Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 01:28PM

According to the apologists I listened to on the Doug Fabrizio radio broadcast, linked on another post, it is your fault if you follow the prophet on one of those occasions when he is "acting as a man".

You are supposed to pray about all instructions given by the prophet and the Holy Ghost will inform you whether or not you should obey.

I think they need to change the definition of "sustaining". If they included a clarification that you only sustain priesthood leaders when they are not "acting as a man" it might make people think twice and consult the Holy Ghost more often.

I would feel worse about all of those times that I blindly obeyed, but apparently prophets don't get the message from the Holy Ghost that their predecessor "was acting as a man" more often than not and they would be wise to start from scratch, either.

Oh, and all of those leaders who told you that the prophet would never lead the church astray. They forgot to pray before they told you that. They were "speaking as men" and you should not have believed them.

The primary is going to have to remove a song from their song book. Apparently they forgot to pray before they included Follow the Prophet. There should be a disclaimer at the end, warning the children that they need to consult the Holy Ghost before they follow the prophet, because he might not know the way.

So for those of you who are still in TSCC, the next time you raise your hand to the square you need to say in your mind, I sustain, first name, middle initial, last name, as a whatever, except on those occasions that the Holly Ghost tells me that he has gone bat sh*t crazy and is attempting to lead my astray.

Good luck with discerning when the leaders are inspired and when they are men and you'd better ramp up your connection with the Holy Ghost, because if you get it wrong, It's Your Own Dang Fault.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 01:33PM

"He was acting as a man"

Well...

That's because he IS a man! Accept that a man is all you are and the whole damn world will be better off for it. K? Thanks...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 01:33PM

I was dating someone gay. The bishop and other leaders gave me all kinds of "advice." I was suicidally depressed the entire time, wishing to cease to exist rather than suicide. I would go in and tell the bishop "this is what I feel my answers are"--and he'd sit there and shake his head, "No." and then tell me how we had to do it.

When I was deciding to marry him, they all told me that everything would be okay.

Now when I tell TBMs this story, they tell me that they would have been smart enough to not listen. Huh? I was taught to listen to my leaders. At least when I told my dad they told me it was my job to save my husband, my dad didn't say, "why did you listen?" He was angry at the leaders. At least he got the teachings right and he wasn't even that TBM.

You are taught all your life to listen and obey. You go in and talk to a bishop in his office and he tells you what you should do, downplaying your own concerns. I had one guy tell me that God had provided me with this opportunity to save a soul and how would I feel when I met God and told him I'd given up.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 01:44PM

What about the statement that a profit of the church will never be allowed to lead the church astray? I would say that if a man is a TRUE prophet he would NEVER act or speak as a man because according to god he would be struck down if he began to do or say something that is contrary to church doctrine.

The church has so many ways around logic and common sense to help the brainwashed members deal with their cog dis and it is just getting worse as time goes on. With the internet more truth is coming to light and it is getting harder for the church to keep the members blind and brainwashed.

My first step out of the church was when Mark Hoffman sold fake documents to Kimbal and his peeps. I could not accept or justify that the profit would pay so much money for fake documents. Where was his prophetic inspriations when he was writing the check? Don't try to tell me that he just wanted to get the docs off the street so that members wouldn't be confused. I saw that transaction and Kimbal was genuinely excited to be aquiring those docs. So was Benson and the rest of the groupies.

So yeah, don't try to feed me that BS, if a profit is really a prophet he should NEVER act or speak as a man because of what he supposedly stands for. A man is a man and a profit is for profit and a prophet is a prophet and I honestly don't believe there has ever been a true prophet ever period. All the profits of the church have definitely been FOR PROFIT!!!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 03:15PM

I could never tell if I was getting an answer or not. If I felt anything different after praying (usually I didn't), that feeling might be different in a few hours, or the next day. So prayer left me more confused than if I had decided to figure something out for myself. I started to feel that I was perhaps unworthy to receive revelation because I couldn't even tell if it was getting it.

People like that caller, who blame members for not getting their own inspiration, just feed into the guilt that many honest people have that they God doesn't personally guide them. (Hint: maybe there IS no God, and it's the normal people who don't get revelation!)

In the LDS church, personal revelation is a tool of guilt and manipulation rather than a tool for finding the truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 03:16PM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 04:17PM

Can you imagine what would happen if you did claim that the Holy Ghost told you the PROPHET was wrong?

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 04:19PM

Hey maybe the guys could get away with it but the women and girls-- nope ... they are supposed to get all their inspiration from the PH. Obedience should be the women's only goal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.