Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 01:07AM

I don't know what to do. Some nights I manage to fall asleep, others (like tonight) I'm up into the early morning hours and am practically the walking dead in the morning...

Do any of you have any tips to fall asleep? For some reason, things just aren't working for me anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 01:07AM by Strykary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueskyutah ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 02:47AM

Listen to Coast to Coast AM radio show. It is interesting enough to get your mind to stop thinking and concentrate on what they are talking about, but after a while, you will fall asleep.

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 03:00AM

Coast to coast is good. I wouldnt recommend it though whilst driving through the middle of the night through the middle of montana on hwy 12. Got scared and had to turn on the ipod.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 03:19AM

http://www.sleepeducation.com/Hygiene.aspx

I find white noise from a fan helps, too.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 10:07AM

+1 on the fan. Not only the white noise, but chills the room so the blankets feel snugglier.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 10:09AM

You sound like my wife.

You're not my wife are you?

Posted by: Insomniac for this one ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 02:21AM

I've had difficulty sleeping since childhood and am now in my 60's, so I am always a little cynical when somebody tries to tell me about "sleep hygiene."

What if items 4 and 5 in the list of suggestions are in conflict? If you decide you will get up at 7:00 every morning - but couldn't get to sleep until 4:30, you obviously are not going to feel well rested.

It's a good thing I am retired and don't have to wake up to an alarm clock any more because I have become phobic about them. Seriously. If I have to set an alarm clock for an early-morning appointment, I have even more difficulty than usual falling asleep, just thinking about that bloody alarm clock.

Insomnia SUCKS - and so does our local sleep clinic.

Date: February 12, 2011 09:33AM

I get up at the same time and then take a nap later. Doing that establishes one anchor point and gets you up in the morning. When you get up, get out into the morning sun for a while if you can to help set your sleep cycle.

I can recommend a book that might be helpful. It goes into depth on sleep and provides some alternatives to the usual sleep cycle if for some reason you are unable to do it. It's titled The Insomnia Answer by Paul Glovinksy, Ph.D. and Arthur Spielman, Ph.D.

http://www.amazon.com/Insomnia-Answer-Personalized-Identifying-Overcoming/dp/0399532978/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297521340&sr=8-1

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 09:38AM by robertb.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 06:40AM

I'll give those a shot.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 06:54AM

These have worked for me. Sleep environment is key.

Make sure your bedroom is free of clutter or things out of place. Because these cause distractions about things not being finished to your mind even if you're not aware of it.

Earplugs. Mack's makes good soft earplugs. (You can get them on Amazon.com or Walgreens) They block out enough of that ambient hum in the environment. (Yet they're not sound proof so you could hear loud noises.) I find this has made the world of difference. Sometimes falling asleep is just a matter of feeling silent and isolated enough from the surroundings to go inward.

Covering your head with a blanket as silly as it sounds also contributes to that sense of hibernation that lets sleep come.

White noise machines also help, even with the earplugs in, I find it very helpful in soothing the environment.

Finally, insomnia often has to do with being unable to turn off the narrative going on in your head. That narrative, what you're reviewing about the day or problems on your mind employs the left analytical side of the brain. Sleep requires the right side of the brain to take over. So one thing that helps is to continue your thoughts but begin to visualize (right brain) what you're thinking instead of telling yourself a narrative using language. If you can't stop thinking about work for example. Stop having a conversation in your head about it. But still let yourself think it, just think it using the right brain--visualize the events. When your brain is visualizing what its thinking about, dreaming and sleep slip in easily.

Good luck.

Date: February 11, 2011 09:47AM

A Cristina Aquilera video helps, too. *grin*. Just teasing you.

One of my clients told me that with ear plugs he hears his own breathing, which is soothing to him. At one time if I woke up thinking, making a quick note helped calm my fears of forgetting. So I kept a notepad on my beside table. I use positive self-talk about getting to sleep or getting back to sleep and some of my clients reports that works well. Something like,"I woke up but it's OK. I'll get back to sleep soon." I combine that with gentle stretching in bed. I found it does *not* help to get angry about being awake or waking up. Adrenaline and sleep don't mix :-)

Date: February 11, 2011 10:34AM

Yeah, I meant to tell you, I saw that Lady Marmalade. My hair looks like that right now before I get in the shower. :) But the rest of me not so much. :)

Date: February 11, 2011 10:37AM

Thanks for being a good sport. I really enjoy you being here. I hadn't thought of the sleep process the way you described it. Really interesting. I'll have to go find out more.

Date: February 11, 2011 10:45AM

Thanks I like you too.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 10:06AM

That's probably the clearest and most concise explanation of insomnia. I've suffered from it for over 15 years.

I usually take a Benadryl a couple of hours before i have to go to bed. It helps me fall asleep, even though I tend to wake up a couple of times during the night.

A light snack, like milk and a banana, toast with Nutella, a few crackers and slices of cheese sometimes help. Also having a nighttime routine convinces my mind it's time to relax and get ready for sleep.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 11:15AM

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 08:05AM

Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is an antihistamine which causes drowsiness in most people. It is commonly used in over-the-counter (OTC) sleep aids but the cheapest way to get it is to just buy a bottle of it at Sam's Club or Costco. You should try it on the weekend to see how you feel the next morning. It doesn't work well for me because I always feel groggy the next day.

There are also prescription sleep medications:

Lunesta works well but is not available as a generic so it tends to be expensive, although, sometimes the doctor or pharmacy will have discount cards. You can also check out http://www.lunesta.com/ for discounts. Lunesta comes in 1mg, 2mg or 3mg coated pills. I usually get the 3mg ones and cut them but you have to be very careful how you swallow them once they're cut. Lunesta has an extremely bitter taste that lingers in your mouth. Just thought you should know. I sleep very well when I take Lunesta but usually feel a little hung-over in the morning.

Sonata (Zaleplon) is available as a generic. It comes in 5mg, 10mg, or 20mg capsules. Thirty (30) of the 10mg capsules costs about $22 at the Costco pharmacy. That's the cheapest I've seen. For most people, it is short acting. It will help you get to sleep quickly but wears off in 4-6 hours.

Ambien (Zolpidem) is available as a generic. It comes in 5mg and 10mg tablets. Thirty (30) of the 10mg tablets costs about $9 at the Costco pharmacy. That's the cheapest I've seen. The nice thing about Ambien is you can break (or cut) the tablets in half and take only 5mg if that's all you need. You can also cut them into quarters if you have a pill cutter but it is hard to do because of their size. Ambien is also available in an extended release (XR) version but it's more expensive because it's not available as a generic. Ambien leaves me feeling a little hung-over the next day but not as bad as the Lunesta.

You should discuss your sleeping problems with your doctor to determine which medication is right for you. Your doctor may be able to give you samples so you can see how each one works for you. It is not good to use these every night but it's not good going without sleep either. Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits.

Most people don't have problems with the Benadryl other than feeling hung-over the next day. However, some people have had adverse reactions with the prescription medications. They are in a class of drugs call Hypnotics. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnotic ] People have been known to sleep walk, eat, drive on these drugs, especially the Ambien. Do NOT take them with alcohol or cold medications like Nyquil. My nephew's girlfriend took Ambien and Nyquil one night and got up in the middle of the night and went for a drive. She totaled her car. She wasn't seriously injured but she had taken her 5-year-old son with her and he was. He's going to be okay but will be wearing a back brace for a while. She has no memory of any of it.

It sucks having insomnia. I hope you get your sleeping problems under control.

Good luck.

Date: February 11, 2011 09:40PM

Also, ask your doc about Trazadone. It is used off-label as a sleep aid. I use it as do many of the combat veterans I see. It isn't addictive and you can adjust the dosage.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 12:27AM

I have had insomnia for about 20 years. My doctor told me that Benadryl is better for you than over the counter or persc. sleep aids. I take the liquid form. Works great.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 04:46PM

Benzodiazepines like trazadone and ambien, lunesta types have heavy side effects for many, and yes can be addictive. Rozerem is a non-benzo sleep aid based on the melatonin receptor system in the brain. Supposedly switches off the "brain awake" system so the "brain asleep" system can dominate. No brain fog, no addiction-supposedly. Might want to include this one when discussing with a doctor.

Date: February 12, 2011 05:13PM

hello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Benzodiazepines like trazadone and ambien, lunesta
> types have heavy side effects for many, and yes
> can be addictive.

Trazadone is not a bezodiazepine.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a681038.html

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 09:58AM

(1) I listen to something entertaining, usually an audio book or a podcast on the computer. I have a computer next to the bed.

(2) Download the delightful Aire Freshener program (free) and listen to some soothing "white noise". I like the babbling brook or fountain. There are a lot of sounds to choose from. http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

(3) I pop a "poor man's" sleeping pill: one Tylenol PM (or sometimes two) which contains diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in Benadryl.

Sweet dreams.

Posted by: Hillbilly Heathen ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 10:43AM

Having spent a lot of times working long and sometimes odd hours in the mines, I've discovered that:

A - Make the room as dark as possible. Thick aluminum foil on the windows works great (though it does look wierd from the outside).

B - Keep the room as cool as possible, then pile blankets on. It gives a womb like sense of security.

C- Keep a fan blowing on you. Keeps the air moving, and is relaxing as well.

D - Get some high decibel earplugs designed for sleep. I recommend the purple ones, found at wal mart and other similar stores. WORD OF WARNING - With these earplugs, you will hear NOTHING - including smoke alarms, etc.

E - A benadryl will work, but, as others have said, can leave you hung over.

Hope this helps!

Posted by: works ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 11:10AM

"often has to do with being unable to turn off the narrative going on in your head."

+1

Use the "Sleep" as your 'mantra'. Clear your head by saying to yourself (over and over), Sleeeep, Sleeep....

When a thought tries to enter your head, push it out with the word "Sleeeeeep".... visualize the word/letters "S-l-e-e-p".

See you in the morning.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 11:15AM

Get some Cestial Seasonings Sleepy time tea. Have a half a cup of tea, take a hot bath. Have another cup of tea. Read a really boring college text book. And you will be asleep in no time.

I find clean sheets even if I have to change them every day helps too.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 11:20AM

http://www.sleepeducation.com/Hygiene.aspx

There's lots more advice out there, just a google away...

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 01:26PM

1. An hour before "bedtime", I get on my elliptical trainer (in the basement) and do a strenuous 45 minute cardiovascular workout. My exercise level is to drive my heart rate at 90% of the maximum rate (heart beats per minute = 220 minus my age). When I finish that routine then I am seriously tired.

2. Next I take a hot shower for 15 minutes. That relaxes me.

3. Then I get in bed. Between being tired from the exercise and relaxed from the shower, I usually fall asleep in about five minutes.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 10:09PM

My sleep secret: three good cozy dogs who snuggle up and keep me warm and secure and happy. Beats anything else I've tried.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 11, 2011 10:26PM

I have a sleep disorder, and nothing works for me, because my circadian rhythm is different.

If insomnia is severe you can see a doctor that specializes in sleep medicine. Here are some links:

Can't Sleep? What To Know About Insomnia
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-related-problems/insomnia-and-sleep

Five Clusters of Sleep Patterns
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/hot-topics/five-clusters-sleep-patterns

Sleeping Smart
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-facts-information/sleeping-smart

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 02:49AM

Everybody's different.

If I exercise, or even go for a walk in the evening, I'm energized, and can't get to sleep. If I don't exercise at all, I can't sleep. So, I exercise every day, as early in the day as possible.

Ambien is awful to get off of. I had to do it very gradually, but I had three awful weeks of sleepless nights. I'll never take that stuff again. It causes your body to stop making its own natural melatonin. A half of a dramamine works best for me.

Caffeine gives me the jitters and makes me anxious, and gives me insomnia, no matter what time of day I drink it.

I have a blacked-out room, a white noise machine from Brookstone, earplugs, an eyeshade, loose, baggy pajamas, clean sheets, smoothed blankets, and a special neck-support pillow.

Never sleep with a cat. Cats are cuddly, but they're nocturnal.

Sleep alone, like the President and the Queen. I believe that spouses should each have their own room. Waaay too stimulating to brush up against a hot, naked man, when you're trying to sleep.

Posted by: Insomniac for this one ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 03:38AM

I've been on it for about five years now and it has worked very well, but I'm at about the max dosage now and want to taper off.

When you say you got off it "very gradually," was that maybe dropping it by a quarter of a tablet for a week or two, and then another quarter, or what?

I know I am terribly dependent on the stuff but I have been diagnosed with PTSD and I hear that sleep disorders are extremely common for people with this problem.

I hate just lying there, awake, when the rest of the Western World is asleep - hate it with a passion - but I also hate knowing that I am so dependent on this drug.

Any recommendations you can make would be appreciated.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 12, 2011 03:44AM

you may have DSPS - Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. I have a severe case of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.