Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 08:45PM

about mormonism, who would RFM select to put up against him?

Who would volunteer?

(more to follow).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 08:46PM

MJ

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 09:07PM

YES!

Posted by: stormqueen ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 08:51PM

His magic undies would be in some mess.

Posted by: Talon Avex ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 08:53PM

Steve Benson for the win...

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 09:17PM

When Gordon Hinkley was on national television, he totally blew the chance to be a true prophet and preach the gospel of the "true church."

In stead of promoting the plan of salvation, he said "I don't know that we teach that." WHAT?? I spent my and my folks' hard earned money & two years preaching that, representing the prophet. And here he was, not even close to "boldly proclaiming" his message.

If I hadn't left tscc already, I'd have left that day!

And if Tom Monson were to be on TV today, I wouldn't even watch.

Well, maybe out of curiosity I would. But I can't honestly say I'd expect him to act his part as prophet.

Rather, I'd expect him to act his part as PROFIT.

Posted by: thorn ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 09:19PM

Steve Benson, Simon from Oz, anointed one.
Would pay to see that but, will sadly never happen, the Q15 know it could only be a lose-lose situation for them. TBM's may be impressed with the spin and testimonies but they know they got nothing that would sway neutral critical thinkers and they know it.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 09:52PM

Mormons don't know the meaning of the word "interview." All they have are one-way monologues, in which the Mormon does the telling and asking, and the other person(s) do the listening, and the bowing of the head to say "yes."

This would never happen. Mormons don't do interviews (or even conversations). Hinckley was an arrogant fool to put himself and his cult in such a precarious position. I think a lot of members felt betrayed.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 11:03PM

Joy, you're right about Hinckley. The only reason he wasn't torn to shreds on the spot was that Wallace didn't know enough about Mormonism to call him out on his lies.

Posted by: !!! ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 10:03PM

Monson couldn't go 90 minutes without drooling a puddle on the table.

Seriously, the church's handlers would never let him or Packer near an unscripted interview.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 10:13PM

also Packham

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 10:27PM

It wouldn't take 90 minutes. It would probably take only a couple questions before whatever mormon spokesman would start obvious spinning, evading, and lying. Then they'd claim it unfair somehow. And then later they'd chastise the members for paying attention to it.

I guess I missed that discussion that Holland promised during the BBC interview.

There are a lot of people here who could do the interview. I'd like to see Anagrammy take them on...

Posted by: BobbyBlaze ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 10:37PM

I'm sure Monson would love doing something other than spinning bullshit. Unfortunately, he can turn down the job like the last pope did. Say fuck it, and let a younger apostle take the mantle and see where the church leads.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 10:40PM

Since everything these guys do is planned, concocted, and scripted this whole idea is pure fantasy.

But, if you are going to fantasize think big.

My fantasy would have been a LDS "prophet" while speaking for The Lord, vs. Christopher Hitchens.

Date: December 18, 2013 10:49PM

In order to have a debate, you must begin with a topic that is debatable. Mormonism doesn't fall into that category. We all saw Jeff Holland's attempt -- lie, stammer, lie, deny, stammer, deflect etc... There's nothing to debate.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 07:10AM

My money is on Monson. He'd smother the opponents with stories about widows. The stories would wear his opponents down, and the audience--apparently--would love it.

Other than that, I'd gladly have at him. Little ol' me. I would wager that I could ask the hard questions and that my knowledge about church history would be superior.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 08:33AM

This brings up a good point. The LDS church is real big on published statements. And not real big on any church history other than the hand cart folks. Look. If any theologian and I mean any theologian were to challange the church publicly it would fold under the pressure.

Example. A group of religious leaders simply needs to present the Momormon church with a set of questions concerning their (LDS) doctrine. Then invite them to a public debate.

No need to hammer polygamy, or the outright fraudulent behavior of the Mormon people. Just stick to the claims the LDS church makes. The claims that are supposed to make the Mormon church the only true church. The actual science the church claims to have.

The church will back down and run away. Not because it has no spine. But because it has no answers. (Yes I just pointed out the obvious.) Look. You want to shut these people up. Great. Challange them publicaly and they'll run away so fast it'll make your head spin.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 08:43AM

"Challange them publicaly and they'll run away so fast it'll make your head spin."

Let's do it. Maybe we narrow it down to two topics: Racism and Revelation. The recent essay on the priesthood ban and the counter-evidence that it was taught as doctrine seem to be a good starting point for a lively discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 08:44AM by thingsithink.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:25AM

Aaand I want Jeffrey Holland.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 09:57AM by quinlansolo.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:41AM

Sadly, this 'debate' would only benefit those of us who are already out.

Those who still drink the Kool Aid will not be moved.

(We may see one or two shelves collapse)

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:00AM

The prophet would surely win any debate-- after all, he has God on his side...

Come on, Tommie! Use your magic underwear power of Jesus to put us apostates in our place!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 11:48AM

Anagrammy.

She is still a little pissed.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 04:35AM

Honestly, any one of us could make that vertical hotdog spin.

It would be too easy, so I'm going to go for looks...you know, just for the contrast.

On your left, the Lord's chosen mouthpiece, the Living Dead.

On your right, the hottest apostate, Dr. Love...

Monson would mumble, a little drool spindle staining his chest and Tal would break out his guitar

">>> cause HE'S SO HIIIIIIIIIGH ABOVE US..."

Ana

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 01:47PM

IDK who is the best speaker? I know that I am better typing than speaking-- it would have to be someone who looked good on TV, quick wit, and good memory for Mormon and anti-Mormon literature.

Date: December 19, 2013 06:39PM

How about Profit Tommy vs Google?

I know, I know... not fair.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:41PM

Then they'd go out for drinks afterwards and compliment each other for putting on such a good show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 06:43PM by steve benson.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 08:28PM

He's probably not even last a minute not even 90 minutes!! The public know a lot about the morg thanks to this website!!!

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:02PM

I have a rabid 17 year old son who would skin him alive.

He is waiting for the stake president to try rescue us

Posted by: Wandering ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:52PM

I vote for Steve Benson, John Larsen and Tom Phillips for the win. Grant Palmer and Richard Packam and Tal Bachman for the backup team though they'd all make first string.
Some one should do an online mock debate with these folks. Get someone to play the Prophets part. Maybe get someone to play Holland and Packer too. We know what their answers are.
I've always wished someone would put on a mock trial and really present both sides of the real issues. It wouldn't take long to show how weak the defenders positions are.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 11:01PM

First,they'd have to figure out a way to make him look like he was alive. I seriously question his ability to function as a real live person. I'm pretty sure that on the spot thinking isn't something God's profit can do.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 11:07PM

be sure to Throw In E. Kopischke's stmnt of 4/10/2012:
"The church does not hide historical facts." for good measure...

just sayin'

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 11:25PM

The leaders only preach to the converted.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.