Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: trog ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 12:07PM

Yesterday afternoon I printed out Jeremy Runnells' Letter to a CES Director after seeing it mentioned here several times. I was eager to read the letter, but couldn't because my wife was reading it. For a moment I was annoyed (because I wanted to read the letter), but that feeling quickly passed. I have been making my break from Mormonism slowly because of my wife, and it is great to see her reading the CES letter, and mostly agreeing with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 05:19PM by libor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 12:57PM

Fingers crossed!

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 01:19PM

And mostly agreeing with it? Wow, now that looks positive!

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 02:18PM

That sounds like an extremely fortunate situation! I have high hopes for you!

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 03:47PM

Try the "95 LDS thesis" as well.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 04:06PM

Wait. You were "briefly annoyed" that your wife was reading it?!

Though you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Date: December 16, 2013 05:12PM

Well, I wanted to read it! But, almost immediately, I realized I could wait.

Posted by: enginerd ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 05:32PM

Some time ago I ordered the book "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop, about a woman's experiences with the FLDS church, and the challenges of leaving. When the book arrived my (at the time TBM) wife picked it up, then asked if she could borrow it, and began devouring it, with frequent "Oh my gosh" comments, giving me frequent summaries of the worst of the goings on.

We had previously read her great(x2) grandmother's autobiography (a second wife), so she knew what these women were going though was pretty much exactly how things had been for the church members in the 1880s. She very quickly became convinced that polygamy as practiced by the FLDS (and in the early LDS church) was totally f*ed up.

I never did end up reading the book... No complaints however. :-)

Posted by: BobV ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 12:17AM

How did it go?

Date: December 19, 2013 01:19AM

It went very well. My wife knows the lds church has problems and wants to check the sources and verify the accuracy of the points raised in the letter. Apparently she worries people might tell lies about religion. I am letting her work through things at her own pace, and I am encouraged at how things are going.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:37AM

That sounds really great that she's willing to investigate and verify on her own.

Posted by: Probitas ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:55AM

Get a copy of Guns, Germs and Steel...let her see you reading it...with any luck she will start reading it then it is just a matter of time...

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:29AM

It sounds great. I commend you for realizing that her pace might not be yours, but you need to let her have her own. Patience, my dear, and all will be well.

Posted by: BobV ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 12:07PM

That's great! It's quite humorous to see it in their eyes, the wheels turning, going back to references, and then seeing the look on their face, the mormon bubble starting to burst into flames, as they realize, Wow!! I've been duped.

Posted by: somewhere in AZ ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 12:14PM

One of the common comment I have heard form people is that once they start to REALLY investigate they can't stop and they'll spend hours and hours and days reading and reading.

This happened to me. Many times you don't need to push a spouse to read Mormonthink or exmormon.org. They'll migrate to these and eat it up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.