Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 03, 2013 07:49PM

I might be moving to Arizona. Can't say I'm thrilled with the idea. A quick google search showed only a Christian ex-Mormon group. I was hoping for an in-person vanilla ex-Mormon group. How's life in the Phoenix area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: December 03, 2013 10:10PM

Mesa and Gilbert have lots of Mormons. I've occasionally seen posts on here of meet-ups around the valley, but I never went to any.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: December 03, 2013 10:15PM

Gilbert, Arizona has a ton of Mormons and I had the unfortunate experience of working with a company full of them.

Posted by: BOOM ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 12:30AM

I live in mesa and yeah, there's a ton of mormons. I work with some pretty orthodox mormon peeps. I keep pretty silent. However, if you moved to phoenix life will be completely different. There's not nearly as many mormons in phoenix as there are in the east valley. If you want to move somewhere where you don't have to be around orthodox mormons. Go Phoenix, or west valley, and if you have to go east valley, Scottsdale. That's about it. As far as life in Phoenix, it's great. If you like the sun. I can't stand any hint of cold. Freeway system is awesome too. Where are you moving from?

Posted by: shum ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 10:22AM

I a fifth generation EX-Mo and I do live in Mesa. Give a shout out when you get here Dorothy.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 10:38AM

Go here: http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/chapters/ch_home/542

And sign up here: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AZ-Exmos/info

I think there's also a Facebook page.

The regular meetups are in the East Valley and you can use these groups to set up other get togethers.

Chandler isn't over-run with Mormons, but it's right next to Gilbert and with the new temple, who knows. Phoenix shouldn't be too bad at all.

Posted by: Deb ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 03:08PM

I moved to Arizona City 2 years ago and just resigned from the Church yesterday just hoping to chat with some exmos

Posted by: kokaubeammeup ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 11:33AM

I will be moving out to Tucson or Phoenix from Detroit within a few months also, so that's one more for the resistance

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 12:39PM

Question. Are the Mormons in Gilbert just as honest? And do they come across as just as smart as the Mormons in Utah?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 01:06PM

Thanks y'all. We are in Kentucky now. The whole thing is making my head spin. I lived in Phoenix from 84 to 87. I was TBM. It seems like a different lifetime. So many logistical and emotional mountains to deal with.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 10:23PM

Kentucky rain seems to be coming down in Phoenix this week. It’s probably doubled in size since you were here last. It’s a very modern area with good roads and schools. I wouldn’t worry about Mormons. People stick to themselves here. Fortunately the non-mo influx keeps them a small minority.

Posted by: malcontentmesagirl ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 01:51PM

The hubs and I are currently in North Mesa, but we've lived throughout most of the east valley. Our current location is pretty convenient for commuting to N. Scottsdale or Tempe/Chandler. We are about 20 mins from most malls and the airport. Also a fair number of golf courses. The cost of living in Mesa isn't too bad. On the downside I am definitely in the minority in my neighborhood.
Gilbert, Mesa and Queen Creek tend to have a lot of Mormons.
Good luck on your search.

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 10:42PM

Dorothy...

I travel to Phoenix for work all the time.

If you want to know the best places to live and more about it you can email me.

rowellback@ymail.com

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.