Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tx2step ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 10:40PM

I just had "the discussion" with my parents and sibling tonight--they now know how we feel about the church.
My Dad started shouting and saying that I'm "crazy". My Mom played diplomat but finished with,"Well, she's just having a break down because her husband is out of town this week." And my sister went berzerk and tried to doctrinally bully me back in to believing and accusing me and my husband of having worthiness issues.
I feel so alone.
I wasn't trying to turn anyone against the church, it's just that we were all together and I wanted to set the record straight on where we stood once and for all...
I certainly thought I was presenting my position in a non-confrontational way.
It has been a disappointing evening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 10:49PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 04:45PM by Tom Padley.

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 10:50PM

It is hard-- I like the story of Pandora's box especially when hope is the last thing to leave-- Hope you feel better when the hubby comes home.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 11:04PM

Good for you for being real. It takes a lot of courage and you should be damn proud of yourself.

How your family reacted sucks but from reading this forum for a few years, it seems this is very common. So, you have a lot of company here!

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 11:09PM

Im sorry. I know how physically upsetting encounters like that can be. Hopefully you can all come to a respectful understanding.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 11:12PM

Congratulations. You're doing good for future generations and the people in your universe, in my opinion.

Posted by: anonthistime ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 11:16PM

I feel for you, that was us almost 2 years ago. I was shocked at peoples reaction to us. We, also, never tried to get anyone to disbelieve. We only shared some information with those who asked. They all had terrible reactions just like you are describing.

Today we are much happier and stronger but the past couple years have been difficult. I thought that with time family would get over it. We haven't even discussed the issue with family in 2 years and it is worse today then it was in the beginning. I'm sorry that you are going through this. Rfm is an amazing place for support. DH and I also found an excellent, atheist therapist to help us through the recovery process and dealing with the shunning. I wish you the best! Post a lot, everyone here has great experience and advice to share.

Posted by: fred ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 11:32PM

I am so sorry that you are going through this. When I told my TBM parents I figured they would take it hard and that we would not really see them for a year (despite living in the same city). over the past 2 years my interaction went from a minimum of 2 times a month to nothing.

The last several years have been very difficult. Looking back I WOULD do it all over again. I am much happier now. I have become more mature than my parents. I am living my own life. I enjoy Sundays way more. Coffee in the morning is a bonus. Too much to list...

Good luck to you and your husband.

Posted by: ellenl ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 11:29PM

I admire you for your courage and integrity.

Someone has to walk through the fire, so that other doubters will be encouraged, and future generations can live in truth.

It sounds like you and your DH are together on this. A spouse is a very powerful ally to have in this journey.

I wish you both the best.

Posted by: Nonametoday ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 02:51AM

Sorry it didn't go over well. At this point I'd probably ask them to read you the 11th Article of Faith, out loud. Then ask them if they believe it and if they are going to follow the words of their prophet or if they're going to be disobedient. Ask them if they believe in agency or if they would rather follow Satan's plan and force you to obey. Read to them excerpts from Uchtdorf's recent talk and ask them if they are following the council of god's apostles. The best argument at this point is to use their own doctrine against them. You'll never convince them that you're right, but you can definitely convince them raft they're wrong (doctrinally)... Or you just move on. Be yourself, live your life, and don't care about whether they see where you're coming from or not. Good luck!

Posted by: tx2step ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 02:28PM

Thanks everyone for your support.
I'm glad I have people like y'all on my team.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.