Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon 21 ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:09AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:22AM

American Fork High School has a GSA group? As depressing as this story is (what kind of monster throws their own child out in the cold because they are gay?) the idea there is a GSA group at a backwoods uber-Mormon high school like American Fork High makes me feel like their is a flicker of the light of tolerance, even in Utah.

Posted by: Keyser ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:27PM

AF.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 01:41AM

I wonder how many A.F. households would take in one or two of the thousands of homeless youths. Now that would have been a good service project for the Morg. They could have built a homeless shelter instead of a mall. Hell would freeze over before that happened.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:01PM

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 05:37PM

That is why the homeless youth population in Utah is so high and so under-served. If they are younger than 18, they cannot go to shelters. If shelters or private citizens take them in, they run the risk of being charged with kidnapping.

The homeless services in Utah cannot and do not service kids under 18. They sleep in the cold. Every night. In SLC, there is a day shelter where they can come and hang out, but it must close at a certain time and the kids have to leave.

The law has got to change on this. It is a travesty.

Posted by: hairfannotloggedin ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 12:33PM

I went to AF high. It was an awesome school, so glad they have a GSA club. When I went there, people were pretty accepting of differences. I don't remember hearing about much bullying or anything.
I'm in the GSA Club at my college and we did a project like this as well. The organization we gave the stuff to were so thankful for what we gave them. These homeless youth do need a lot and it is helpful. A shelter for them would be very beneficial however. I would love to be a part of that.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 05:38PM

Very glad to hear things have progressed at dear old AF high. This was decidedly not the way things were when I attended. :)

Date: November 23, 2013 03:47PM

I'll send a check. I don't trust online giving except if its paypal.
Between Haiti and the Phillipines and the tornadoes and still cleaning up from many hurricanes and it so cold. I think we just all need to scrunch together a bit closer and make it warmer.
But this, I know they aren't telling them to throw them out. What was that movie.....It had Jack Nicholson in it and the parents threw out their son because he was gay? There are a billion reasons to not have someone in your house but a child?

Date: November 23, 2013 09:57PM

No, actually, 3i found out why I was sent this. You can provide emergency shelter on the safe and sound page. So I signefd up.

Date: November 23, 2013 09:59PM

You can become a host home. They have bypassed the laws in Utah.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.