Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 07:14AM

like unto the Nephites." 3 Nephi 2:15. Is this in the Book of Mormon? I ripped mine up and threw it away years ago so it couldn't damage any one else's life.

If it is in there, isn't it proof that the Church is lying in its latest announcement?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 07:18AM

Have always wondered why dark-skinned people would stick with tscc after reading the bom.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 07:05PM

What about sun tans?

My ass is pasty white but during the summers my tanned regions turn red/dark brown and I have compared my arms to friends of mine who are labeled as dark skin by society and I am way darker.

WTF. Does the morg god hate me more during the summertime?

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 07:19PM

Yes. You are a heathen for sitting around on the beach and getting a sun tan.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 07:16PM

I thought they changed it from "white" to the more ambiguous word "fair".

Either way it refers to native Americans, (or is it some as yet undiscovered tribe?), so it has nothing to do with the announcement regarding people of African descent.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 07:22PM

The BoM describes the curse as a "skin of blackness". I'd say it has everything to do with this statement:

"Today, the Church disavows the theories advanced in the past that black skin is a sign of divine disfavor or curse, or that it reflects actions in a premortal life; that mixed-race marriages are a sin; or that blacks or people of any other race or ethnicity are inferior in any way to anyone else. Church leaders today unequivocally condemn all racism, past and present, in any form."

Africans aren't cursed, but most of the rest of the people on the planet are? It's not spelled out in this statement, but I would say that "people of any other race or ethnicity" are not cursed...and the BoM is, of course, not true.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 07:18PM

I'm the best proof that the Book of Mormon is a fraud. I've done some terrible things in my life, and I'm still as white and anglo-saxon as ever.

And yes, that is still in 3rd nephi.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 07:21PM

I don't understand how any non-white people can have anything to do with any Abrahamic religion.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 08:07PM

I don't understand how ANY people can have anything to do with ANY religion.

Date: December 11, 2013 08:12PM

Agreed.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 08:15PM

Tristan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand how any non-white people can
> have anything to do with any Abrahamic religion.

Huh?

Are you saying that Jews, or Catholics are racist? Because I have Jews in my family and I am Catholic and there are no racists there and neither group is generally racist.

Date: December 11, 2013 08:58PM

Not individual people, no. But there are traces of racist doctrine, & good people just basically sidestep it nowadays.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 07:45AM

I think what Tristan is pointing out is the bible justifies racism against black people.

From Wiki:

The explanation that black Africans, as the "sons of Ham", were cursed, possibly "blackened" by their sins, was advanced only sporadically during the Middle Ages, but it became increasingly common during the slave trade of the 18th and 19th centuries.[54][55] The justification of slavery itself through the sins of Ham was well suited to the ideological interests of the elite; with the emergence of the slave trade, its racialized version justified the exploitation of African labour.

It's not the people it's the religious doctrine that is racist.

The Holy Bible started all this nonsense with the Cain and Ham fables and the morg just ran with it.

Is that what you meant Tristan?

If not I'll go stand in the corner. :0)

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 09:26PM

I'm not sure from where they get their religious "justification" for these behaviors, but the fact is that today, the Zionist state of Israel is perhaps the most racist and apartheid state in the world. Blacks, Palestinians, Arabs, Muslims of all stripes, Christians, Goyim of all stripes, are all second class or worse as citizens of or visitors to the state of Israel.

The modern Zionist state, and its "orthodox" Jewish inhabitants, teach by their laws, actions and words that people of ALL ethnicities and faiths are inferior to "Ashkenazi Jews".

Truly, Israeli Jews are the "chosen".

Date: December 13, 2013 04:13AM

That's because the Orthodoxy rules everything. Secular Israelis, even though they are the majority, are basically screwed. No wonder they leave & go to Europe or North & South America.

Date: December 13, 2013 04:15AM

Yes, that's what I meant. :)

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 09:02PM

Hi Tristan,

I just wanted to point out that many Jews, Moslems, Bahais and Christians have brown skin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 09:03PM by Senoritalamanita.

Date: December 11, 2013 09:07PM

I know that! I'm not stupid! I live in a big city far away from Utah, where I have lived my entire life. I have known many different kinds of people my entire life. Most (practically all) of my friends growing up were not Mormon.

I just have the opinion that some religious doctrine is racist & bigoted.

Date: December 11, 2013 10:26PM

Sorry Tristan. I had no intention of offending you. I apologize.

Date: December 11, 2013 10:29PM

It's OK. I was being stupid tonight, & I'm sorry for that.

Date: December 11, 2013 10:32PM

No worries.

:D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 10:33PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 04:38AM

And their curse was taken from them and their skin turned white and Michael Jackson got the gig as poster boy for them.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 07:24AM

All the church has to do is start issuing massive free doses of hydroquinone cream to the less valiant -- oops I mean darker skinned members until a safe anti melanin vaccine can be found. Once the vaccine is developed, thousands of converts will flocking to the church in order to become "white and delightsome."

Date: December 13, 2013 03:42AM

What is so F(*_&&*( great about white anyway? I'm white and I am prone to sunburns and skin rashes. White skin is too sensitive.

Date: December 13, 2013 03:46AM

Anything to do with CURSES has nothing to do with anything resembling any kind of god. I mean think about it.
Last Halloween, wasn't it supposedly witches who put a curse on someone? NOT REALLY but wasn't it?
So why would anyone namem God put a curse on anyone?

Date: December 13, 2013 03:50AM

Brethenaduie has a great point - if you want a great tan, screw the tanning salon, just sin like crazy. Avoid all that radiation too. The more you sin, the darker you'll get. NOT!! I still have my Danish skin and I am an apostate. Acording to TSCC, I should have to wear white to be seen at night.

Posted by: Tapirrider ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 07:41AM

The Book of Mormon said that American Indians would turn white.

2 Nephi 30:6 caused Mormons to say that American Indians would turn white when the curse was removed from them.

"And then shall they rejoice; for they shall know that it is a blessing unto them from the hand of God; and their scales of darkness shall begin to fall from their eyes; and many generations shall not pass away among them, save they shall be a white and a delightsome people."

The doctrine and belief were so ingrained that the Mormon prophet Wilford Woodruff prayed for Indians to turn white when he dedicated the Salt Lake Temple in 1893,

"Restore them we pray Thee, to Thine ancient favor, fulfill in their completeness the promises given to their fathers, and make of them a white and delightsome race, a loved and holy people as in former days."
http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/61688/Salt-Lake-Temple-O-Lord-we-regard-with-intense-and-indescribable-feelings-the-completion-of-this-sacred-house.html

And the Mormon prophet George Albert Smith also prayed for their skin color to change when he dedicated the Idaho Falls Temple in 1945.

"O Father, remember Thy promises made unto Thy holy prophets regarding the remnants of those whom Thou didst lead unto this western hemisphere, that they should not be utterly destroyed but that a remnant should be preserved which would turn from their wickedness, repent of their sins, and eventually become a white and delightsome people. May the day speedily come when those promises will be fulfilled."
http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/61725/Idaho-Falls-Idaho-Temple-We-pray-for-the-youth-everywhere.html

In the October 1960 LDS General Conference, Spencer W. Kimball said that the promise in 2 Nephi 30:6 was being fulfilled, and American Indians were turning white.

"For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos, five were darker but equally delightsome. The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation."

"At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl–sixteen–sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents–on the same reservation, in the same hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather."
http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=1091&era=yes

But in 1981 the LDS church changed the words in the Book of Mormon. Now it says "pure and a delightsome people." The first Book of Mormon printed in 1830 said "white", not "pure".
http://archive.org/stream/bookofmormonacco1830smit#page/116/mode/2up

For 151 years Mormons believed that American Indians would turn white. Mormon prophets believed it, taught it and prayed for it to happen. American Indian children in the placement program lived in white Mormon's homes. They were thought to be turning white if they were righteous enough.

Where was the Mormon god to reveal to the prophets that there was a mistake in the Book of Mormon? Why were the prophets not told about the mistake? Those useless prophets caused sick games to be played with the minds of American Indian children. The Book of Mormon caused white Mormon prophets and apostles to expect the impossible from American Indians, that children's skin color would be changed if they were righteousness enough.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 08:57AM

If Joseph Smith had his way then "the curse" would have started to lift from the lamanites after a few generations. That is, after a few generations of polygamous relationships with white fathers :O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 08:57AM by The Invisible Green Potato.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 07:17PM

Besides the stuff about Jesus, the two main doctrinal plot lines of the BoM are:

1. The bad guys have dark skin

2. Righteousness will make you wealthy

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 09:27PM

"Church leaders today unequivocally condemn all racism, past and present, in any form."

Except in the written form of course. And if they really condemn past racism, why does the church still exist? By condemning past racism do they mean continuing to tell the world how wonderful their church is, which was founded on racism? I'm confused.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.