Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 01:45AM

I'm a 31 year old RM living in SLC who got a temple marriage and now has two little boys (one is 4, and another is just 2 months old). This week I had an epiphany and realized it is all a scam and decided to leave the church. Just sent the email to headquarters tonight requesting my name be removed from the records.

I've told my wife and she's devastated. I also decided to tell my closest brother at lunch today who proceeded to personally attack me and ask what sins I'd been committing. I had to leave with him still sitting at the table because he was being so disrespectful and even spiteful.

It's such a strange dichotomy because I have never felt so liberated before in my life but I know my world is going to crash around me. It's kind of like knowing I'm in the middle of a 9.7 earthquake and being ok with it.

I'm not planning on telling anyone else in my family for the time being (except a cousin who is not active also knows) but it will eventually come out one way or another I'm sure.

I don't have much support around me because a lot of my circle are TBMs.

I'm not happy with my marriage, although to soften the blow for now I've told my wife I want to stick it out with her. That said, my sex life has never been great and especially through the past year or more my desire to be with her has been practically non-existent. My wife is already prone to depression and this will do nothing to help that. It's not fun to be with a TBM who's depressed. I'm not sure how long this will last.

I guess I just want to know how to approach my marriage given I'm not excited about it at all right now and don't see a great future with her. Even practical advise about divorce would be great (financial impact considering I have two kids, etc). Also just in general I'd like to start building a new circle. I feel like I've been living in a cave and want to know what others would recommend to get out there.

That's all I got. I'd love to hear any comments about anything I've said from anyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 02:11AM

Personally, I would try to take things slowly with your wife. I'm not suggesting you be a martyr but she just had a baby and she is the mother of your children. Her mental health and self-esteem will directly impact your children. So whatever courage and character you can summon up in this matter will help her stabilize which in turn will be the best for those babies of yours.

Also, if your wife has been pregnant for most of the last year, that could explain the lack of interest in sex. Make sure you are super-careful with birth control and focus on your relationship. Be patient with her because she's probably not getting much sleep and nursing. Within about 6 months, you should be able to see which way the wind is blowing. Is she willing to work on it or is she going to try to bully you back to the church? When she is getting more sleep and more attention from you, will your sex life improve or are there larger problems? Will your leaving the church change her feelings for you or will she listen to what you've discovered about Mormonism and agree with you - or at least agree to disagree? Can you make interesting hobbies together without Mormonism being the only anchor in your relationship? Does she love you or the church? Do you really love her now that the church isn't compelling you to stay together? Ask yourself those kind of questions.

And remember, when being patient with your relationship becomes hard, you are doing this as much to protect your kids as you are for your marriage. Let her get her feet under her and her emotions stabilized so that if you two do break up, your babies will have the gift of the best version of their mom they can possibly have. And equally importantly, you'll be absolutely sure you did the right thing. Good luck.

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 09:27AM

I know it sounds cliché but if you go slow the right path will become obvious to you. Don't let your change in belief be the reason your marriage fails…..stand by your wife through this difficult time an then let other interpersonal factors determine how to proceed with your marriage later.

Posted by: Fredo ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 02:18AM

Mate, your head is spinning.
Its all so much.
Want my current experience in this, cos its all happening right now for me.http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30777&start=780
page 27 specifically, see if you recognize my symptoms of nausea, anxiety etc.

But what's different? I started at the New Order Mormon forums web site.

Great advice, people right in. Hwere you are.

Have a look. Best advice, GO SLOWLY.
Don't judge your marriage hubs sex phase or current emotions.
Thats just silly and mean

Go to NOM, talk, get perspective.
Tell your wife you are NOT. Leaving her.

Take it slow.

TBH, yours was not a way I think anyone would suggest to do it.

Good luck, I'm there too.
But I took it slow and my wife is right here beside me, as we are weeks away from walking out the door

Posted by: trog ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 02:19AM

Bold move.

This is probably a good time to see a professional counselor. Your wife will be looking for answers, and you need to be able to communicate well. Your marriage could go either way, but divorce is definitely expensive. Online calculators will give you a better estimate of child support and perhaps alimony than I could.

As far as social life goes, you can join a club. Photography, running, bowling, whatever. You attend the meetings, pay dues, and make some friends.

Good luck.

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 02:23AM

CA girl, I think that's good advice. However, I think what you missed is not that she's not interested in sex, it's me that's not interested in being with her. It's so boring and monotonous. Last time we tried I couldn't even keep it up I was so uninterested (sorry if that's TMI).

I will give it time but honestly I just don't see this lasting. She will never consider my point of view and I am so bitter at the things I've lost because of the church that even association to the church through her may drive me crazy.

Thanks for making the point about the kids though. You're right she is going through post partum and not getting a lot of sleep. Leaving her now would probably devastate her and do damage to both her and our kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2013 02:23AM by exldsdudeinslc.

Date: November 30, 2013 02:34AM

That is a problem if you aren't compatible and don't see any hope of becoming so. IMO, having a good sex life is vital to getting your marriage through the difficult times. If the church was the main glue that kept your marriage together, now that the glue has become poison for you, you're probably right that this won't last. It says a lot of good things about you that you are willing to go slow, make sure you are right and protect your kids.

I also think what someone said about counseling may be worth trying. I know several people (I'm about 15 years older than you) who are around my age and came very, very close to divorcing when they were younger. They decided to stick it out and were glad they did. But I also know several people who got divorced and it was the best decision for them. Just to confuse you more, I know two people who divorced, re-married and are now saying they aren't any happier - they wished they'd just tried harder to make it work with spouse number one. That's why counseling is important. To help clarify the best path for you - not to make it work with someone you no longer have feelings for. Some people avoid counseling because they don't want to beat a dead horse. It's really more about seeing whether or not the horse is really dead. If it is, at least you'll know for sure you did your best.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 02:40AM

If you an, you want your wife to leave mormonism with you.

My husband and I left together. We've been married 22 years. The last two since we left, have been the very best.

Posted by: anon 21 ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 02:46AM

So you,ve sat there and figured child support for 2 children, alimony, loss of the family home, less than galf retirement, etc leaves you working 2 jobs in a 1 bedroom apt. 5,000 retainer for her attorney, 5k more for sure for yours ubless you are willing to give alot and you both pay for a mediator arond 2.5k. Your alimony may ba as high as 5 years or whatever it takes for her to get a degree and then there's all the babysitting fees.

Date: November 30, 2013 02:57AM

Yeah, but I don't think the OP should stay in a life-sucking situation simply because divorce is freakishly expensive any more than I think he should just toss it all away on a whim because that's what he wants right now. Forcing yourself to be with someone who makes you unhappy isn't fair to him nor is it fair to his wife. As unappealing as she is to him at the moment, she is still a person who deserves to be loved sincerely and have as happy a life as possible - as is the OP. And, as Dr. Phil says re: children "It's better to be from a broken home than in a broken home." If they give it every effort (including considering the financial costs) and realize things will get worse not better, then no price is too high to pay.

Posted by: anon 21 ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 06:14AM

Wasn't talking about life sucking relationshio cagirl :-), he asked about divorce costs. And it varies per state. Depending on which state, it could be more beneficial for a paralegal. Lawyers for rights for children.
I stayed in a marriage long after I should have. IT Gave the wrong impression. Still bankrupted us. 2 main causes of bankruptcy, divorce and medical...which brings me to another point, get rid of your creit cards, put a note on your 4 credit reports that your idetity has been stolen and to call before issuing new. You can keep 1 low limit card for emergencies and that's it.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 12:44PM

I got divorced for $50 my second time around. Child support is pretty easy to figure out. Yes, it's expensive for some, but doesn't have to be.

Congrats to the OP for finding your way out. Better than spending the rest of your life with regrets.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 03:14AM

All Best to you exldsdudeinslc;

Some fine points made by all here. I hope you can find your way to a non-LDS therapist, with your wife if she wants that, by yourself if she does not.

And it's a cliche', but true.

One day at a time.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 04:15AM

Be patient with your wife. She has been pregnant for most of the last year. Never judge a woman's level of desire or anything when she is pregnant. Also give her some time. She has a two month old and might be experiencing some depression related to hormones. I know guys don't think post-partum depression is real but ask a doctor, it is real.
I think your wife will come around to your way of thinking IF YOU TAKE THIS SLOWLY. She is hormonal now with a new baby and she is tired with two very young children. Do what you can to help with the children. She needs to see that a non-Mo guy is a great father. That is important to her now since things seem to be falling apart in her life. Be patient with her. I know you are overjoyed and that is as it should be. But give this joy to your wife in samll doses while helping her with your children. I am just thinking like a woman with two little kids would think. tread softly....best of luck

Posted by: The 1st FreeAtLast ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 05:01AM

From your post, it's clear that you not only correctly concluded that Mormonism was (and still is) a crock, but have realized that responsibility for your life rests with you and no one else, ultimately.

BTW, I left the chronically dishonest and manipulative LD$ Cult/Crutch 21 years ago. Since then, 100's of 1,000's of people have resigned from the Mormon Church, having realized that its foundation was Joseph Smith's lies and generations of 'faith'-promoting propaganda.

Kindly know that you're in good company! From the New York Times a few months ago:

"In the small but cohesive Mormon community where he grew up, Hans Mattsson was a solid believer and a pillar of the church. He followed his father and grandfather into church leadership and finally became an 'area authority' overseeing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints throughout Europe.

"When fellow believers in Sweden first began coming to him with information from the Internet that contradicted the church’s history and teachings, he dismissed it as 'anti-Mormon propaganda,' the whisperings of Lucifer. He asked his superiors for help in responding to the members’ doubts, and when they seemed to only sidestep the questions, Mr. Mattsson began his own investigation.

"But when he discovered credible evidence that the church’s founder, Joseph Smith, was a polygamist and that the Book of Mormon and other scriptures were rife with historical anomalies, Mr. Mattsson said he felt that the foundation on which he had built his life began to crumble.

"Around the world and in the United States, where the faith was founded, the Mormon Church is grappling with a wave of doubt and disillusionment among members who encountered information on the Internet that sabotaged what they were taught about their faith, according to interviews with dozens of Mormons and those who study the church.

“'I felt like I had an earthquake under my feet,' said Mr. Mattsson, now an emeritus area authority. 'Everything I’d been taught, everything I’d been proud to preach about and witness about just crumbled under my feet. It was such a terrible psychological and nearly physical disturbance.'

"Mr. Mattsson’s decision to go public with his disaffection, in a church whose top leaders commonly deliberate in private, is a sign that the church faces serious challenges not just from outside but also from skeptics inside.

"Greg Prince, a Mormon historian and businessman in Washington who has held local leadership positions in the church, shares Mr. Mattsson’s doubts. 'Consider a Catholic cardinal suddenly going to the media and saying about his own church, "I don’t buy a lot of this stuff,” Mr. Prince said. 'That’s the level we’re talking about here.'

"He said of Mr. Mattsson, 'He is, as far as I know, the highest-ranking church official who has gone public with deep concerns, who has had a faith crisis and come forward to say he’s going to talk about it because maybe that will help us all to resolve it.'

"Every faith has its skeptics and detractors, but the Mormon Church’s history creates special challenges. The church was born in America only 183 years ago, and its founder and prophet, Joseph Smith, and his disciples left behind reams of papers that still exist, documenting their work, exposing their warts and sometimes contradicting one another."

(Ref. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/us/some-mormons-search-the-web-and-find-doubt.html?_r=0 )

From ABC News in SLC in Jan. 2012:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is losing a record number of its membership. A new report quotes an LDS general authority who said more members are falling away today than any time in the past 175 years.

"At meetings like General Conference, Utahns may be used to seeing members of the LDS Church show up in record numbers. But according to a recent Reuters article citing LDS General Authority Marlin K. Jensen, for the church as a whole, the record in going in a different direction.

"Elder Jensen told the news outlet times have changed, and 'attrition has accelerated in the last five or 10 years.'"

(Ref. http://www.4utah.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Number-of-faithful-Mormons-rapidly-declining/d/story/rvih3gOKxEm5om9IYJYnRA )

From a Reuters' Special Report ("Mormonism besieged by the modern age") in Jan. 2012:

"A religious studies class late last year at Utah State University in Logan, Utah, was unusual for two reasons. The small group of students, faculty and faithful there to hear Mormon Elder Marlin Jensen were openly troubled about the future of their church, asking hard questions. And Jensen was uncharacteristically frank in acknowledging their concerns.

"Did the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints know that members are 'leaving in droves?' a woman asked.

"'We are aware,' said Jensen, according to a tape recording of his unscripted remarks. 'And I'm speaking of the 15 men that are above me in the hierarchy of the church.'"

"'My own daughter,' he then added, 'has come to me and said, "Dad, why didn't you ever tell me that Joseph Smith was a polygamist?" For the younger generation, Jensen acknowledged, 'Everything's out there for them to consume if they want to Google it.' The manuals used to teach the young church doctrine, meanwhile, are 'severely outdated.'

"These are tumultuous times for the faith founded by Joseph Smith in 1830, and the rumbling began even before church member Mitt Romney's presidential bid put the Latter-Day Saints in the spotlight."

"Jensen, the church's official historian, would not provide any figures on the rate of defections, but he told Reuters that attrition has accelerated in the last five or 10 years[.]"

(Ref. http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/01/30/uk-mormonchurch-idUKTRE80T1CP20120130 )

Info. about how cultic Mo-ism psychologically affects people and undermines their self-esteem, and how individuals can liberate themselves from it is online at http://members.shaw.ca/blair_watson/

The website mentions psychotherapist Dr. Nathaniel Branden, who pioneered the study of self-esteem decades ago. From Dr. Branden's website:

"Self-Esteem and Responsibility

"To achieve a healthy level of self-esteem, you must be able to accept who you are and be confident about your decisions and behavior.

"But there is another important ingredient in the development of self-esteem that is often overlooked — the ability to take responsibility for your future. To live self-responsibly, you must be able to influence your behavior freely in three major areas:

- Taking action in ways that will help you reach your goals.
- Being accountable for your decisions, priorities and actions.
- Thinking for yourself by examining and actively choosing the values that will guide yourself, rather than blindly accepting whatever you’re told by family, friends or the culture in which you live.

"Since being responsible for yourself requires effort, thought and a range of difficult decisions, many people convince themselves that it is an impossible challenge. Some blame others for their problems. Others hope that someone will come along and make everything all right.

"Remember: You cannot respect or trust yourself if you continually pass on to others the burdens of your existence."

(Ref. http://www.nathanielbranden.com/discussions/self-esteem/all-about-responsibility/ )

Regarding your wife, I'm not surprised that she's depressed. If she was raised in cultic Mo-ism, she was 'brainwashed' from early childhood onward by the Mormon Church to become a so-called "wife and mother in Zion." Mentally and emotionally, from your post it sounds like she swallowed white-washed Mormonism and Mormon patriarchy's prescribed role for her, hook, line, and sinker.

Based on your post, I'd say that your wife has no sense or experience of her true self. The only 'self' - a 'brainwashed' 'self' - that she's known has been the one resulting from years of systematic Mormon indoctrination and conditioning, including all the dysfunction 'installed' on the 'hard-drive' of her psyche. It's a tragedy, really, but you were never responsible for it.

If you search for posts done by me on this board, you'll find a ton of 'faith'-busting info., including from lds.org and other official LD$ websites, believe it or not, that can be used to try to reduce your wife's naive 'faith' in Mormonism, the LD$ Crutch, and senior Mormon leaders who were unethically dishonest with the membership worldwide in order to keep JS' religious scam going.

Bear in mind that in the final analysis, you cannot force ANY Mormon to remove their mental blinders and take a long, hard look the IRREFUTABLE truth that Mormonism has been a multi-billion-dollar religious fraud since 1830.

Crucially, you're the captain of the ship of your life and it'll go in whichever direction you set. You're young and have decades ahead of you. It's your right to ALWAYS think for yourself, scrutinize what other people believe is 'true' and 'of God', and to live in accordance with your values and sense of purpose.

Now, if you decide to end your marriage at some point, I urge you to use the law (a formal separation or divorce agreement) to protect your vulnerable children from cultic Mormonism. As a concerned father, you have the right to insist that their exposure to it be limited, at least.

Importantly, Steven Hassan, a mental health professional in MA and America's leading expert on cults lists The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on his website (freedomofmind.com) as a thought-control organization. If you need (at some point) expert opinion from a licensed mental health professional presented to a judge about the harm that cultic Mormonism causes, I suggest you begin by contacting Hassan.

Another wise, rational-thinker is Richard Packham, an ex-Mormon, retired lawyer, and former president of the Ex-Mormon Foundation. His website is at http://packham.n4m.org/

Other resources for you:

"Exmormon Contacts and Resources" at http://www.exmormon.org/helpers.htm

...and "Our Community > Post-Mormon Chapters" (on the drop-down menu) at http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/

Of course, people on this board can be helpful, so post here as often as you wish.

Finally, the following are words from the 20th-century Scottish poet Robert Frost, which seem to apply to your situation (and that of many other people who have left the misleading Mormon Church):

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Best wishes!

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 05:00PM

Uh...not Scottish. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Frost very American, barely traveled as it was.

Posted by: The 1st FreeAtLast ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 06:08PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 08:25AM

First, start using reliable birth control. You don't need to add any other children to your family at this volatile time.

Second, realize that apart from Mormon issues your family is going through a difficult time. Having young children puts quite a strain on a marriage. Your wife is hormonal and perpetually exhausted. You are probably feeling the strain of supporting your family. For many couples, this is often one of the toughest points of their marriage.

When you go home after work, try to be as helpful as you can be. Help prepare dinner and clean up afterward. Change diapers and assist with putting the children to bed. Read to your 4-year old. Pick up on weekends and run the vacuum. Your wife is working 24/7 with no relief. Help her.

Try counseling with a non-LDS counselor. If your wife won't go, go by yourself.

Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 12:28PM

Damn... I'm glad when I got out I wasn't married to a tbm. That is one of the awesome things about leaving mormonism, you get to think for yourself now. The mormon church says stick it out no matter how unhappy you are. Divorce is like the worst thing to them. If you aren't happy and you've done everything you can to possibly be happy with this person your married too. It is better to leave. No one wants to be sad and not happy the rest of their life. I've known plenty of married people who are miserable cuz of the person they've married and plenty of single people who are a lot happier than the married ones. Good luck!

Posted by: jimbob ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 01:07PM

I get where you're coming from totally. It may be that the grass is actually greener outside your marriage. However, you'll want to give some thought to the possibility that the grass is NOT greener. Right now is probably a good time for some very serious introspection. In many cases a person carries with them the same problems/challenges into the next relationship never even realizing THEY are their own problem.

With that said, your wife is a person. She deserves love and respect. Dude...she's the mother of your children. I'm not saying to stay in the marriage. I am suggesting that you may not be in any sort of emotional state to make major decisions right now. Assure her you're not going anywhere and take some time to emotionally stabilize. Leaving the church is tough. Your wife and children deserve your careful thought and consideration regarding your marriage. Perhaps you can display some leadership by developing a plan for getting your wife out of the church. After my wife followed me out...our sex life is TOTALLY different. She's not the same woman. She is also thinking for herself for the first time in her life. Totally different person.

ONLY AFTER the emotions are completely removed from the equation are you in a state to make a solid decision regarding your marriage. And yes, it is entirely possible to get to a point where you can look at your wife and children with love without all the negative emotions yet still make the decision to divorce. That is when you know you're stable and ready to make a decision.

Best of luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2013 01:09PM by jimbob.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 01:35PM

Dude, I'm not saying what's right or wrong for you. I do think you need to get your head clear before you make any more long-term decisions. The counseling suggestion is one of the best things you can do. Here's a link to counselor in your area...

http://www.jvcounseling.com/AboutUs.en.html

He's great! It was extremely helpful.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 01:59PM

If your sex life is monotonous and boring, you bear part of the blame. Make it your personal challenge be the world's best lover. Don't actually answer this, but how often to you bring your wife to orgasm? Rarely? Almost every time you have sex? Multiple times when you have sex? If you drive your wife wild, she'll learn to reciprocate.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 02:41PM

You're not happy with your marriage but you've been happy enough (or sloppy enough) to have produced two children. Is your frontal lobe not working? And you are not in an earthquake, buster. It's your wife and little kids who are in an earthquake, thanks to you. There was a way to ease yourself out of Mormondumb without dropping a bomb on a mother with a newborn.. yours, I presume. Now you want advice to make it as cheap as possible to skate out of there. You say you are 31; you come across about 10 years younger.I hope you get creamed.

Posted by: OneMightyAndStrong ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 04:03PM

@Titanic.

Are you a TBM? Based on how snide and judgmental comment was, I think that you are.

Everyone who has left the church has regrets about the time and money wasted. And more than that, decisions related to marriage and child bearing take on entirely different dynamic when you are living in the TBM bubble. And once you realize TSCC is based on a pack of lies, it's completely understandable to question the relationships that were forged through TSCC and only live on because of it.

I am appalled at your insensitivity in commenting back to this young man. The fact is that TSCC has pressured many young men and young women into bad relationships.

I don't know what the answer is for this young man. I hope the best for him. He is deserving of your sympathy, not your scorn.

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 04:49PM

Well, I'm NOT a TBM and I've got some comments too. The OP sounds impulsive and definitely looking out for himself first, in other words, selfish--like a teen. Figuring out how much he's going to have to pay her, or how little he can get away with, is at this point cold.

What he doesn't realize is that he has missed out on the normal development of one's twenties because he was in a mind-control cult. He's so excited now that he wants everything he thinks he's missed: partying, exciting sex. What he doesn't know about relationships and marriage and probably sexual relations could fill a book. Sorry, OP your twenties are gone. No do-overs. You have to start the rest of your life from where you are and learn all that you can of the twenties lessons--second hand and after the fact. And most of them are about responsibilities and ethics.

OP, I'm glad you're out of the morg. You are also a man with family ties that will haunt you and your next relationships unless you get a hold of yourself. A year of therapy would be a good idea and would help you gain some wisdom.

You also might question why your wife is depressed. She probably feels as trapped and disappointed as you have felt being married to you.

Personally, I think a man who would leave a woman with a two-month old, three-month old, 8 month old infant qualifies as a real dick. And any future woman who's worth her salt would think so too.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 05:00PM

I'm glad you know exactly how OP wants to live his life, and that he wants to party it up. That is useful information, so it is good that somebody informed us when he didn't.

Date: November 30, 2013 05:32PM

I am as a matter of fact a flaming atheist.

And I think the OP should be able to take criticism. You make it sound like I kicked a puppy.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 04:03PM

Yeah, I think dropping a bomb on her life that was an a$$hole move. This is going to have a huge impact on her life and you didn't respect her enough even talk it through beforehand?

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 05:06PM

I am appalled at all of the judgement here. So a grown ass adult is now responsible to get permission for their religious decisions? A grown man is not capable of making choices regarding the relationship he wants? Divorce doesn't mean abondoning the kids or being irresponsible, sometimes it is better to have to go through that than to have miserable parents all the time. Reality is, we don't know what OP or his wife's history is. We have almost no information. He also is just asking, since when do we punish thought crimes?

Really, the only thing I would say is to take it slow, try and get counseling. You married this women for a reason, and not all of the cards are on the table yet. You owe it to yourself to see if things could work, not to mention how much better it would be for your kids.

Date: November 30, 2013 05:41PM

Criticism is not punishment.

If you reread my post you will see that nowhere did I criticize his new religious views. I do think he's a jerk for springing the news on his wife 'ta-dah!!!' when she has a two month old baby.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 05:20PM

Can you give it a year? Be the "I want to stay with you" guy that you told her you would be. I love the advice about being a better lover yourself. Can you talk to her about that? See what she has enjoyed with you in your sex life in the past? Can you read together - Cosmo or Maxim - something like that?

How do you feel about your children?

Definitely go with the counseling route.

And revel in that sense of freedom!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 06:14PM

I don't know, the OP sounds like me. When I was done, I was DONE. And I was done because I had already tried the tricks above and nothing worked. If they want to be done and over now, I support it. Some exes are whiny and don't deserve to be let down gently. I'm not saying that's the case with his ex, but maybe she was annoying as hell, maybe she was a bitch, we just don't know. And kids don't have to like their parents, in most cases, they don't. They hate it even more when their parents who hate each other are still together. Counseling would have only extended the pain and hate in my life. It's a good suggestion, but not for everyone.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 30, 2013 06:15PM

Coffee will help with the depression. For heaven's sake, help lead her away from TSCC and you will find her depression gone, and your sex life better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.