Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 01:08PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassai/dad-disowns-gay-son-in-shockingly-simple-goodbye-l-6z51

I don't think I know any except my own brother who didn't choose to do this but embrace his son and his son's partner.

It is something I'm proud of him for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 01:20PM

Ouch...

Who knew Fred Phelps from the Westboro Baptist church had a gay kid.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 01:33PM

Evidences a closed-minded rigid bigot of an author drowning in negativity and short on intellect.

A wonderful and lightening thing to be rid of this tumor of a 'father.'

Posted by: nomorefencesitting ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:12PM

When I read the name of the son, I immediately thought it was my (disowned to me for other reasons) uncle who had written it because my cousin shares the same name. He's treated his son like a leper from early childhood. It's so sad how close-minded a lot of people are about gay and lesbians.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:29PM

Oh Lordy. I was reading the comments, & some stupid Morgbot quoted Dallin H. Hoax regarding "tolerance".

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:37PM

I think most would be appalled. Most will have a small bit of sympathy for the father and agree that it is an unnatural lifestyle and against gods will. I think most will disagree with his don't call, and get lost attitude.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:17PM

It depends. At one time, at least one GA I'm aware of encouraged parents in a conference talk to kick out kids who refused to conform to the rules of the home (whatever they may be). I would assume this would include straight kids who are having sex before marriage as well as their gay kids (or kids who were disruptive in the home for other reasons). In light of this kind of advice, I'd think some TBM's would sympathize with the father who wrote this letter.

On the other hand, Mormons are famous (for those of us who know by experience) for making of show of acceptence while not really accepting those they disapprove of (hate the sin, love the sinner). The spirit of the letter is too up front and overtly rejecting. It is, therefore, inconsistent with the image Mormons are expected to project of having tolerance, so some Mormons may reject this man's letter while sympahtizing with him.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:41PM

It definitely sounds like a letter any one of my TBM uncles could have written. They are all vehemently homophobic.

& I worry because I think one of my cousins might be gay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 03:42PM by Tristan.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 12:13PM

Maybe younger Mormons wouldn't write off a son or daughter, but my parents would have and told me so. Being involved in illicit drugs and having casual sex with both genders didn't get me disowned but had I told them I was gay and tried to get their acceptance would have gotten my permanent disowning.

I wish I wasn't so estranged so I could find out their take on their gay grandson...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.