Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 11:47AM

Starts asking DW the reason the Lord tells us to eat wheat and why that is.

This guy is hard core TBM, so I say, "the WOW also says to eat meat sparingly -- I guess they should get rid of all the burger joints in Utah". I was ignored.

He will have a hard time ignoring me when I show him in the History of the Church where JS drank wine the day he was killed.

I will return and report.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:01PM

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:42PM

No, I don't think he will have a hard time ignoring you about the wine. TBMs justify everything!

My dear, sweet TBM hubby actually said to me that the only reason Joe drank wine in jail was because that was all that was offered him and if he were thirsty, he had no choice!

Posted by: cecilia ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:49PM

That completely contradicts the church's story of little Joe having surgery and refusing pain meds. A good, pure prophet would have died of thirst.

Date: February 10, 2011 12:54PM

that's hilarious since the HC specifically states the jailer's son brought in water but Joe slipped the jailer some money to bring in the booze. ha ha.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:21PM

Ah...I didn't know that little tidbit of information about Joe paying the jailer's son for wine. Wish I had known that when I needed a comeback!

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:08PM

It further contradicts John Taylors account of the scene as well. He made a point to write that he was aware that many of the saints assumed that they had procured the wine to use for sacrament. He refuted that by stating that it was quite the contrary, they got the wine to lift thier low spirits. He also went on to write about how durring his recovery he refused solid food and recovered on a diet of mostly (((((drumroll)))) BEER!!!

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 12:52PM

That is because wine was not intoxicating in the 1840s, just as wine was not intoxicating in the New Testament, even though wine WAS intoxicating in 1 Nephi and Mosiah. When God removed the priesthood from the earth, he took the yeast with it.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 02:51PM

They were drinking tequila that the other "Jesus" had.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:16PM

Posted by: Gullibles Travels ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 09:13PM

LOL! I just choked on my juice!

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:00PM

Alcohol tastes like poison to children. Any child that age would be so disgusted and afraid of being forced to drink alcohol.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 01:09PM

I think little Joe's dad was a heavy drinker and it probably upset the little guy. So he saw what it did to his dad and didn't want to be like that. That is another reason I see for him refusing wine as a child.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 02:31PM

Cristina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alcohol tastes like poison to children. Any child
> that age would be so disgusted and afraid of being
> forced to drink alcohol.

Yeah, what Cristina said. The morgbots embroidered this silly story to epic proportions. Plus, the alcohol offered to young Joe was probably some homemade, backwoods, rot-gut corn liquor. Yuck.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 02:36PM

My niece would rather die than put anything in her mouth that t she hasn't tasted before.That is fairly typical although she is super fussy. Basically she likes sweets, milk, chips, cold cereal, macaroni, pizza and chicken nuggets. She wouldn't try alcohol for anything. If by some miracle you got some in her, she would spit it out. I think most kids would,

Posted by: Gullibles Travels ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 09:24PM

and accidentally left it on the coffee table one night.

Our 4yr old took a big gulp and was sputtering and gagging for about a minute.

Now before she goes to take a drink of her dads drink she hesitates and asks, "It has akahall in it?"

Hopefully that experience will last thru college. A mother can dream. ;-)

On a serious note, all the most responsible drinkers I ever knew in HS/college were kids who had had exposure to alcohol via parents who were themselves responsible drinkers.

The wilder kids had had either zero experience, or had had some wild/crazy parents.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 12:05AM

I totally agree. I'm a convert and there was always alcohol in my house. Never a big deal. Wine with dinner, etc. My parents were cool and explained to us that alcohol is for adults and should be handled responsibly. But we were always allowed to have a drink at home.

So when I hit high school and all my Mormon friends were binge drinking, drugging, having sex and lying to their parents about EVERTHING, I didn't understand what the fuck was wrong with them.

I grew up in Mormonville Mesa, AZ and based on my life experience, the Mormon kids I knew were the worst trouble makers ever.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 02:44PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001280

"Celiac disease is a condition that damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing parts of food that are important for staying healthy. The damage is due to a reaction to eating gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oats."

http://www.celiac.com

Date: February 10, 2011 03:13PM

Celiac Diesease doesnt come from eating gluten. It is actually genetic and quite rare.

"The first is celiac disease (CD), or gluten-sensitive enteropathy. This is an autoimmune disease of the small intestine that occurs in people with a genetic predisposition. It's not caused by gluten and you can't develop it by eating gluten, but if you're one of the unlucky few born with the gene, and you develop CD (which not everyone does), eating gluten will cause an adverse reaction. The immune system inside the bowel tissue improperly reacts to the gliadin protein, which causes inflammation of the bowel tissue, and interferes with your body's ability to absorb nutrients from food. There's no cure for CD, and the only way to live with it is to adopt a gluten free diet for the rest of your life. Roughly one tenth of one percent of Americans have this (1 in 1,000), give or take; the number is not well known. [Addendum: The number may be as high as 8 in 1,000. - BD" http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4239

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:25PM

I can no longer be tested, but probably have celiac disease, and have severe reactions to even tiny amounts. Celiac is actually not as rare as once thought. In the U.S. that erroneous idea is slowly changing. Europe has more accurate rates of diagnosis.

Date: February 10, 2011 03:31PM

Okay, my mistake. I just read the quote and took it out of context.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 02:48PM

Major Bidamon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Starts asking DW the reason the Lord tells us to
> eat wheat and why that is.
>
> This guy is hard core TBM, so I say, "the WOW also
> says to eat meat sparingly -- I guess they should
> get rid of all the burger joints in Utah". I was
> ignored.
>
> He will have a hard time ignoring me when I show
> him in the History of the Church where JS drank
> wine the day he was killed.
>
> I will return and report.

Also had some tobacco ordered.

Ron

Date: February 10, 2011 02:52PM

they were nicotene-free cigarettes ... maybe it was "the patch". In anycase, I'm sure there is a valid explanation a TBM will pull out of you know where.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:30PM

Am I the only one who actually thought I might read about a TBM having deep thoughts??? I guess that is really not possible.

Guess I'm not as recovered as I'd hoped. ;o)

Date: February 10, 2011 09:00PM

oh that was fun. I had him and his DW read from my kindle (while my DW gave me a dirty look).

He brushed it off with some non-sense about the WOW becoming a commandment under Heber J. Grant as a response to the Church not supporting the church with Prohibition.

An "old ironsides" TBM ... cannonballs bounce off his thick skull.

Posted by: ink ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:51PM

The meat part of the word of wisdom is not faith promoting. Everyone knows this. Besides, if you eliminate meat from your diet, then you're a commie liberal anti.

Isaythisinthenameofelderpackard... amen.

Posted by: levite ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 11:52PM

is their any historic proof that joe smith drank wine especially on the day he was killed?

Just courious to get more bullets for mormons that try to jusitfy he was the greatest prophet since jesus himself
as some say even the holy ghost incarnated..

What a proc of shit......

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.