Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: otedge ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 05:02PM

I finally watched the BOM musical online. (It's on YouTube). It's obviously a bootleg copy but the entire thing is there. Broadway version with original cast. The chubby actor (gad?) was better than I expected. The other guy (rannells?) was good too. I almost flew to NYC just to see it last year -- glad I didn't now that I've seen it. Would probably catch a touring show -- but I think it has been substantially over-hyped. (I'm probably alone on that at RfM).

Overall I thought is was OK -- funny in some parts. Some of the MO stuff was funny. Some not -- but maybe funnier to never-mos. I thought the jokes about AIDS and genital mutilation were in poor taste. Surprised it won the tony -- it just wasn't THAT good in my opinion. Music was good mostly - I have the soundtrack and have heard much of it before.

Here's my question for those who have seen the YouTube version -- this was filmed while still in previews. How much (and which parts) were changed for the final version? A YouTube commenter said there were lots of changes, but didn't specify. The music seemed to match up with the soundtrack.

Anyone who watches the YouTube version (or seen it in previews) know about the changes?

Thx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: grumpyoldfart ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 05:04PM

it is sadly already gone from youtube

Date: November 21, 2013 05:06PM

grumpyoldfart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it is sadly already gone from youtube

What? That was fast. I watched it this morning.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 06:51PM

If you are too cheap to buy tickets to a traveling version just forget it. Part of the experience of live theater, is LIVE THEATER. The best part for me was the person sitting next to me hyperventilating they were laughing so hard in Spooky Mormon Hell Dream segment. It's all offensive, has very little realism, but it is someone who is outside the cult offerering their interpretation of their understanding of the farce that is a Mormon Mission.

Date: November 21, 2013 08:02PM

BG Wrote:
> If you are too cheap to buy tickets to a traveling
> version just forget it. Part of the experience of
> live theater, is LIVE THEATER. The best part for
> me was the person sitting next to me
> hyperventilating they were laughing so hard in
> Spooky Mormon Hell Dream segment. It's all
> offensive, has very little realism, but it is
> someone who is outside the cult offerering their
> interpretation of their understanding of the farce
> that is a Mormon Mission.

Thank you so much for answering my question in such a wonderful and super helpful way. Do you rate all of your life experiences but how much the person next to you is enjoying it? That's a very good attitude during sex -- I'm not sure it applies to much else.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 10:12PM

It's called a group experience. Maybe noone invites you.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 06:54PM

Penn Jillette's review. (swearing) He's a never mo that seemed to like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPfJYEL5mSg

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 07:00PM

I have never seen such an amazing audience reaction in my life as the night I saw Book of Mormon and I have been to a lot of theater. Bootleg youtube copies could never do it justice.

As an RM exmo, I cried and laughed at the same time all the way through.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 11:05PM

I agree whole heartedly. I just saw the musical this afternoon in Denver. You could pick out the tbms and the never mos or exmos by the audience reaction.

The scenes about gay feelings and the moron need to ignore it brought laughter to some and self righteous to others. The fact that two rows of people in my section left at the break saying they were offended and appalled by the play spoke volumes.

During the show there was not a part of it that someone did not lose it in laughter.

You really need to see it in person. The crowd plays a huge part in the success of the play.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 10:34PM

It didn't win a Tony. It was nominated for 11 and won 9, which I believe was only 2 away from the all time record. Won a Grammy too, and a bunch of other awards. There are already multiple touring companies. Don't know how far ahead in NYC it is sold out now, but in 2012, it was sold out about 9 months ahead.

So I can believe that, or your insightful review of a bad bootleg copy, declaring it to be OK, but nothing to get too excited about.

What to do?

Date: November 21, 2013 10:54PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> It didn't win a Tony. It was nominated for 11 and
> won 9, which I believe was only 2 away from the
> all time record. Won a Grammy too, and a bunch of
> other awards. There are already multiple touring
> companies. Don't know how far ahead in NYC it is
> sold out now, but in 2012, it was sold out about 9
> months ahead.
>
> So I can believe that, or your insightful review
> of a bad bootleg copy, declaring it to be OK, but
> nothing to get too excited about.
>
> What to do?

Well you could believe both -- that I didn't love it but lots of other people did.

Sensing lots of "hostility" toward my post. What the hell is up with that, lol? Yet no one has actually answered my question.

For the record, I never watch the Super Bowl, I didn't like Avengers, I never skied when I lived in Utah and I couldn't pick a Kardasian out of a lineup -- so what the hell do I know about what's cool and popular?

Posted by: Cornelius ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:55PM

I have lived in Utah for nearly 30 years and I have never been skiing. It is amazing how offended people get when they find this out.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 01:08PM

Well maybe for the mountains and deserts. But at least give cross country skiing a try.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 03:57PM

The Mormon persecution complex is strong in this one.

Otedge said: "I thought the jokes about AIDS and genital mutilation were in poor taste."

I'll give you my take on this part of your post. A group of us--exMos, a few neverMos and NOMs, and a believer--attended together and went to eat after the show. One of the neverMos asked me if I thought the jokes about AIDS, genital mutilation, babies being raped, etc., were extreme and if they were really necessary.

They *were* extreme, but they weren't gratuitous. A major theme in the play is how these sheltered boys (and girls) from a white-bread (and white-bred) church go to a country rife with unthinkable atrocities with the naive belief that **A BOOK** will solve all their problems. Just read the book. VoilĂ ! Problems solved.

---------------------------------------------
***SPOILER ALERT in next sentence*** Why do you think the perpetrators of those atrocities shove a "Book of Mormon" up the Elder's keister?
---------------------------------------------

It appears that you believe you are the arbiter of "classy" and "in good taste." Do you think your posts on RfM reflect class and good taste or does defending TSCC make you exempt from the standards you demand of others?

You might want to consider that when you don't understand a situation or a person, the problem might be something missing in you and not always something wrong with the things or the people you are judging. Maybe try asking a question rather than making an accusation. Some people are naturally empathic, but when that's not the case, empathy *can* be learned. A good first step is getting off the high horse.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 04:00PM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: exmouse ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 11:50PM

I have tickets to see it in SF Dec. 1 with my never-Mo spouse. I'll be glad to report back! I've been wanting to see it and am very excited. I'm a big South Park fan, so have a teen boy's sense of humor :) despite my lack of proper genitalia!

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: November 21, 2013 11:54PM

Date: November 21, 2013 11:54PM

exmouse Wrote:
> I have tickets to see it in SF Dec. 1 with my
> never-Mo spouse. I'll be glad to report back! I've
> been wanting to see it and am very excited. I'm a
> big South Park fan, so have a teen boy's sense of
> humor :) despite my lack of proper genitalia!

I'm sure you (edit: will) just love all the jokes and singing about female genital mutilation. It's a real riot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 12:13AM by otedge.

Posted by: oremgirl ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:09AM

I can't compare and contrast the you tube version vs the live musical, probably not too many people care enough to dissect it for you. I'll bet if you contacted the South Park crew, they would be happy to explain the difference to you.

I saw it live and found it most entertaining, but I had just read "King Leopold's Ghost" so I was not surprised or horrified by what they brought up about what goes on in Africa--I was glad they were bringing the truth of what goes on there to a bunch of folks in Denver.

Posted by: oremgirl ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:13AM

Plus...I laughed my butt off! I felt like knew all those missionaries in the play at one time or another in my life. South Park nailed the stereotypes. IMHO--and I know it is my HUMBLE opinion because I am a woman...

Posted by: james ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 01:08AM

It's called copyright infringement. People tend to forget that the actors, back-up singers, orchestra, stage crew, janitors, staff are paid by ticket sales, not youtube views. You are watching something for free that other people worked for and deserve to get money for. Perhaps that's the underlying reason for some hostility.

Date: November 22, 2013 12:31PM

james Wrote:
> It's called copyright infringement. People tend
> to forget that the actors, back-up singers,
> orchestra, stage crew, janitors, staff are paid by
> ticket sales, not youtube views. You are watching
> something for free that other people worked for
> and deserve to get money for. Perhaps that's the
> underlying reason for some hostility.

Yeah that's probably it.

Not.

Posted by: Cornelius ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 12:57PM

I have lived in Utah for nearly 30 years and I have engaged in copyright infringement numerous times. It is amazing how offended people get when they find this out.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 04:04AM

What is the on line link for it?

Posted by: INOU ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 01:14PM

You'd think you'd be smart enough to use a different screen name "otedge". For heaven's sake, what kind of BOM "fans" do you think you'd actually find here. Such a horrible asshole thing to do quoting everyone exactly. Seriously, you don't have anything better to do? What do your apologist friends pay you btw?

Date: November 22, 2013 01:25PM

INOU Wrote:
> You'd think you'd be smart enough to use a
> different screen name "otedge". For heaven's sake,
> what kind of BOM "fans" do you think you'd
> actually find here. Such a horrible asshole thing
> to do quoting everyone exactly. Seriously, you
> don't have anything better to do? What do your
> apologist friends pay you btw?

Not following you. A joke, maybe?

Posted by: dadsprimalscream ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 01:18PM

Let me say this... I'm a huge live theater fan and I've NEVER seen a filmed version of a play that was any good. It just doesn't work. I've seen it in person twice and I'd agree that the best part is experiencing it with others.

I'd also add that both downloading and watching a bootleg copy is unethical, dishonest and slimy ... so I find it odd that you don't like a little vulgarity to mix in with your rip-off of professional artists.

Date: November 22, 2013 01:28PM

"I've NEVER seen a filmed version of a play that was any good. It just doesn't work"

I was just going to say that. It Never Ever works.

Date: November 22, 2013 01:32PM

dadsprimalscream Wrote:
>
> I'd also add that both downloading and watching a
> bootleg copy is unethical, dishonest and slimy ...
> so I find it odd that you don't like a little
> vulgarity to mix in with your rip-off of
> professional artists.

I have no problem with vulgarity. At all. I never mentioned vulgarity.

I don't find AIDS (and the deaths that result) or genital mutilation funny. I do find it funny that people (ie many RfMers) who are so offended by an unannounced ring of the door bell by a missionary, HT, or other cult member are not offended by a room full of people laughing at AIDS deaths and female genitals being cut off. Because after all it is SO MICH funnier when others are laughing too.

Date: November 22, 2013 01:44PM

Did you ever think it's you Otedge?

Did you bother to watch the Penn Gillette video? OR do you just stick to the bad bootlegs?

Penn says it is a complete love letter to humanity and a complete dismissal of religion. That is what I saw. He also says, "love man, hate religion" or something like that. Couldn't agree more. The show is a great joyous celebration of humanity superseding religion. That is what everyone is seeing and cheering and laughing about and making us feel like maybe we belong to each other more than we thought. It's the people with the stick up their ass that are leaving in disgust. The rest see the humanity.

And bootleg youtube is not theater.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 01:58PM

Well I personally hope it's good as I got tickets in January at the Pantages.

Posted by: 1997resignee ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 03:13PM

If you didn't like it, just shrug your shoulders and say, "Hasa Diga Eebowai!" and move on.

FOR ME - It is funny, profane, and vulgar - but certainly funny. I saw it in Austin, Texas and was suprised at how many "grandma" grey haired women were in the crowd. They seemed to laugh as hard as everyone else. You need to consider the source of this satire - Trey Parker and Matt Stone (South Park fellows... along with one movie title of "Orgasmo" - which I saw back in 1998 - also in Austin, TX).

I laughed a lot, but, just shrugged at the profane and vulgar (as it was intended to be such by the writers); I hummed and sung "Hasa Diga Eebowai" enough the day of the show and after that my daughter started to join in with me... she's only 4 so I never told her what it is intended to mean.

Part of me expected "more", but, I got my money's worth and certainly laughed plenty; and, with respect to the profane and vulgar - during those parts I was highly entertained by simply looking around at the nearby senior citizens who seemed to be really enjoying the show.

My wife, a never-mo who grew up in a former soviet republic found the show to be vulgar, but, that certainly did not stop her from laughing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.