Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 10:23AM

Another thread here by Levi started me thinking about what we can expect from the cult in 2014.

My sense is they are a highly reactive organization, so I think we will see changes that address what they have recently been criticized for.

My list:

- The calling of at least one well publicized black General Authority. I'm thinking a 70, but not a member of the 12.

- A huge push to demonstrate how charitable they are. I'm guessing a publicized partnership with an international relief organization like Red Cross.

- Maybe--just maybe--some discussion of the BofM being alegorical, or some redefinition or rewording of verses in it dealing with skin color.

- Like this past year, a lot of local interactions with churches of other denominations.

- Not a word about GLBTs, neither positive nor negative.

- And a hopeful thought: Maybe someone will leak financial data.

Anyone want to chime in?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 10:26AM

They're going to publish more articles like the "Blacks and the Priesthood" one. They said they're going to publish 13(?) of these articles, so I expect them to do articles on things like the Mountain Meadows Massacre, Joseph Smith's polygamy, etc.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 03:13PM

QWE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They're going to publish more articles like the
> "Blacks and the Priesthood" one. They said they're
> going to publish 13(?) of these articles, so I
> expect them to do articles on things like the
> Mountain Meadows Massacre, Joseph Smith's
> polygamy, etc.

Thirteen articles? About controversial topics? Any links?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 02:11PM

I think they will address at least one more thing people are griping about. They will keep supporting the statement they just made about not being racist. But I think they'll move slowly and not address a whole list of problems. They will address them one at a time and see if that does the trick - rather than barfing up too much information. The church just wants to shut the mouths of it's critics. It isn't interested in coming clean. So they will do the minimum.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 03:14PM

In grant palmers recent Q&A he said the same thing I have said for 5 years, the church is broke. You can see how desperate they are by reading the Uchtdorf talk given in the last GC, which my father gave me to read.

They are going to accept ANYONE who is willing to pay a little tithing and not call them out on their bullbleep.

Policies will get more and more open, and it will be more about "finding your path" and the eternal family.

Even the temple is going to get watered down even more.

Date: December 15, 2013 03:15PM

6 tries to find the banned word I was red with edits.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 06:27PM

Can you possibly tell me where to find that Q&A? A link would be great, but I'm sure I can find it if you'll point me in the right direction.

Date: December 21, 2013 10:03PM

It is an the play on words in my post above yours

Posted by: curtisthepain ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 04:06PM

Salt lake is down! Repeat Salt Lake is down!. The ship is sinkin' and I'm out drikin' having the time of my life outside of that bullshit church.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 04:25PM

The CES letter, the church's essays, and talk of doubt is going to continue to spread like wildfire. The 15 will never mention the church's founding, and they'll continue to pass the "don't look at anti material" conference talks to unknown 70's. Only one new temple will be announced between the next two conferences...and construction won't start within the next 5 years. More leaders, like Mattson, will leave...mostly quietly. Active membership will decline as inactivity, resignations and deaths outpace births and convert baptisms by a decent margin...while they've been treading water, there will be a clear downward trend over the coming years. Tithing receipts will decline faster than the decline in active membership.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 04:33PM

I predict a defection among the 12, sorry 15.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 04:45PM

That would be pretty big, but I don't see it happening. Maybe you meant to say "I predict a defecation among the 12, sorry 15." This, happening during conference, is much more likely...I'd bet on Monson or Packer.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 05:07PM

LMAO..oh that's brilliant. I understand they make garmy depends now.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 05:42PM

I Predict that there will be TBMs saying how proud they are that TSCC helped Utah to become the 18th state to get gay marriage.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 05:53PM

left4good Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - The calling of at least one well publicized
> black General Authority. I'm thinking a 70, but
> not a member of the 12.

There already is one.
http://www.telestialstate.com/2012/03/02/the-racist-lds-church-accuses-randy-bott-of-being-racist/

And one of the 15 has to die for there to be an opening there, so my prediction is one of the 15 will die in 2014. Didn't happen in 2013 but here is to hoping.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 21, 2013 03:42AM

I'd prefer to see them all live to the fabled 110 years. The current crop of doddering old fools are doing such a marvelous job of running the cult into the ground!

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 06:09PM

Here's my wish for the Mormons...

Now that they have "essayed"/explained themselves re: polygamy, they have already to the nonmo public denied or quit teaching the Mormon/become a god/own planet thing, my wish is that they find a way to have nonmormons also attend full-blown TBM weddings.....

They find a way to that and they will find more acceptance of them..

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 06:11PM

I predict the Mos will make the Guiness Book of Records for having the world's biggest needle built to try and fix the Zion Curtain, which is slowly being ripped to shreds.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 09:48PM

When the old temple attending members see gay couples at the alters and in the endowment sessions they are going to use the new mormon church doctrine......Oh shit, I quit. The shit and quit doctrine is going to be widely embraced by most mormons. When I learned the truth I shit and then quit.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 09:52PM

Well somehow the recent same sex marriage in the news will be mentioned in April's general conference..

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 11:19PM

They are going to continue to be pressured by the uppity women who want pants and prayers in GC. How will they react? There will be publicity no matter what they do.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 21, 2013 12:33AM

More of the same.

- They'll continue to release essays, and it will continue to satisfy the rank and file membership that their history is an open book. There will still be defections, but it will temporarily slow the bleeding.

- Boyd will croak. They'll try and create waves by calling a non-white bread apostle to try and create headlines like Pope Francis, but they will ultimately screw up and no one outside the Morgosphere will notice.

- The church will continue to bleed every penny they can out of members so they can maintain their illusion of wealth.

- After the flop of an attempt to hasten the work, they will turn their immediate attention toward retention efforts. This isn't to say that the missionary/reactivation efforts will stop, but I think at the next GCs we see more feel-good messages to make the average member feel good about being active.

- They will half-heartedly contribute to some humanitarian project and proceed to suck themselves off over how wonderful they are for months. Look for memes, inspirational stories, the works...all for a contribution that is less than your neighborhood Big Box store contributes.

- They will either get REALLY SILENT about Gay rights, seeing it as a losing battle, or they will get REALLY LOUD about it, turning this into their "line in the sand," "battle of the bulge" effort. I predict they might issue a few passive aggressive statements acting pissy about gay-rights rulings to keep the biggots happy, but ultimately stay more or less silent to keep progressive members happy.

Posted by: Bobthetaxman ( )
Date: December 21, 2013 12:55AM

Predictions --- NO --- Dreams --- YES --- Mostly the financial revelations showing the despicable participation in charity work. In conjunction with that, the amassed fortunes that are treasures for the 15 are determined to be taxable because of the violation of the 501 c (3) status the church enjoys now.

Next, the inevitable fall of the BOM, JS, the dappled history being made public, and the outright closure of the entire organization as it shrivels under the scrutiny of the world and science.

Finally, (yes, there is a final chapter), temples become state owned properties, sold as luxury condos or turned into museums for everyone to enter as they please and see the opulent lavishings as the final testimony to ignorance, greed, debauchery, and mind control of a cult.

(Not bad for a dream .... sigh .... ;)

Posted by: isthisnameok? ( )
Date: December 21, 2013 06:03AM

I too predict a defection from the hierarchy, but my prediction will be more general; it will be someone noteworthy, not nec. someone from the 12.

Posted by: BirdUncaged ( )
Date: December 21, 2013 11:38PM

I predict that the church (with the current change of equality in marriage in Utah) will change their stance on temple marriage. The US members will have the option of marrying outside the temple before their "sealings", just as those in Europe do by the October Conference.

I predict Tom Phillip will come through. Great public embarrassment will follow for the church, causing very uncomfortable questions to be asked of the rank and file as to why they are members of such a crazy, corrupt organization. Thereby causing more people to begin to dig deeper--unveiling the "wizard". (I believe in you Tom.)

I predict things will get dicey for the church legally in regards to both their financial dealings--and unreported child abuse--often by leaders.

I predict someone will come forward with damaging information concerning the inner workings of the church, from the inside. A deep throat insider. My feeling is that there are several on the verge, right now, of doing just that. And that when there is sufficient public support and protection, more and more will join them. Ending with BIG names.

I predict more fingers trying to fill the ever newly sprouting holes in the dam...with more and more cracks spreading across the whole. I don't think the dam will burst in 2014, and even when it does, I think the church will survive.

The question is, in what form? And who will be the hold outs? Mostly, I believe, the older, retired generation. And those that are financially benefited by holding it all together (Romneyites). And those in countries where the truth is more easily manipulated and controlled.

I believe 2014 will be a huge benchmark in church history. A turning point.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 07:59PM

"I predict someone will come forward with damaging information concerning the inner workings of the church, from the inside. A deep throat insider. My feeling is that there are several on the verge, right now, of doing just that. And that when there is sufficient public support and protection, more and more will join them. Ending with BIG names."

Me too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.