Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:11PM

Hi all. I guess it's time to finally introduce myself since I've been lurking for well over a year. I started lurking when I was taking the discussions with the mishies. Despite knowing everything that I know from reading here, I made the decision to get baptized on the 1st and (so far) am happy. I don't believe in a lot of "mormon" things...such as Joseph Smith being a real "prophet." I think maybe he had some interesting ideas and thought a creative lie was the best way to share them :) I also don't tithe or plan to do the whole temple thing. I just really like the social opportunities the church provides, and I find God in it in my own way. I'm not sure why I like coming here so much then. I guess I like seeing things from both sides, and I feel the site keeps me grounded. Also, I really like pointing out the hypocrisy in any religion. So, I hope I can offer an interesting perspective and not get slammed too badly :) If it makes you guys feel any better, I'm still a drinker and a 3 cig a day smoker (trying to quit :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:14PM

As long as you're respectful and not trying to convert people you'll most likely be welcomed. :)

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:17PM

... expect all that "socializing" to just dry right up.

Ever hear of whited-seplicures?

Youo certainly haven't paid ENOUGH attention to your lurking here -- but "by their fruits ye shall know them" soon enough.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:19PM

We'll see how well that works out for you.

There is no room in that church for those who like to point out hypocrisy. And telling the truth is forbidden.

Don't take this personally, but you'd have to be pretty lonely to find the social aspect worth all the other crap. And if you aren't that lonely, it probably won't live up to your expectations.

Being just "kind of" a member of a cult doesn't work out so well. The other cult followers will notice that you aren't one of them, and the social aspect won't pan out. Perhaps they will pull you in all the way so that you won't be a social pariah.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:22PM

You guys MIGHT be right lol. After I was baptized, I expected the mishies to back off and for all the members to do so as well, but they haven't yet. I'm always getting invites to dances, etc, and I really like that. Plus, I got to bear my testimony in a meeting, which was cool. I just keep my mouth shut about the stuff I don't like. IDK...it's working for me now. I guess I was pretty lonely. My best friend recently moved back home , and I'm not really the type who has a ton of friends. Mainly, I just hang out with my bf who...GASP...I LIVE WITH!!! But, we'll see how it goes. I only plan on staying until they freak me out or scare me away lol

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:28PM

May I ask what your testimony was? Cuz I don't think it's considered a testimony unless you cry and say you know Joseph Smith was a true prophet. ;-)

Date: February 09, 2011 05:29PM

Date: February 09, 2011 05:33PM

Lillium...for my testimony I just talked about finding the church and what it had done for me, etc. I said that it was the right choice for me and avoided mentioning Joseph Smith at all.

As for the shacking up, nobody knows that we live together. I met with the mishies in members homes.

Now you're not making sense.

They don't baptize chicks who are shacking up, not that I have anything against it myself.

Don't know why you would think it was cool to do the testimony thing. Saying in a testimony that you think JS was pretty much a fraud with some cool ideas doesn't usually get met with a warm reception.

Your post isn't making sense now at all.

Posted by: Just wow ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:24PM

You said:

"I don't believe in a lot of "mormon" things...such as Joseph Smith being a real "prophet.""

WTF you doing getting baptized into his church then? If you just wanted the social aspects, just go to the friendly neighborhood Unitarians or Episcopalians, or hang out at a dog park.

Some people!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:27PM

Kids nowadays. Don't beat her up too bad. She prolly don't know no better. When I was 6, I stuck Dad's keys into a wall socket just to see what would happen. Bad choice.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:27PM

good luck with your logic....

I liked a lot of the things that were believed...the pre-mortal existence and the concept of the fortunate fall being a couple. I also liked the way Sunday services were set up and just the people in general. Anyway, I know there is no religion I'd agree with 100%, but this one (so far) makes me the happiest, so I thought why not go with it? lol

Date: February 09, 2011 05:31PM

Maybe expand your friend base just in case, though?

Look into a hobby or doing volunteer work or something like that to give you access to more people. Or maybe take a few courses at the local community college. It's easy to make friends and if you do then you'll have someone around if you DO find that you aren't fond of the Mormon Church.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:35PM

Thanks Rebeckah. I know that you're right, and I know deep down that this probably won't be a forever type thing. I guess I sort of took an "easy" way for now, but I am definitely trying to get out more and make friends outside the church as well.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:33PM

I smell a troll -- probably a 40 year old apologist who lives in his mom's basement

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:44PM

Seems hypocritical to join a church you don't really believe in, even it is the one you believe the most, and then on top of that go off posting to an EXmormon board.

Just saying.

Posted by: buckhntr ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:30PM

Live with your boyfriend huh. Has you Bishop or the RS pres. talked to you about that yet. I give it 6 months and they will tell you you will have to move out, get married or be disfellowshiped maybe exed. They cannot let a wokf stay among the flock. Soon you will feel your being talked about (you will be) and begin to be shunned. The youth will be told to stay away from you and you will not be given any important callings, but thats not too bad. If your different you will not get along long term. At least thats been my experience.

Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:38PM

And I could be wrong, but don't you have to acknowledge that Joseph Smith is a true prophet before they will baptize you? So, what, did you lie? Is it alright with you to live a lie?

And what part of the religion makes you happy? Its not like the meetings are enlightening or inspirational.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:42PM

I'm not sure how this is the 'easy' route. Wouldn't it be much easier to simply live honest and choose a religion that allows you to be honest.

Are you a troll??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 05:46PM by chainsofmind.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:55PM

Serena, you need to be honest with yourself and others first and foremost. If it works for you, OK. Obviously you got a huge response here because many of us just cannot relate to WANTING to live a lie. And that is what you are doing, even by your own admission.

Get up the next fast and testimony meeting and bear an HONEST testimony, including how you really don't believe all the precepts of the religion and see how well that goes. Return and report. You will get another huge response, I guarantee it!

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:45PM

... which can also be found in the KKK.

The Mormon Cult: Racism, Sexism and Homophobia Under one Roof!

Timothy

Date: February 09, 2011 05:40PM

They don't know I live with the bf. The missionaries had me meet in members homes, since I was "single." And he's cool with staying gone when my VTs come over.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:47PM

Good luck with the hypocrisy of joining a church but not living by the standards of that church, indeed seeming hiding who you are.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 05:41PM

Lots of folks follow the path of the New Order Mormon. Perhaps it is for you.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:44PM

Y'all suck. LOL Take her out on a rail, tar and feather her, and then beat her senseless with a cane pole. Some of you get your knickers in a twist over the silliest bullshit.

Ron

Date: February 09, 2011 05:48PM

Just say'n

Date: February 09, 2011 05:53PM

Nope. I just get a kick watching some of these folks get their dander up over some nit-witted girl who is probably all of 15 or something spewing forth nonsense. It's no wonder most of us were members at one time. We're so fucking gullible. :)

Ron

Date: February 09, 2011 05:59PM

Good for you. Keep up the good work.

Ron

Like any cult, they will turn up the temperature on you slowly. It will get harder and harder to break the chains. Don't do it. If you are for real, then you should get out now before it gets too hard.

Posted by: Nina ( )

Date: February 09, 2011 05:46PM

Date: February 09, 2011 05:49PM

And he likes that she leaves for three hours on Sundays while he watches sports.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:53PM

That's actually kind of true. He supports me financially...I do work but not enough to make it on my own, and as of now I'm kind of stuck in a relationship I don't want to be in. He really doesn't talk to me or listen to me, and I feel very lonely inside of the relationship.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:56PM

Serena Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's actually kind of true. He supports me
> financially...I do work but not enough to make it
> on my own, and as of now I'm kind of stuck in a
> relationship I don't want to be in. He really
> doesn't talk to me or listen to me, and I feel
> very lonely inside of the relationship.

Sounds like a Bob Seger song, "I used her, she use me, neither one cared.."

Date: February 09, 2011 06:00PM

:........down on Main Street..."

Great song.

Ron

Date: February 09, 2011 05:50PM

WOW. lol. I didn't expect such a large response. No, I'm not a troll. I'm a pretty odd person though, and I guess it's hard for me to explain my motivations. I'm not asking you to agree with them, but it's just who I am and what I felt was right for me at this point in my life.

I joined because I was basically obsessed with the religion lol. Even after I decided not to get baptized, I kept reading here...trolling the net for LDS stuff or Ex-LDS stuff. I MISSED it. There's just something about the culture...the people...everything...that I find so fascinating and love to be involved in. I realized that if I didn't get baptized and just start going to church and experience being a member, I'd just keep obsessing. I decided I needed to at least try it because, for whatever reason, it's what my heart really really wanted me to do.

A lot of good things have come out of it. There's a couple of people I think I've helped to be more loving/accepting of themselves. And...for whatever reason...I'm happier. I look forward to Sunday, believe it or not. With me being me..I doubt this will be forever, but it works for now.

And...I just like coming here and reading. For a while, my internet was off, and I would go outside, get on some random connection, pull up a ton of posts, then click work offline and run back inside to read, ha ha :) You guys remind me of the lot of the things I felt when I left the church I was brought up in. And you remind me not to take anythign that happens in the church too seriously.

Posted by: OMG ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 06:05PM

Well you sound like a cult recruiter's wet dream. And on this occasion the mormons got there first.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:58PM

Do your parents know you're on the internet?

Just wonderin'...

Ron

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 06:04PM

Serena, surely you have learned enough about the church by now to know that your relationship with it (and with your "friends") is doomed. Your disobedient lifestyle cannot be concealed for very long. Sooner or later you will have to consent to more "accountability" by your leaders if you want to retain the celebrity status you now enjoy as a new initiate.

The crowd will move on to the next thing (probably named Jimmer, BYU joke) and you will either be a rising star, or you will have been measured and given a calling as Song Book Chairwoman and effectively (socially) sidelined.

If you are just fucking with the church and you have no real personal investment I guess you cannot be harmed, but if not your path is unsustainable.

I guarantee that the discovery of your betrayal, that you smiled, answered your interview questions, and bore your Clinton-esque testimony, while all the while you were sipping your Pinot, puffing your Hookah, and letting your BF bone away will possibly result in a personal discovery of what tarring and feathering is like.

You will destroy ANY friendships you have, believing or non-believing, and you may destroy your wider civic or professional reputation too. The cult remembers sins and tells everyone, especially if it is in their interests.

You cannot avoid this.

I know it seems fun now. We all loved the community ideals that the IDEA of the church represented. They are fantasy-land and are false.

Best choice is just to slink away. Tell people that you decided you really loved your BF after all and "he moved back in". That will set the right boundaries. Sorry to be blunt, but wish you the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 06:06PM by rodolfo.

Posted by: paulrc ( )
Date: February 09, 2011 06:20PM

You allowed yourself to be baptized into a faith you don't share?

...because you like the culture, which you can't share in because your friends from church can't know about your actual lifestyle?

Um, okay, makes sense to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.