Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 03:59AM

What is the garmie check? I was born and raised in Utah and I don't know. I really don't. How does one check to see if someone is wearing garmies?
I know some non-Mos who wear undershirts in cold weather. How would you know if they are garmies vs undershirts unless you know how to check the bottoms too (which sounds gross)?
Is it the entire package......i.e. how they look along with the visual garmie appearance? Anyone?
And how do you tell on women? Don't they have some sleeveless ones? Camisole style?
I am probably real naive about this since I can't imagine checking someone for garmies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OneMightyAndStrong ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 07:53AM

I never went to BYU, but as I recall, the garmie check involved some eager-to-get-a-husband girl rubbing the thigh of young man just above the knee where the bottom hem of his garments would be.

If she felt the hem of his garments, she would know that he had been on a mission and was therefore marriage material.

I don't see any corresponding reason for a guy to want to check a gal for garments...unless his intention was to get beyond them.

I can't believe there was a time in my life when I thought this was endearing. Now it just seems creepy. God how I wish I could go back and re-do my life from about the age of 18 to 25.

Posted by: trog ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 08:26AM

I think garment check usually refers to a feel-up on the leg of a man, but garment wear can be in-your-face obvious even if you aren't looking for it. The crew neck style of top for men isn't obvious, but the smiley top style often is. The hems of garments are visible through most casual and dress attire, so you can often see if a man is wearing garments just by looking at the thigh above the knee when he is sitting. On women the garment seems most obvious across the shoulder blades, but can often be discerned on the thigh. And for men or women a white shirt or blouse is almost always transparent enough to see the persons underwear through. And of course garments are often exposed when people wear shorts, short sleeves, or a low cut women's shirt. Garments can be hidden with the right wardrobe choices, but it seems that few people make the effort.

Posted by: stuntc ( )
Date: November 27, 2013 10:08AM

My ht did this a couple months ago. He was getting up to leave and came over and tapped just above my knee. Apparently not getting his fill ( I still wear gs but I'm tall), he then did it to my other knee. He looked confused.

Too obvious. The next month I stood up so he couldn't do it again but he decided to touch my shoulder (obviously feeling for the hem) and then my wife's knee!

He was politely (ok not really politely) told (yelled at) that he is no longer allowed in my home and I just recently sent a nice letter to the bishop about the incident. Our ht was one of his councilors (now released haha).

Why do they have no boundaries at all? On the bright side he's proved to my wife that the church does underhanded bulls%&t like this. Ironically it's helped my cause.

Jackass...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:14AM

When it's a member checking on an inactive, they simply put their hand on your shoulder in what is supposed to be a welcoming gesture, but is actually a feel for the garments. Yes, a non-LDS person could pass this garment check and a inactive could fool people but it's the best they've got. Visual evidence and pawing peoples' knees or shoulders. How desperate to you have to be for validation to feel up peoples' underwear to give yourself a sense of superiority?

Posted by: Feel up victim ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 10:59AM

When you're a grown man other men hesitate to fondle your thigh. These vigilant shepherd wannabees have to get more creative than the co-eds at BYU.

I usually get the firm handshake followed by the shoulder pat finger dance. There is nothing subtle about it. One guy in the 'hood has actually put both hands on my shoulders and given me a mini massage in his search for the sacred.

My TBM wife was actually raised better than that and she is horrified at the thought that people would actually do that. That's the kind of behavior that may one day get her to open her eyes.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:20PM

That's also why I'd wear the top of my garments to Mormon things, even when I didn't wear the garments any more. I'd throw on the top only when we went over to my in-laws or something - just to save myself grief.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:11AM

I've even seen the "garmie check" performed by women on other women.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: November 22, 2013 11:38AM

Just take some a piece of surgical tubing and fill it with water and tape it to your inner thigh, just above the knee. When someone does a garmie check on you, they'll think you're really packing.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 04:28AM

Getting felt up for God huh? DIsgusting.

Posted by: Notpacking ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 04:35AM

Felt up for God, that IS creepy, lol

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 04:39AM

It is the reason that white shirts are part of the LDS uniform.

Garments can be easily seen through them, which targets people that are not wearing them.

Its actually quite tribal, with of course, LDS Inc getting the spoils due to the fact that garment wearers are tithers.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 27, 2013 03:19PM

Oh ya. I didn't catch on at first as I was a convert and had no idea what was going on.

I have found that (if standing) and an inappropriate touch to my back occurs, it's very easy to step onto the offenders foot with the little heal of my shoe! When they howl in pain... I say: Oh, goodness, I'm so sorry, did I step on your foot?
They never touch me again! I've done that with people in the work environment that get too close!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.