Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 10:44PM

I guess the question could be asked for any other type of fraternity like the Moose Lodge or the Odd Fellows, etc. What is it like? What EXACTLY do you do if you were a fully active member? What are the meetings like? Is it just like hanging out at a bar for happy hour with your buddies for a couple nights a week with the occasional ceremony thrown in for new members or those who progress up the ranks? Do you spend a lot of time working on charitable type stuff? What is a week/month in a life of a mason like?

What about the "doctrines?" Is there anything to it or is it just silly old mythologies with symbolism to apply to your current life? Do you study it lot or is that just for the nerdy types? Can you learn it all if you spent some time at it? Is there secret knowledge that you can only learn if you move up the ranks? Are there secret levels above the lowers levels (that the lower level members don't know about)? Is there anything to the conspiracy accusations? Do any Masons take it seriously or is just a club? Do they really have any influence on politics? Does it really make a difference if you are a politician? If so, why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 10:50PM

I wanted to become a mason in California. once you are put up for membership the first thing they do is send two guys to your home to speak to the wife to see if its ok with her. that was the end of that, my wife would have none of it. I have been sorry every since. since I am not dead I hold high hopes of being a mason one day.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 11:00PM

You have to be married to be a Mason? I'm not doubting you, but I always thought they were open so long as your social views fit in with their own.

Posted by: oceanluvr ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 11:05PM

Entered as an Entered Apprentice Mason in April 1992

Passed as a Fellowcraft in October 1992

Raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason November 1992

F#AM, NNNN, NN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2013 11:06PM by oceanluvr.

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: December 09, 2013 11:17PM

I'm a Freemason and have been for over 10 years. The Masonic institution is many things. Each Lodge is different and has its own personality. Some are doing well, others aren't. Many Masons take Freemasonry very seriously, others don't. The reasons for joining range from wanting to be more community oriented to historical interests to esoterica. For many, Freemasonry is a family deal, learned from their fathers, grandfathers, etc.

I used to study Freemasonry more than I do now. It is not a creed or religion, however. It is a fraternal order that uses allegory to teach. There is a requirement to believe in a "supreme being", however, I know Masons who claim nature as their supreme being and others who are very active in their religious observances (I happen to be on the former end of this spectrum).

There are 3 "levels" of Freemasonry. You will undoubtedly have heard of the 33 levels of masonry, however, these are appendages and do not replace the original "blue lodge" of three degrees.

I don't know of any politician that currently uses Freemasonry as a leg up (not that there aren't any, I just don't personally know of any). It was definitely more of a political force in the past, but there are very specific laws against politicking in the fraternity.

Basically, just like everything, you get out what you put in. The experience is very much influenced by the Lodge one chooses. If you are interested in Freemasonry, make sure to find the lodge that is right for you.

SD,Past Master

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.