Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ItsGettingBetter ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 02:44AM

It looks like they are more or less decriminalizing polygamy in Utah. What do you think this means for the Church?Do you think Polygamy will ever be recognised by the state?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/us/a-utah-law-prohibiting-polygamy-is-weakened.html?_r=0

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 02:48AM

It has always been recognized by the state. When was the last time you heard of someone charged with polygamy in Utah? They put the law on the books to fool the feds. They have never upheld any laws against it. They have tried to prosecute for rape of underaged girls, but not for polygamy itself. Stupid state!

Posted by: ItsGettingBetter ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 02:51AM

When I say recognized by the state, I meant going beyond tolerating it to actually issuing multiple marriage licenses.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 03:30AM

The actual polygamists will NEVER go for that. As it is now, the woman (who was knocked up 12 times by the same old fart) gets to go to the welfare office and tell them that she has no idea who the father of the dozen brats is. She looks like the slut of the year, but gets food stamps and welfare money, health care etc. for all of the brats and herself. With a guy's name on a marriage license, that guy will end up paying child support for a dozen brats and that is just for THAT wife. My cousin lives in Colorado City. She is a polygamist, the moron (you can choose your friends but not your relatives). But my point is I know of what I say. They proudly call ripping off the gov't "bleeding the beast."
They can issue marriage licenses until the cows come home. The real fundamentalist LDS people have their own phony bologna marriage ceremony and will continue to do so and wil continue to bleed the beast. Those "Sluts" will not show up at a welfare office with a marriage license to get child support. If they did, the men in these cults would get vasectomies. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.
Yes I do know that Colorado City is in AZ, but the other half of it is called Hildale and it is in Utah.
None of the citizens in either state seem to care that they are providing welfare for a bunch of horny freeloaders who are Bleeding the Beast (which is them).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2013 03:34AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: Cipher ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 06:47AM

They're just treating multiple cohabitation the same as any other state now: ignoring it. Nothing will change.

Posted by: reuben nnli ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 09:07AM

I think some are confusing decriminalizing with legalizing. What the ruling says is that the state cannot prosecute certain bigamy cases. By striking down a part of the state's criminal code the ruling has no impact what so ever on the state's civil code which governs who can get legally married in the state.

And, to answer a question above, the state has prosecuted bigamy cases. Because they are hard to prove and expensive, the state focuses on those cases involving minors.

Posted by: FrankZappo ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 04:12PM

Good! More shows about polygamists. I might have to find me another wife. Haha!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.