Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 11:59AM

He gave some sort of doomsday laden testimony at a Stake Conference, calling on people to stock up.

Shortly afterward, the church had to set up a hotline to clarify for people that he was not speaking on behalf of the church, but only of his own opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 12:00PM

1-800-453-3860, extension 2-2833

In this message it states that the notes of his talk aren't accurate and that he hasn't authorized the distribution of any version.
The message from President Packer's office also quotes the First Presidency Letter read in Sacrament Meeting 13 May 2004 which says:

“. . . . members of the Church are never to teach or pass on statements without verifying that they are from approved official sources. Any notes made when General Authorities, Area Seventies, or other general Church officers at regional and stake conferences or other meetings should not be distributed without the consent of the speaker. Personal notes are for individual use only. . . “

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 03:24PM

And we used to believe what we were told.

Ain't that a stitch?

Gull E. Bull

Thank god I'm out.

Posted by: zzapp the witch ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 02:52PM

If I had to guess, I think that's the speech that got my mom all panicky and going back to church again like a good little TBM. It totally freaked her out, she cleaned out the pantry and took a tally of everything my parent's had and restocked with at least 2 years worth of food.....Started preaching to and begging us kids to come to church/get right with God/ etc. etc.

(Unless there's someone else that gave a doomsday speech around 5 years ago, its hard to keep track).

My mom thinks he's handsome, I'm just feeling awesome for figuring out a way to make her miss GC and have some fun with me this last weekend.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 12:27AM

He's in my TBM BIL's ward. I think it was 2 years ago when BKP got up during sacrament meeting and gave "it's the end of the world" talk. My BIL sent an email to the family and THAT DAY we were at COSTCO shopping like crazy.

I remember when I saw all the shoppers I thought to myself, "OMG people! It's the end of the world and you're buying all this crap at COSTCO. You should be like me and buy 1000 pounds of flour! It's going to suck to be you in a few months when you're eating your dogs. heh heh."

Imagine my disappointment when the church essentially said he was talking as a man. BUT HELL ... I HAVE A 10 year's supply of flour!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.