Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heltz ( )
Date: November 29, 2013 12:49AM

Mama Pierce sings the Doxology and states, "most of them aren't Mormon so they won't know this hymn"

Uh, it's only a staple of Protestant services.

http://mamapierce.blogspot.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: November 29, 2013 04:41AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxology

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise him, all creatures here below;
Praise him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

These words were written in 1674 by Thomas Ken[4] as the final verse of two hymns, "Awake, my soul, and with the sun"[5] and "Glory to thee, my God, this night,"[6] intended for morning and evening worship at Winchester College

Sorry Mormons this came way before JS's time.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 29, 2013 04:55AM

When the profit speaks the thinking stops. Here is another living example of proof of that statement. Wouldn't know a hymn for a hernia. Another MORON. What do you expect?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2013 04:55AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: November 29, 2013 05:02AM

Funny, because I was always told that we didn't sing "that" song due to the reference to the Trinity ("Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost").

Trinity was a very "bad" word in my Mormon life. Other evils, included crucifixes, crosses, and Reformation writers. Or any other theologians/philosophers than Mormon ones.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 29, 2013 08:44AM

It's been in the hymn book since 1985 (hymn number 242). Mormons have NEVER known what the doxology is, nor do I think that most people knows what it means or refers to (I don't). If you call it that, you will get blank stares. It's good to sing at the end of sacrament because everyone wants the hell out.

Posted by: heltz ( )
Date: November 29, 2013 11:01AM

Wouldn't there be credit given to the musician at the bottom of the page? With a date long before Mormonism began?

Posted by: not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: November 29, 2013 12:48PM

Totally weird. I never heard the Doxology during the 7 years I was a mormon. But during the 20 years I was an Episcopalian, we sang the Doxology EVERY Sunday when they brought the collection plates up to the altar. I thought ONLY non-mormons knew the hymn.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 29, 2013 03:08PM

I thought that was totally weird, as I thought the mention of the Trinity would have discouraged Mormons from singing that hymn. I did leave an anon comment saying that most of her guests had probably grown up singing that hymn in their church services.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 29, 2013 03:46PM

Next, some mormon will claim only mormon children sing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.