Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:31PM

the bus. I wonder if the church as a whole is breathing a collective sigh of relief that they no longer have to defend him?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:34PM

If they think they no longer have to defend him, the had better think twice.

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 01:53AM

Yep. +100

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 01:56AM

I knew that brigham young was a problem even before my mission. Ever since I stumbled into "Adam-God theory" while preparing to put in my papers. A companion and I would often talk about how we planned to corner BY and make him give us some answers in the next life.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 02:25AM

+1

BY was seen as the one who screwed everything up, & JS was seen as oh so perfect.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 03:39AM

soju Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ever since I stumbled into
> "Adam-God theory" while preparing . . .

Brigham Young never called it a "theory." He said it was a
"doctrine" and that God revealed it to him.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:36PM

Perhaps he sighed in relief because blaming Brigham takes the blame away from "Heavenly Father."

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 08:38PM

BY has always been a source of embarrassment for raccoon. Now, he's their scapegoat. Baaa!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 11:33PM

Blood atonement?

Dang, the shedding of innocent blood is one of those "unforgiveables"; I shore hope I don't have to spend eternity in Outer Darkness with the Old Boss...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 11:33PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: stuntc ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 02:46AM

I just don't get it. Is it not logical that if BY was full of it then everyone following him was? Isn't the chain broken? Isn't EVERYONE that ever quoted him under scrutiny. If things that he said himself were directly from the Lord are now being said to not be from the Lord then don't they have to discard EVERYTHING he ever said? And everything built on it? Isn't my own priesthood line nonexistent because it runs through him? (I already realize it's not real, so don't bother). Aren't multiple sections of the BoM now "disavowed"? Doesn't that call the WHOLE DAMN BOOK into question?

How can anyone read the blacks and the priesthood essay and still be mormon????? I just don't get it!!

Posted by: The 1st FreeAtLast ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 02:59AM

See the 3rd quote at http://www.lds.org/churchhistory/presidents/controllers/potcController.jsp?leader=2&topic=testimony

Also, the following are excerpts from a speech by Mormon Church President and Utah Territory Governor Brigham Young in Feb. 1852:

"What is that mark [of Cain]? you will see it on the countenance of every African you ever did see upon the face of the earth, or ever will see. Now I tell you what I know; when the mark was put upon Cain, Abel[']s children was in all probability young; the Lord told Cain that he should not receive the blessings of the preisthood nor his seed, until the last of the posterity of Able had received the preisthood, until the redem[p]tion of the earth. If there never was a prophet, or apostle of Jesus Christ spoke it before, I tell you, this people that are commonly called negroes are the children of old Cain. I know they are, I know that they cannot bear rule in the preisthood, for the curse on them was to remain upon them, until the resedue of the posterity of Michal and his wife receive the blessings, the seed of Cain would have received had they not been cursed; and hold the keys of the preisthood, until the times of the restitution shall come, and the curse be wiped off from the earth, and from michal[']s seed. Then Cain's seed will be had in rememberance, and the time come when that curse should be wiped off."

"Now then in the kingdom of God on the earth, a man who has has the Affrican blood in him cannot hold one jot nor tittle of preisthood; Why? because they are the true eternal principals the Lord Almighty has ordained, and who can help it, men cannot. the angels cannot, and all the powers of earth and hell cannot take it off, but thus saith the Eternal I am, what I am, I take it off at my pleasure, and not one partical of power can that posterity of Cain have, until the time comes the says he will have it taken away. That time will come when they will have the privilege of all we have the privelege of and more. In the kingdom of God on the earth the Affricans cannot hold one partical of power in Government."

"But let me tell you further. Let my seed mingle with the seed of Cain, that brings the curse upon me, and upon my generations, -- we will reap the same rewards with Cain.

"In the preisthood I will tell you what it will do. Where the children of God to mingle there seed with the seed of Cain it would not only bring the curse of being deprived of the power of the preisthood upon themselves but they entail it upon their children after them, and they cannot get rid of it. If a man in an ungaurded moment should commit such a transgression, if he would walk up and say cut off my head, and kill man woman and child it would do a great deal towards atoneing for the sin. Would this be to curse them? no it would be a blessing to them. -- it would do them good that they might be saved with their Bren. A man would shuder should they here us take about killing folk, but it is one of the greatest blessings to some to kill them, allthough the true principles of it are not understood."

(Ref. http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/sermons_talks_interviews/brigham1852feb5_priesthoodandblacks.htm )

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.