Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: utahfantasy ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 01:11AM

Well it finally happened, this evening during the Giants-Cowboys game I got a knock on my door. Normally I will mute the tv cause I am not big on the unexpected drop in. But for some odd inexplicable reason I jumped up immediately and answered the door. And there they were. The conversation was immediately awkward cause I'm sure someone told them prior to coming all about me. Well they didn't waste much time. "We are your new home teachers" they said. "We were wondering if we could set up a time to talk." I replied immediately that my wife and I weren't interested but that I appreciated them stopping by and introducing themselves. They looked shocked. Then the awkwardness was turned up a notch by their small talk. "So ugh, how long have you lived here?" Six months I said. They looked embarrassed that they hadn't come over to meet us til now. Then it finally ended and they left.

I have some questions though for people who have gone through this.

1. Does this mean they have my records? Why else would they assume I'm a member and that I would want an appointment.

2. What happens next?? Is this over, or can I expect a follow up visit possibly from the bishop this time?

PS telling them I wasn't interested felt great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rracer ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 06:41AM

Answer: They will most likely come back, either them, missionaries, or the bishop/branch/ward president himself, and yes they most likely have your records.

The only real way to stop this madness is to resign and make it CLEAR you no longer want their visits.

As much as you may be tempted, and believe me I have been there, and despite what some people may tell you, don't resort to physical attacks. It might get the job done, but hurting your fellow man, no matter how much you dislike what they are doing, is never a good thing.

99.5% of the time, your words are enough. When it isn't, seek the services of the police department. Let the laws of the land prevail, something Mormons are not used to.

Posted by: Wolverine ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 07:43AM

Our family hasn't been to a mormon church in over 15 years. We've moved 4 times to 3 different states since then. Never fails, the mobots stalk us somehow and show up around 6 months after we move.

They are so creepy and wierd. They showed up 3 times in the last week. One woman came by and asked if my daughter lived at my home and if she could come in and talk to her. She told me my daughter was on some list she had. I gave her a strange look and told her that it was not going to happen.

Most of my family are mormons and if not for that I would submit to their silly rules, recognize their authority, and write the letter to officially resign.

I seriously can't believe how weird they are. I can't think of any other church that shows up at your door when you make it clear you are not interested. It really creeps me out that they are stalking me.

I'm thinking that they are not being successful here in the south recruiting new members so they are on a campaign to reactivate lost sheep.

Anyone know what is going on with this?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 08:06AM

Resigning sometimes helps fend off visits, but not always.

The only way to do that is to be very blunt. "We are not interested in visits from your church. Kindly respect our privacy."

It's better to tell someone in charge than the minor players who show up at the door.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 09:54AM

They assuredly have your records. The possession of your record is what constitutes their duty to visit you.
You said not interested but you didnt say no contact and you didnt resign, so you likely get off/on contact.

Posted by: utahfantasy ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 12:03PM

Alright, well if I get anymore visits I will be more direct, I tried to stay friendly to see if they get the message. My wife always said she would only resign if we are pestered or they take things too far. Secretly I hope that happens.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 07:03PM

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 07:27PM

I don't know if this is what the Mormons really want. My son moved to the mid-west a dozen years ago. He knew nobody outside of work and so when the missionaries came by he invited them in. For a long time he bought them pizza every Wednesday and talked to them about Nietzsche.

Now he is married and one day recently the "sister missionaries" showed up at his door. His wife was willing to deal with them but he was not. He dug out the sample letter we had sent him when we resigned and rewrote it for his circumstances and resigned. So happy he has joined us in outer darkness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.