going to suggest Dead Sea Scrolls. Try parking on 300 east.

Date: November 21, 2013 02:22PM

But be careful, heathen exmos work at the Leo :)

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 03:46PM

Posted by: vectorvirus ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 07:19PM

I recommend temple square all day long. come and get me!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m93xy5vcuO1ruo6h0o1_500.jpg

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 07:21PM

The natural history museum at Thanksgiving point is awesome.

Kennecot copper mine is great too.

Personal fave is hiking in Timpanagos.

Date: November 21, 2013 09:27PM

great replies and thank you...

but what about parking... We are not shopping so validating isn't in the cards so where could we meet downtown and park
that is reasonably close to to the vortex of universe of slc.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 10:29PM

Just a heads-up for anyone in the greater SLC area -- coming up in a month or so are Olympic Trials events at the Kearns Oval -- long track from Dec. 27th to Jan. 1st and short track from Jan. 2-5. The short track in particular is very exciting to watch, and the skaters will be going all out in their pursuit of an Olympic berth. When skaters are walking on the track between events, they are usually very open to meeting the public. Chat with a future Olympian!

http://www.usspeedskating.org/

I would also check out the training center in Park City to see if anything interesting is going on there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2013 10:45PM by summer.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 10:36PM

Not in down town,

Utah Museum of Fine Art
Utah Natural History Museum

Down town:

The Grand Theater

http://the-grand.org/events/176-emotion

Date: November 22, 2013 12:47AM

Free parking on 600 south and catch public transport in the free fare zone.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 04:10AM

Why does it have to be downtown? You could go to Hogle Zoo. It is fun in the winter cause hardly anyone is there. You can also stop by THis is the Place Monument and laugh yourselves sick about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.