Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Marie ( )
Date: November 24, 2013 11:59PM

Another beautiful child was born into the world. And all the beauty was negated by her Utah parent-given name: Preslee.

Other baby names that unfortunately exist in my family: Kenadie, Teegan, Dallin, and Jack Daniel (lol - not sure if this was an intentional joke or if it just became a joke).

Many more dumb baby names to come, I am sure. Share yours!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 12:03AM

Henrietta
Moses

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 12:09AM

I have a slightly uncommon, but reasonably normal name. My parents spelled it "creatively." I get so sick having to spell my name for people and equally sick of people thinking my name is something else, because the creative spelling is closer to a whole other name than the original name it's supposed to be.

I know some parents think they are being cute by completely misspelling a kids name in the name of creativity but having had that done to me, I hate my name. Ironically, the girl I was named after changed her name to that whole other name mentioned above because she hated her name too. Plus, I read somewhere that the most successful people have relatively common names, then next most successful are relatively common names spelled badly and the least successful have creatively made-up names. I'm sure this isn't true in every case - there are exceptions - but by messing with your child's name, as a rule you aren't doing them a favor.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 12:30AM

I have a very common name, with a creative spelling. It is really a pain in the behind every time I have to get my background investigated for work.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 07:53AM

OMG, was I posting in my sleep? This is me exactlhy. You know where you can put your name through some site that will tell you how common it is? Well mine comes up with 100% unique. Neither my first name nor last name is that uncommon, but the spelling of my name makes it so that if you google me and spell it right I'm the only one who comes up.

It has always been a problem. I didn't have my name changed back in my divorce decree, dumb move, so I had to pay to file a petition of name change a few years later. I contemplated changing the spelling of my first name to the normal spelling but decided I didn't want new hassles. I'd already gotten used to the spelling hassles. But I later regretted that decision and wished I'd changed it. Preslee will spend her entire life spelling her name for people. It gets old.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:23AM

Thankyou for validating the stand I took a dozen years ago. My first daughter was born and my wife wanted to name her after a recently deceased grandparent. I was fine with that, but she wanted a creative spelling. I put my foot down and said all my children would have standard spelling for their names.

That cost me a few brownie points but I felt it was the right decision.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 12:16AM

CA Girl, I've heard many people echo your sentiments. Marie, I wouldn't like it either if someone close to me gave their child such a name. I pracically dosowned my sister for naming her kid Brooklyn. Madalice, if i were a child, I'd rather be stuck wth either Henrietta or Moses as a name than Preslee.

Posted by: ladedah ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 12:19AM

Bryton
Treyton
Braylee
Anzlee
Zaybree
Adalynn
Brixton
Tayzlee
Braydin
Caydin

There are some more, but I forget, I'm also not sure of the spellings. We're not close.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 12:42AM

Most of those are just awful. Sad for the kids.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 12:30AM

I actually like some.of those names,but don't like the cutsey spelling. I like the OP's list better than the one above. Some of those are bizarre

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 12:33AM by bona dea.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 01:30AM

This is why I like watching the credits to British made TV shows and movies. I like the old-fashioned names. I guess the British have not gone "creative" with their baby names to the degree that Americans have.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 04:54AM

I new a family that had some odd names. Race, Thyme (or was it Tyne?), there were more, nobody in that family had a "normal" name. The problem is that people will prejudge you for so many reasons on life, there is no need to give them one more by adding a goofy name to the mix.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 05:14AM

What happened to Elizabeth and Alice? I lile those names? How about Jack or Steve? Those are fine names. My grandma was Amelia, love it. But my other grandma was Brighamina (YES it is awful!) you all know who she was named after.
I just don't like it when adults get an "ie" or "y" tacked on to their name like Johnny or Jackie or Billy......YUCK!

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:48AM

Your grandma's name is the dubious winner lmao.

The only name worse than this is Hitlerike for a girl, obviously conceived before 1944, lol.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:52AM

Sapphire is actually pretty, just my humble opinion.

But I love those beautiful stones.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 06:19AM

"Preslee"? As in Elvis? (in a different spelling dimension). Yuck.

I used to know a guy out in Utah who gave all his kids Star Wars names like on ladedah's list. The one name "Braydin" he said was revealed to him by god when he was walking through Temple Square. Except I think it was spelled "Braedan." I would have become an atheist too.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 09:19AM

yes, I wanted to give my daughter the name Katerina because I like it, but I kept to the more traditional Katrina so she didn't have to keep spelling it out, like I had to. My name is just the German form of Karen, my parents who are german, were't trying to give me a cutsy name. I happen to like it with an I so am now happy now to spell it for people. Another child at my dh's work place was named Katerina, sometimes I wish I had done it too. But I call her that sometimes anyway.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 09:53AM

I never liked 'Brigham', so I sorta changed to 'Breedum'.

My crazy-ass TBM relatives/friends kids:

Emma
McKay
Joseph
Jarom
Jalor
Dallin

Can't remember the latest one, which is a GA's name...

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:19AM

OMG Kenadie is the worst, which is saying a lot since I kind of like it when spelled traditionally. But I HATE "creative" spellings.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:26AM

My least favorite name that I hear in Mormon circles is Braxton. I can't imagine why a mom would want to name her child after a painful uterine contraction. One of my LDS friend's had a sister who named her child after neighborhoods in London. Chelsea wasn't that bad but some of the others...

Posted by: Anonymousy ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:29AM

Cockfosters...?

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 02:12PM

There was an ultimately unsuccessful Confederate general named Braxton Bragg. He was known as a sourpuss, among other unlovely traits.

Don't-know-if-the-name-helped-or-hurt-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:28AM

My ex was named his grandmother's maiden name. I won't post it as it is very uncommon unless it is your last name. I actually typed up a female Indian with this name years ago. If I put the name on here, some people might even know him. I always felt stupid telling people his name. They were never quite sure what it was.

We did name our daughter a different name, but what is INTERESTING is that now it is a MORE common name. In fact, there is a Disney character named her name in a movie that came out when she was about 10. She said she used to hate her name for the reasons others have stated, but now she likes it as it makes her unique.

The thing I found the oddest of all is that a kid I babysat, he and his wife had a baby almost the same time I had my daughter--and we both named them the same name and, believe me, it was not a name I had ever heard before, so how this happened I have no clue.

Posted by: anon7 ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:33AM

Mormons give their children the worst names bar none. I'm nevermo and I know few non-mos giving their kids terrible names.

Here's a list of some of the worst I've heard:

Navy
Nixon
Tayson
Nayson
Every combination ending in ee or son (DH's cousins have multiple children with such names)
Sapphire
Rigdon

We gave our children very traditional type names.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 02:08PM

My nephew's name is Treyton.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:39AM

Shithead, pronounced Shith-eed. No, I'm not kidding...this isn't a mormon kid's name though.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 02:04PM

Is this one for real? Irt's been circulating for a long time, but so far never 9that i've seen- by anyone who knows the child or has documentaion, sort of like the infamous and elusicve twins lemongello an Orangejello )pronounced )leMAHNzhellO and oRAHNshellO).

Chump Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shithead, pronounced Shith-eed. No, I'm not
> kidding...this isn't a mormon kid's name though.

Posted by: maeve ( )

YouTube video of Utah names. Why do people think unique spellings is a good thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIehCrO4Zs

Posted by: Marie ( )

Love that video <3

Posted by: oremgirl ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 11:00AM

My Sister named her kids after geographic formations---and mis-pelled them.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 11:24AM

I am so sick of the name Zander! It's on both sides of my family no, one spelled Zander and one Xander. They want to be seen as sooooo Geek-Chic.

Posted by: Anon Brit ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 01:58PM

Brixton?

It's a notoriously rough area of London, as in the famous 1980's'Brixton Riots'

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 02:13PM

Met a girl whose name I could not pronounce, I asked how she said it. Koree Anne. Spelled Korean. I did not ask if it was South or North.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 02:22PM

I have no problem with people giving their kids stupid names, as long as they aren't cruel. I'll stick with normal, family names myself, though.

There is a family in my old ward with a three generation tradition of Book of Mormon names.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 02:24PM by zarahemlatowndrunk.

Posted by: time2go ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 02:33PM

Isis
Zephyr
Teancum
Nephi
Hyrum and Joseph (brothers) <-Joseph is fine on its own but not in reference to JS

Moriancomer
Emerson
Hunter and Kimball (brothers)

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 03:16PM

They do realize that a Jack Daniel's is a whiskey, don't they?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.