Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nolongerquestioning81 ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 05:09PM

Given the extreme rate TBM's seem to pump out kids (my sisters both had 4 under 4 within as many years of being married), has anyone done a study to see if there's a higher rate of illness/health problems? Both of them constantly seem to be at the ER for this, that or the other. I think 7 of the 8 kids between the two families have had surgery (or surgeries) for health related problems ranging from tonsils/adenoids to sleep disorders and even heart problems. Could this be from the increased rate of births? It'd be interesting to see a study done if it hasn't already been.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 05:10PM

We had 3 in 4 years starting right away.

No health problems to speak of.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 05:13PM

I'm from a medium sized blended family where the kids are spread out a bit. I ended up with skin, lung, breathing, & allergy chronic health conditions.

Posted by: Nolongerquestioning81 ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 06:45PM

Like I said, just a theory. Maybe it's living in Utah that makes their kids sick. If that's the case, glad I'm in the Midwest.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 07:52PM

I never had kids, but sure had a lot of 'female' problems while in UT. Other problems such as major depression, and multiple surgeries for other problems as well while in UT. Funny how I never had ANY health issues before I moved there. Id love to be part of that survey. Maybe its due to the pressure of TSCC to be the perfect family, of which we all know now that it does NOT exist.

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 08:25PM

I think it is the inbreeding-- My family in this generation has a Downs baby, Wegener's Granulomatosis, and Addison's disease. The entire family has problems (aunts, uncles, cousins) with migraines. Oh-- and forgot lymphoma--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 08:25PM by cynthus.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:00AM

Date: December 18, 2013 04:26PM

My cousin died of CF. Her dad (thank god he's not my uncle anymore - what an asshole) was a multi-generational BIC from Utah. Unfortunately for my aunt who was a convert, they both happened to be CF-gene carriers.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 08:32PM

There is solid research showing spacing children too close is not good.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/family-planning/MY01691

Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 08:43PM

I have four kids but three of them are only two years apart. One child has bipolar disorder, one has autism and ataxia, one has no issues at all and another was born with pulmonary stenosis.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 11:46PM

My mom was from long lines of BIC Mormons on both sides of her family, with a number of cousinly marriages in the family tree.

She had seven live births (although one baby died within an hour) and at least four miscarriages. By the time she had her last child (at age 32), she had thyroid problems, severe fibroids and/or endometriosis (probably a biological or genetic component to it), chronic pain from unhealed childbirth-related injuries, a painkiller addiction that spiraled into more serious stuff, depression, chronic pain from an undiagnosed medical condition that was discovered at autopsy, and serious mood swings. If she had never had children or only had 1-2, she probably would have avoided many of the physical issues and been able to concentrate on improving her mental health.

As for the health of her children:

One was premature and died right after birth. Had he gone full-term, there was only 11 months between him and the next older sibling. Her obstetrician counseled her very strongly to NOT get pregnant again. She gave birth to two more.

Two have Type I diabetes, which is genetic through her side.

Three have Marfan syndrome, which is genetic through her side.

Four either currently struggle or have struggled with alcohol, drug or painkiller addiction (or all three), which may have a genetic component through her side.

Two have been diagnosed as bipolar, as have many of her family members for the last three generations.

I'd like to see a study about multi-generational TBM families, too. But who would be brave enough (and have the funding) to do it?

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 01:55AM

My cousin got pregnant with her second baby within a few months after giving birth.
Second baby was born prematurely (at seven months) and died within 24 hours.

Not every woman's body can handle the non-stop baby making.

Cousin eventually had one more child and they stopped.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 06:00AM

Breeding continually is NOT good for anyone. Animals have more sense. They go into HEAT, then breed. TMBs just breed breed breed. Must be in heat all the time. Being pregnant continually would make me hateful toward sex. Oh well.......

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:26PM

No kidding--I had many TBMS ask me, "Did you CHOOSE to have babies that far apart?" My children are 3 1/2 years apart in age. We did this on purpose--I felt strongly that 1) kids deserve some time as the baby and to develop; 2) I was an older mother (had my first at age 35); and 3) I worked full-time and didn't feel I could handle being constantly pregnant with really young kids while working full-time.

I spaced my kids both for their sakes and mine. I had wanted more than two, but I'm glad now we stopped at two.

Date: December 18, 2013 04:34PM

I'm convinced now that my now-deceased TBM grandparents used condoms & diaphragms. They had 6 kids. But the kids were all 3-5 1/2 years apart. I think the only time they ever had all 6 kids at home was right after my mom's oldest brother got back from his mission.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 04:00PM

To me, this could be a reason why Utah often ranks #1 for antidepressant use, since PPD is a common thing that can happen with one pregnancy, let alone several.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 04:30PM

Maybe it has more to do with all the jello salad, nauvoo potatoes, soda pop, and cookies... oh wait, those were blessed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.