Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:19PM

The Jehovah's Witnesses stopped by my house today. An older woman and a young woman (probably just a girl, really...can't be sure). Obviously, "No soliciting" doesn't mean cult peddlers. Anyway, my three little dogs were going nuts and I was trying to keep them contained, as DW wasn't around to help.

The older lady wondered if she could leave a message...I asked if they were members of the Witnesses (I knew they were). She said they were. I said I wasn't really interested and they should really take a good hard look at what kind of organization they were part of. Thanks, have a nice day, they said. You too, I said.

So now I'm thinking I missed a good opportunity. Prolly don't know enough about Jay Dubs, though, except they're a cult, to really do much to cause shaken faith syndrome. Wondering if I give a crap, either. I mean, unlike with TSCC, none of my family's stuck in it. But TSCC has given me a real dislike of mind controlling cults.

But, I was in shorts and a t-shirt and I'd climbed out of bed late and hadn't shaved, brushed my teeth, or combed my hair. My dogs were going ape$h!t. Should I even care?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stuntc ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:31PM

Should've invited them for a BBQ and said you're making 'torture steaks'. They'd get it.

Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:39PM

Do they make the claim that their "special" bible was inspired? The ones I talked to on my mission never claimed any divine inspiration in relation to their bible. They claimed that it was simply a more correct version made directly from the original Greek and Hebrew bibles.

Although it's all BS, I got the impression that they pulled the same stunt as Joe and changed it to suit their version of god.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:46PM

Yeah, didn't get the chance to chit-chit with any of them. I know of their "New World Translation." Seems to me that claiming it's a better translation is even easier to call B.S. than Joe's "Inspired Version" because you can go to online "Interlinear" Bibles that have word for word the Greek and Hebrew with an English translation next to each word...you can even look up each word for the possible range of English meanings that word would have.

So, I guess--now that I think about it--that's no easier than with the Joe's version...which has NO proof other than that he said "God told him how to fix it." Why do people fall for B.S. that's so easy to verify?

But yeah, the same basic modus operandi as Joe...they changed it to suit their views.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:44PM

Last time the J-dubs dropped by my house, I affirmed I am an atheist, engaged them in debate and cut them down with my razor-sharp logic. Of course, that's my version. Logic and reason isn't part of their toolkit. They walked away probably thinking I am doomed to burn in hell forever.

Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 11:14PM

You need to watch the south park episode about the DMV (i think it's season 17) Butters has a run in with the JW and handles it perfectly! Then next time, you will be prepared!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.