Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:36PM

http://vimeo.com/60527949

This was shared on my FB by a very staunch Catholic friend of mine. He married his wife and she gave birth to their daughter almost exactly 9 months later.

That's fine, but this video is meant to scare people away from birth control. I think it's complete nonsense.

Some of the research in this seems flawed. Particularly when they say women who don't use oral birth control dress better. Not sure what that means.

Thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 02:57PM by mondaymorning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:47PM

Simple. They're irrational

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:48PM

Not rooted in reality.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:48PM

It sounds to me like the person who made the video isn't against birth control at all, but oral contraceptives.

But they're still very wrong & very stupid. A good deal are on oral contraceptives to control their periods. Plus, there are over 100+ oral contraceptives available to doctors to prescribe to their patients. Who knows how they will all react differently to the 100+ different pills? The person who made the video acts like there are less than 10.

It all just looks like bs to me.

••••

I went & checked out the 1flesh.org website. I think that they're advocating changes in women's reproductive health medicine. That they aren't anti birth control at all. But are angry that men have made the rules about how women's bodies are treated medically.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 02:53PM by Tristan.

Date: December 18, 2013 03:01PM

I'm all for women making decisions on women's reproductive help; From birth control to abortion.

I don't think giving an arbitrary list of things that are 'so much better' about natural ovulation than birth control really gives a clear picture of reproductive help.

Date: December 18, 2013 03:26PM

Yeah, before my phone died about 15 minutes ago, I was looking at their site more.

Advocating "natural family planning" as "birth control" is all wrong on all fronts. They are trying to advocate it as being "feminist", "green", & "alternative", but their movement will lead a lot of very young & very impressionable women down many sad & heartbreaking paths, such as having too many kids & young single motherhood before you're ready to have kids.

I have said for many years that the medical establishment & our world culture in general has to change so that women are seen as real people, & that's the only way reproductive medicine is going to change.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:02PM

There's all kinds of weirdness out there. I read a news story about how we are a few years away from a birth control pill for men. I mentioned this to a group of friends, and one of the women (not a religious nut) got upset, because she didn't like the whole idea. Her concern was that it was terribly unfair to women, because the male could be lying about having taken the pill, and now they get pregnant. My response, "Welcome to my world." I tried explaining to her that the solution is for both people to be responsible for their own sex organs. That is, if neither one of them wants to be pregnant, then they are both responsible for insuring that they have personally taken all the precautions. That way, no one was to rely on the other person to not mess up.

Date: December 18, 2013 03:06PM

I would've happily taken male birth control before I was married. Feeling the safety of not worrying about getting a girl pregnant would take serious anxiety out of sex.

Date: December 18, 2013 03:30PM

I know that condoms are fallible, but they are still there. & they are also a preferred way to protect yourself against STDs.

I only had sex with one person in the past. Even though this guy was a total dick, at least he knew how to use condoms like a pro. He didn't trust girls to be on birth control or to not have STDs. Being someone who wasn't on any sort of female birth control, I was actually relieved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 03:30PM by Tristan.

Date: December 18, 2013 03:40PM

I'm the type where I'd do a double goalie. There's always the fear of the condom breaking and then you're in trouble. There are things like morning after, but I would've done a double duty and taken the pill and condom.

Perhaps that shows how much I fear having children. I'm married and it still scares me, but at least I'm with the woman I'd want to have kids with.

Date: December 18, 2013 03:44PM

Oh of course using 2 types of BC is a good back up.

Date: December 18, 2013 03:46PM

Wrong place :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 03:47PM by Tristan.

Date: December 18, 2013 03:47PM

& what about women whose menstrual cycles are & always will be irregular? "Natural family planning" does not & will not work.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:51PM

I can't take hormonal BC because of health reasons right now, nor can I use the sponge, cervical cap, diaphragm, or anything thing else that requires the use of nonoxynol 9.

If BF decides to take the male BC pill, sex would be even more fun than usual. ;)

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:34PM

"women who don't use oral birth control dress better"

LOL!

I don't use oral birth control. It's just gone 12.30pm and I'm still in my jammies. And when I do get dressed, it will be sneakers, a pair of jeans, a tee and a fleece jacket. I'll make sure I wear a tee with a hole in it just to be extra badly dressed. :D

Date: December 18, 2013 03:37PM

+1

I've been cleaning today, so I still have on a dirty t-shirt & severely shredded jeans.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:40PM

Do you know what they call women who use natural birth control?
Mom.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:43PM

So stupid.
Once you start family planning, why not use the most effective means?

Trying to tell women that certain methods are church approved and others are not is still family planning.

Besides, no one can afford a dozen kids anymore.
Most Catholics realize this and simply ignore their church.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:44PM

I was regaled for years with stories about how I was never meant to exist.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 03:49PM

Me too. Kinda messes with your mind doesn't it? :-/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.