Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 03:35PM

I have decided I am not going this year. it is no longer important to me to declare to a bishop who cares more about money that my spiritual growth. he has no time to see me for a temple recommend once every two year but makes time every year to make certain I have paid up. its as if giving money somehow equates to being spiritual. no more, not every again. this will give the bishop more time to discuss money with the rest of the flock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 03:38PM

Exactly.

Moreover, tithing settlement implies that you owe a debt to Mormonism, which you do not.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 04:39PM

My main reason for not going is that I do pay extortion!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 04:46PM

The guy has no authority over you. The money you earn belongs to you, not to a church organization which hides its spending and wealth.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 04:48PM

but but you can't say it is actually YOUR money :P

Date: December 16, 2013 08:24AM

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 11:09AM

Because its gods money. He has blessed you with everything you have, and he only wants a 10% kickback.

Date: December 16, 2013 11:11AM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 04:58PM

I agree, well done! A lay clergy person has no authority over you if you don't allow it. I do consider the Mormon priesthood to be lay clergy because the only requirement is to have a penis and a pulse to get it. Even "Seminary" isn't challenging at all, as it's basically getting the same lessons learned in Sunday School every day except for Saturday.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 07:05PM

As long as *you* have a record of what you paid (hopefully through a cancelled check) there is no need for you to go. You just need a record for tax purposes. You could ask the bishop to mail the church's tally of your contribution.

I find it interesting that the Mormon church has this ritual meeting at the end of each year in which individual members declare themselves to be full, partial, or non-tithe payers. Since members undergo separate meetings during the year for temple recommends, why is this extra end of the year meeting necessary?

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 07:09PM

Control, Just control of it's members.

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 09:14PM

summer wrote

I find it interesting that the Mormon church has this ritual meeting at the end of each year in which individual members declare themselves to be full, partial, or non-tithe payers. Since members undergo separate meetings during the year for temple recommends, why is this extra end of the year meeting necessary?

my point is that bishops don't give temple recommend interviews any more, they pawn that off , but they are required to meet with everyone for tithing settlement. so it appears that money is more important than being worthy to enter the temple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2013 09:15PM by zimmy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.