Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 11:15PM

My TBM friends are sooooooo excited to share it on social networks. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/11/131120-science-native-american-people-migration-siberia-genetics/
Have fun owning them again Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 11:22PM by Delightsome White Boy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 11:36PM

ugh, the comments are overrun by chest thumping Mormons...

which is weird because the article starts out "Based on the arm bone of a 24,000-year-old Siberian youth..." and I'm not sure how that squares with a belief in a literal global flood:

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1998/01/the-flood-and-the-tower-of-babel

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 11:44PM

Seriously? They are sharing THAT antimormon news? Did they miss the bit about the western european (NOT Jewish) DNA coming from 17,000 years ago? Sigh.

Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 11:56PM

o.ooooo

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 11:59PM

Oh damn, I guess I'll go back, I was looking forward to sleeping in this Sunday too...

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:00AM

Yep...

I will be tryin' to figure out how to watch the NFL, drink coffee, swear, play w/ myself and still get back to the Twoo Church this Sunday.

Guess I'll choose fun over Truth. :)

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 01:29AM

Is in this thread. Some of us were baffled by this "discovery," the find was in the Lake Baikal region of Siberia/Mongolia, and it's been well know to those of us following the literature that the Southern Altai were likely source population for the group that migrated across Berengia...

We know from the "Out of Africa" theory that all modern humans descended from a small population that left Africa between 125,000 and 65,000 years ago, and it's not saying much that an individual in Mongolia would share ancestry with Europeans.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1090884,1090951#msg-1090951

And as Taddlywog noted, the 24,000 year figure hardly fits the BOM time frame...

Okay, I'm reading the "debate" just for Giggles, but I'm not going to chime in even though I recognize one of the posters as the ex-Mormon proprietor of another site. Alas, Nat Geo is under my real name, and there be Danites about...

The howler for me is the repeat of the "John Wesley Powell Smitshonian Conspiracy" story. That one is the product of the thoroughly discredited producers of the "Lost Civilizations of North America" video that Rodney Meldrum promoted and Glenn Beck featured.

Arguing with those folks would be on par with arguing with a Creationist; their minds are made up, and to them DNA translates as "Does Not Apply."

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:13AM

Re Smisthonian quote being a howler, I'll take that as a compliment. I love satire and to quote a primary song: "I'm trying to be like Pres Paternoster in all that I say and do." :)

Posted by: ryan_foushee ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:25AM

F the Danites. Right in their ear.

I'm your huckleberry.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:54AM

Whatever "science" the MORG uses to legitimize itself is of no consequence to me. I don't care. I never did care.

Ron Burr

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:33AM

"Theory is fact until proven wrong" Hmm... This explains much of mormon thinking.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:39AM

Wow, the Mormons have taken over the comments, and they certainly don't make a good impression.

Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:53AM

My comment:

Mormons can spike the football over this article all they want. What I want them to really do is start digging at the hill Cumorah. There was an epic battle here where millions of people died, right? Lets' get the shovels and find the bones, the swords, the arrows etc.

Older ruins from the ancient Greeks and Romans exist, so where are the millions of bones from the Book of Mormon battlefield? Also, Brigham Young once quoted Joseph Smith saying there were 'wagon loads of plates buried in Cumorah." Once again, let's get the shovel and dig them up!

Mormons want to call this evidence. Fine. Let's find some more evidence. Dig up the Hill Cumorah and let's see what's buried there. My guess: nothing.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 11:19AM

mondaymorning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My comment:
> Older ruins from the ancient Greeks and Romans
> exist, so where are the millions of bones from the
> Book of Mormon battlefield?

Spearheads that predate the human species have been found, so where are weapons from the BoM battlefields?

Posted by: builder ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:58AM

The real problem is that the Mormons believe the earth to be approx. 6,000 years old. So how can they believe somebody was here on the earth 24,000 years ago?

Amen...

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 11:29AM

Most anthropologists believe that humans came from Africa and then settled in the Middle East and Europe. Some think that humans merged with Neanderthals in Europe.

This evidence is dated 24,000 years ago, or 22,000 BC. Here is a little history primer:

22,000 BC: NG evidence
3000 BC: First civilizations
2000 BC: Egyptian pyramids
600 BC: Jerusalem falls; Lehi goes to America*
33 AD: Jesus dies; Jesus goes to America*
376 AD: Fall of Rome
400 AD: Nephites wiped out, end of BofM*
1492 AD: Columbus sails ocean blue
1830 AD: JS publishes Book of Mormon

*According to LDS theology

So we see that the Book of Mormon chronology is off by over 21,000 years from this "evidence". If people from Western Asia were already here for 21,000 years before Lehi arrived, how does that bolster their case?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 11:54AM

I won't know until the next essay comes out what the mormon church currently thinks regarding where Indians came from.

Posted by: Zig ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 12:21PM

It's hard to come up with DNA proof for a group of people that only existed in the mind of a con-artist.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 12:42PM

I just don't understand these Mormons. They will grasp at anything, ANYTHING to confirm their beliefs, even if a genetic link between Native Americans and ancient peoples in Europe was found in Siberia in a 24,000 year-old bone, as if that's the direction Nephi traveled or something. I just don't get it.

Posted by: anonough ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 12:45PM

I believe what TSCC will do to merge this finding with the BOM timeline is try to spin, once again, their blather about how the America's were already populated when Lehi and the gang made landfall.

Since they are not above throwing BY under the bus, is it that much of a stretch to think that they will not discredit anyone in the past that had made any comments that the America's were unoccupied?

And as far as what or how things are worded in the BOM? Well, The essay writers will just find some way to let us all know that we have been misinterpreting it all along.

Those of us that follow the deeper science will not be baffled by their attempts to fuzzy, obfuscate and misdirect. But for the truly brainwashed it will lull them back into their zombie like complacency.

My two cents.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.