Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 04:49PM

At the school where I teach, most of the teachers get together and have lunch. The kids think it's a time for us to complain about them, but in reality most of the time we're just talking about the latest movie we've seen etc.

The faculty/staff is about 66% mormon. One of the nevermo teachers is from Texas originally and every once in a while asks questions about the mormon religion (very tactfully and out of total curiosity in an effort to understand).

Today she asked about the recent land-grab in Florida by TSCC, and had heard it was to develop some kind of park as a way to get good PR. I told her that I hadn't heard what they planned to do with the land, but that they own nearly 2% of Florida now.

The topic steered towards City Creek and then went to polygamy. Some of the mormons present agreed that they wouldn't mind polygamy if it didn't force 14-year-olds into marrying.

I chimed in and said that's what JS did, and one of them looked at me and said, "Well, we're past that now."

Unbelievable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 04:53PM

We're past that now? Does this person believe that the church is true, or do they just think it's morphed from an atrocious "religion" into a decent social organization?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 05:03PM

Sounds to me like they're acknowledging the fact that JS was a sick pervert who just wanted to get teenage girls.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 07:54AM

Just give it a few more weeks and people will be saying we're past the racism issue also. 130 years of false docterine and ostracism of an entire race of people and poof, it'll all disappear after a few short weeks of justifications and explanations about why it happened. Except it won't really be gone. It'll take another generation for most of the cultural affects to wear off and those who still want to discriminate will still be left with enough fuel for their prejudiced beliefs.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 08:42AM

They're not "past" that until they admit that 1.) it happened, and 2.) it was wrong, and 3.) they repudiate Smith's actions as a guy who couldn't keep his pants buttoned.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 09:46PM

True, but then they have (potentially) some very sticky problems on their hands... some people might make the logical leap (I know, not like for most TBMs I know) that if JS was really "speaking as a man" on something that he said was doctrine, then maybe he was "speaking as a man" for other things that are doctrine, and maybe he DID make up the BoM after all. I can't wait to see the essay on the Book of Abraham....that oughta be good for a laugh.

Edited because I'm a spelling idiot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 09:46PM by stillburned.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 08:50AM

How awkward. I'm glad I never taught in that school with so many Mormons.

I did teach in one with about six Mormon teachers. It was like a little cultish group within a normal school setting. They almost never spoke to the other teachers at lunch.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 09:57AM

Well, then, following that logic, it's just a matter of time until we're past the homophobia and misogyny, isn't it?

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 10:11AM

I still teach part time in high school as well at a college. I look at the 14 year girls in my classes and say to myself "how could any adult male relate at an intimate level to a young girl this age unless they had problems (the adult male). The girls in my class are fun and we have a great classes but it just makes me sick everytime I think of an adult with a 14 year girl.

That is why teachers having sex with students is against the law. It's a violation of trust. The young girls or guys have to know that their teachers will not violate that trust and do anything to hurt them. Now if that is required of teachers, what about a prophet. Shouldn't he be held accountable to an even higher standard?

Granted the times were different back then. But still, 14!!! Of all the women that JS was around why choose a 14 year old. If he was commanded to practice plural marriage did he not choose someone his own age?

Because it was about power. It was about Ego. It was about authority.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 10:03PM

Oh I don't think he cared too much about age. One third of the wives were sweet young things, a third were still hot twenty or thirty something types (often married to someone else) and a few were in their 50s and involved in persuading the others it was ok. But my impression is he did have sex with all of them.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:39PM

avoiding the issue is the only way they can deal with the truth. That is why mormons are always depressed, they can't face reality. If they want to live their lives like the tv show "sister wives" let them. The rest of the world will laugh at them and in the eyes of christians, they are sinning very badly..

I wouldn't want to be a sister wive. They are always poor and have no privacy.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 04:53PM

I think that's the new buzz line. "We're past that now." Works for me. I used to believe JS communed with the supernatural and saw ghosts, the Mayans were Lamanites and my underwear had magic powers. But I'm past that now. So leave me alone.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 04:54PM

Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 07:22PM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that's the new buzz line. "We're past that
> now." Works for me. I used to believe JS communed
> with the supernatural and saw ghosts, the Mayans
> were Lamanites and my underwear had magic powers.
> But I'm past that now. So leave me alone.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA yup

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 05:04PM

Perhaps part of the "We're past that" discussion should be that with even one wife...Young mormons are authoritatively counseled to marry heterosexual persons when they are gay, marry before knowing if they are sexually compatible with their spouse, and encouraged/commanded to have many children before they are financially or mentally ready to have them.

LDS Inc. is a vile, sinister, and evil organization that has no concern for the very real harm they cause people.

Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 07:22PM

"Well, we're past
> that now."
>

OH BARF!! I'M NOT PAST IT! He also married two sets of sisters. In the bible that is an abomination! YUCK.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 09:58PM

mormon : "how come you never come to church ?"

me : "I'm past that now."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.