Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crom ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 12:51PM

The leaked European Area report:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkrzewzliwbsrvl/2014%20Europe%20Area%20Plan%20Executive%20Version%20-%20English.pdf

shows Cornwall (southwest tip of England) in red, for losing more members than other areas. (see pg.10).

Is this because of Steve Bloor the Bishop that copied all his ward members his resignation letter?

Quote from letter also posted on his blog.

"I realise this will shock you. It has truly shocked me how quickly a testimony of the Church can unravel when Joseph Smith’s divine calling as God’s prophet is undermined by learning the truth about him. "

http://stevebloor.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/letter-to-ward-members-re-resignation-as-their-bishop/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crom ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 12:53PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 12:54PM

That's the speculation.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 02:38PM

I just read Steve Bloor's resignation letter. I have nothing but admiration for him. His letter to his ward members conveys both love for them plus unvarnished honesty about the history behind LDS Incorporated.

"I was hurt by discovering that prophets in times past were “economical with the truth”, at best, in order to protect the Church and this practice continues to this day."

Wow! I stand in awe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2013 03:57PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 08:07PM

Well said indeed.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 03:33PM

Which is why the church wants us to keep our doubts to ourselves.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 03:53PM

...with excommunication.

When will they learn that their authoritarianism is as damaging as the truth about the church's past?

If they would simply allow dissent, disbelief, and democratization of the church they might be able to save it.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 04:14PM

Bloor's blog has an excellent essay on the conversion by deceit of so many British converts.

https://stevebloor.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/towards-a-more-fully-representative-history-of-the-british-mormon-experience/

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 04:27PM

A person could hopscotch all over Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales in areas with loss (red=Cornwall) or no growth (orange pieces of the map).

Brits are clever, aren't they?

Posted by: Tara2 ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 04:34PM

Area plan, objectives and statistics. This reads like a business report.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 07:30PM

Worshipping the made up god YHWH is a serious business.

Thank God YHWH doesn't really exist....(wait, what?)

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 07:12PM

How can sacrament attendance be down so drastically in Cornwall, yet another graphic shows it in the highest range for "real growth" whatever that means in Morgspeak.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 08:15PM

Those clowns can't even be honest in their own internal communications. Those 4 graphs are misleading, and apparently deliberately so. They are also poorly labelled.

As far as I can figure out, they are reporting "real growth" in numbers rather than percentages. If SM attendance is up between 1 and 120, first of all that is a huge range. Secondly, it is almost meaningless unless stated as a percentage, not a raw number like that. If it is up by 50 on a base of 20,000, not a big deal. If it is up by 50 on a base of 144, very big deal indeed.

I also noticed that the areas with the highest number of penises (Melchizedek Priesthood) participating, like Paris and Oslo, were also the areas where SM attendance was falling, not increasing. IOW, the "strongest areas" of the church in Europe were getting weaker, not stronger. The "real growth" was mostly in areas that had few Mormons to begin with.

It is easy to grow where a product is new and unknown. Even a crappy product like LDS Inc.

So all is definitely not well in Zion, Europe Division. And they even lie to themselves, but this report had enough real data that it is possible to figure out at least some of what is really happening on the ground.

What I would give to see all those reports worldwide, every year, plus the report from Greg Dodge's office on how the work is progressing in the Resignations Office! :)

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 04:04PM

I would be willing to bet that Greg Dodge's office is the only place experiencing real growth anywhere in tscc

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 04:11PM

Let's hope so.

Posted by: Crusader ( )
Date: March 01, 2014 05:10AM

I fully support Steve in his efforts to reveal the truth, also I fully support tom Philips in his law suit I have donated to the fund and will continue to do so as and when necessary, I admire and respect the good men who are taking the fight to them a i know that truth will prevail.
Bless you all

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 04:13PM

I don't know, however, there'll be a lot of different wards counted in that area highlighted in the south-west of the England. I'm not sure if just one Bishop could make such a drastic change in such a small time.

Then again, there's got to be some reason for it, so maybe it is? Who knows.

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: March 01, 2014 10:16AM

Statistics usually lie or are often meaningless or misrepresented. To me, these growth stats are like some of the ridiculous, meaningless stats I hear while watching sports on TV (I.e Joe Blow has the most home runs of all time on a Tuesday following a thunderstorm after eating fish for dinner)

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 09:07PM

Posted by: matt20 ( )
Date: March 01, 2014 08:19AM

Here is another nice essay from his site:

Does Mormon Culture Have To Define Us For Life?

http://stevebloor.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/does-mormon-culture-have-to-define-us-for-life/

Date: March 01, 2014 10:38AM

Reading the front cover of the report is says:

"As we retain our new and returning members, save our youth and continue to reactivate the less-active, we will be able to double the active membership of the Europe area with 10 years"

If this is the plan for the Church in Europe, it's kind of sad when you look at it. What about getting new members? If you read between the lines a bit, it pretty much resigns themselves from obtaining growth by getting new members.

After the UK case hits the mainstream, chances for growth by new converts will be slim to none.

Date: March 01, 2014 10:55AM

Btw, I forgot to mention something interesting I heard recently. There was a pretty well substantiated rumor that someone I know here in the US was going to be called as some kind of Area Authority in Europe a while back but the Church recanted the "offer" saying something like "not at this time"...in my opinion, this is directly related to the sh*tstorm for the Church in Europe right now. I told my wife that he is a lucky man not to get the calling and she definitely agreed. He would have been like a soldier going to battle without any weapons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.