Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 12:14AM

How the Holidays Truly Suck for Some People.

It starts with Halloween, and it's downhill from there. I got tired of opening the door every ten seconds and inadvertently insulting some kid's costume ("Oh! I love your necromancer costume!" "I'm a ballerina." "Oh.") when I was about 25. Hanging a sign on the door that read, "NO CANDY! SORRY!" didn't keep them away, so I started sitting a bowl of candy outside and refilling it between beers. I had no compunction about destroying someone's oral hygiene or aiding someone's nascent diabetes mellitus type 2 if they or their parents can't read a damn sign.

Turkey Day is a non-starter for me, and now my office is nutty for Santa.

We have a Live Tree. It's not everyone's Live Tree. It is My Team's Live Tree, wonderfully donated by someone who needed to offload a tree that wouldn't sell. We are encouraged to decorate said Live Tree, so I'm going to put something on it. Maybe a lump of coal...

We are also having an Ugly Holiday Sweater contest. Uh, huh. We are. I will be wearing my Krampus shirt if it comes in time. (Thanks, Susan I/S!) USPS tracking puts it somewhere in Florida.

Meanwhile, I am educating my team on the wonderfulness of Krampus and how the Universe Needs Balance. If they are going to get all jolly, they need to see the dirty underbelly of Yuletide cheer and embrace it as the other half of a whole. You can't have St. Nick without Damned Krampus.

I am looking for people to join The Krampus Soldiers -- converts, if you will. I will also be holding Story Time for my coworkers' children where we will reenact salient scenes from The Brothers Grimm fairy tales as an effort to keep Krampus at bay. It's the least I can do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EmmaWho ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 12:31AM

I've just educated myself on Krampus. Thank you.

Posted by: Anon 21 ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 03:17PM

OH! OH! Thank you guys! Child who always buys weird T shirts has never heard of this one. Its exactly what I needed! (she's taken to buying her own Christmas presents...here Mom, you gave me this (because you are such a crappy Christmas present person) but this...THIS she will LOVE!!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 12:38AM

The Krampus is a serious holiday tradition with my family. Ever since we discovered it a few years back.

There is a German restaurant in our town, and I have been trying to get them to enter a Krampus into the town Christmas parade. By which I mean I bring it up with the manager the two times a year I eat there.

Date: December 13, 2013 12:40AM

Yeah. I'm telling people to google Krampus. They think I'm making it up. I'll send out a blast email to the team.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 12:41AM

I just finished reading Krampus: The Yule Lord by Brom

It was a really good book.Heres the Amazon link
http://www.amazon.com/Krampus-The-Yule-Lord-Brom/dp/006209565X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386913269&sr=8-1&keywords=Krampus+yule+lord

Date: December 13, 2013 12:43AM

Thank you!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 03:28AM

No problem. I have also read The Child Thief, by the same author.

Its a re imagining of the Peter Pan Story.

His style is rather dark, but it is very compelling and thought provoking.

Also, he does use rather crude language, just a warning.

But the Krampus book was no disappointment. The characters are very realistic and you feel for them.

Date: December 17, 2013 10:34PM

Ho! Ho! HO!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 12:45AM

Oh yes...I did first find out about Krampus on "Supernatural" several years back.

http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Krampus

Date: December 13, 2013 12:48AM

I love freakish stuff.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 05:53AM

endlessly searching for...sex

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Final Blindness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Boy0gVTRx0

(This is the first thing I thought of after hearing about Krampus...)

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 07:36AM

I first met Krampus when I was a young kid in Vienna. He and St Nikolaus came on the first day of Christmas. He brought the stones (lump of coal) to the badies, and St Nick brought candy to the goodies. The christchild came on Christmas with all the toys.

I was pretty scared of old Krampus until my folks assured me that it was just a silly "Austrian" tradition. Apparently SANTA didn't fail to visit us Americans even though we lived abroad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2013 07:37AM by PapaKen.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 09:09AM

Not to be confused with E Clampus Vitus...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Clampus_Vitus

Several of my rowdy friends want me to join.

I am afraid of the hazing/initiation rituals.

The Clampers set many of the Historical Plaques around California.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 10:19AM

I've got a Clamper hubby, and Clamper friends. They are a hoot, and they all love it. Unfortunately, DH can't participate now that we don't live in CA, but all the friends still do.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 09:26AM

Love it! Thanks for educating us. I'll still decorate for Christmas, too, though. Well, I already did. Christmas is much more enjoyable NOW that I don't have to worry about keeping the Christ in Christmas. I just celebrate.

Posted by: Just Passing Through ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 11:16AM

I found Krampus a few years ago and I love that guy. Brings a little balance to the holiday.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 11:17AM

incidentally, this will be the subject of one of the new Grimm episodes coming on tonight. Anyone else watching tonight?

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 12:18PM

I want an excuse to dress like shagrath and scare people

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 12:24PM

You know I luv ya Beth, but this thing would have scared the you-know-what out of me as a kid! I took everything so literally, I probably would have thought it was as real as I thought Santa and Jesus were ;)

TG

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 03:07PM

At a party I went to last Sunday, we had Krampus Carolers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2013 03:08PM by adoylelb.

Date: December 13, 2013 03:13PM

Both the Nazis and the Catholics have tried to destroy the Krampus legend. So if you don't celebrate the Krampus, Hitler and Pope Benedict smile on you, though I think the new guy is probably cool with the whole idea. I am basing that last assumption on good feelings, which is the best kind of proof.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/12/10_fun_facts_about_krampus_the_christmas_demon_1.php?page=2

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 03:13PM

It's like the Chupacabra going on a ride-along with Santa. Cool!

Posted by: Beth NLI ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 09:39PM

I work with a sweet guy. We have ninja arguments (I'll explain later if you want), and I knew he used to be a preacher. And he's a Forever Blusher. How can you not like that?

Wayyull, we were talking about The Seattle Freeze (i.e. making friends here it hard), and he told me he was my friend. I said, "Well, it's best you know I'm an atheist, but I'm spreading The Good News of Krampus. Will you still be my friend?"

;-)

What's interesting to me is that he was saying that when he runs into members of his former church/outreach/whateverthefuck group, THEY SHUN HIM! I was like, "Dude. That's the love of Christ. Krampus already hates you from the get go. Come with me..."

And yeah, TG, it would have loosened my bowels as well.

I'm on the damn bus, so I can't see who said what but:

1. I will check out the Clampers.
2. I bought my son a shirt, too.
3. I will check out the other book
4. I don't have TV, but I'll find the Grimm show when I get home
5. I like the chupracaba (sp?) twist
6. I have to look up that other devil thingy someone mentioned
7. I can't wait to click on your links (and get off this damn bus)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 10:45PM

you can't have st. nick without black pete.

Date: December 18, 2013 06:57AM

The other part of the legend I love about Krampus? He punishes both naughty children, and adult virgins! Or in some versions, adults who are way too prudish. Okay, by adults, I should actually say women, but there is no reason we can't expand the glory of Krampus to cover both genders equally.

Date: December 18, 2013 07:00AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.