Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oncewasblind ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 01:47PM

My daughters talk is based on John 3:16 so I thought to myself OK Ill attend just to hear her speak. She's only 14 but she has no idea that I have lost all belief in TSCC. Someday I will tell her but at the moment I just don't have the fucking balls to tell her. Haha this will be a good laugh today just for me to sit there and see the faces of TBM who really buy into this crap! I'm in NewZealand by the way in case you guys in the USA are wondering why am I attending sacrament on a Sunday because here down under we are a day ahead. Ok guys y'all have a good weekend.Ill update you guys when I get home later.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 01:50PM

Interesting. John 3:16!? That's more of a "saved by grace" type of verse. I'm surprised they are even allowing for that. Most of the talks I listened to were from the BOM or the Teachings of The Presidents of The Church. That is one of the many reasons I left, because of the very little talks from the Bible!

Date: December 14, 2013 01:57PM

Yes pamelaf3211 I thought the exact same thing. When I saw it was based on John 3:16 I almost laughed because most talks are taken from the BOM haha. And as far as scriptures go I will pick the Holy Bible ahead of the BOM anyway anytime because at least the Bible has so much evidence to prove that the places in it are very real.

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 02:18PM

Hopefully your daughter will discover the truth sooner rather than later,with missionary,marriage age approaching in the next few years...

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 06:00PM

You have sacrment meeting on Saturday?

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 06:05PM

New Zealand.

It's Sunday there now.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 06:01PM

FIRST READ (I KNOW THIS IS WRONG!)

... daughter's spanking...

Never Mind!

Date: December 14, 2013 09:08PM

Just got home from that boring sacrament meeting. My daughter gave a 5min talk on John 3:16 the other speakers were boring and the last guy a former bishop who is now a high councilman never mentioned anything about Jesus until the last few minutes of his talk. All he ever talked about was his trip to India,China and then he started talking about Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Ghandi. Don't get me wrong guys I know the people mentioned were good people with good hearts but come on! shouldn't TSCC at least get its speakers to focus 100% on The Jesus Christ instead of rambling on and on about useless things no one ever could give a shit about! Anyway straight after the closing prayer DW and I headed straight for the door then came home. I couldn't stand being inside that building another minute. Got home then did some grocery shopping, haha yes on a hot Sunday afternoon with clear blue summer skies and life felt so good shopping amongst normal human beings who couldn't give a rats ass about religion.

Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 10:30PM

oncewasblind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just got home from that boring sacrament meeting.
> My daughter gave a 5min talk on John 3:16 the
> other speakers were boring and the last guy a
> former bishop who is now a high councilman never
> mentioned anything about Jesus until the last few
> minutes of his talk. All he ever talked about was
> his trip to India,China and then he started
> talking about Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela,
> Mahatma Ghandi. Don't get me wrong guys I know the
> people mentioned were good people with good hearts
> but come on! shouldn't TSCC at least get its
> speakers to focus 100% on The Jesus Christ instead
> of rambling on and on about useless things no one
> ever could give a @#$%& about! Anyway straight
> after the closing prayer DW and I headed straight
> for the door then came home. I couldn't stand
> being inside that building another minute. Got
> home then did some grocery shopping, haha yes on a
> hot Sunday afternoon with clear blue summer skies
> and life felt so good shopping amongst normal
> human beings who couldn't give a rats ass about
> religion.

One of the many reasons I left is because I do believe strongly in the bible and Jesus, and this church rarely has talks based upon the bible alone. I'd have liked more teaching from the bible as opposed to the BoM and the teachings of the pres. of the church. Ugh.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 14, 2013 09:26PM

I am sure your daughter did well. And sorry you had to sit through the rest of the boring talks.

Just wanted you to know it is hot here in OZ too!! I am commisserating with you!!

Guess it will be cold turkey and salads for Christmas Day.

You and your family have a great Christmas!!

Date: December 15, 2013 03:15AM

Thank you fluhist my neighbour from across the ditch. You have a happy Christmas too and happy holidays. Cheers.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 03:22AM

Well it is reallyl quite cold here in Colorado. But I don't know how I would handle the holiday season with hot weather. It would be too weird.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 09:27AM

My first Christmas in South Florida, it was 75 degrees outside. My roommates had gone to their parents' homes to visit, so I put on my bikini and went to the beach. It was a perfect, warm, sunny beach day. Later, because it was too warm to do this for real, I popped in a looped videotape of a fire in a fireplace. I watched my TV fire while I ate my Christmas dinner, and then I opened my gifts (with my mom on the phone).

My sister called later that day and asked if we decorated trees in South Florida. I informed her that we put lights on palm trees, which looks really cool. She said she couldn't picture Christmas without cold & snow. I pictured it just fine.

TL;DR: It is a little weird at first, but doesn't take long to get used to it.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 12:03AM

It can be Enoch, but we are used to it!

I remember one year when I was a child, I insisted that one of the screen windows in the house be left open in the house, so that Santa could get in, as our home lacked a fireplace. As I grew up in semi-tropical Queensland, the house quickly filled with mosquitos, but my parents couldn't argue with me, after all THEY had told me about Santa and the gifts and I didn't want to miss out!!. Soooooo my poor family had to sit and swat mozzies until I feel asleep. Heh heh!! We all have our funny stories to tell!

I did enjoy the soft quiet and very pretty white Christmases I experienced in Canada. But I must admit for those of us born south of the equator, Christmas lunch on the back verandah is normal, and for those who live near the coast a trip to the beach is not at all unusual for Christmas day!

You have a lovely white Christmas with your family!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.