Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 01:14AM

Hope those in states effected are keeping cool. I heard Adelaide was 44C (112F) today.

Park in the shade when Christmas shopping and don't burn yourself on the seat belt buckle.

I still have a cassette tape that was sitting ejected in a car radio with the part outside the car radio melted. It sucks doing Christmas prep when it's stinking hot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maxxedout ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 01:29AM

40 degrees in Melbourne today. Has been in the 20's until now. It is not usually this hot until mid to late Jan with Feb usually the hottest month. Fortunately humidity is not usually an issue this far south. Christmas will be 26and pleasant. That said i did enjoy white Christmas on my mission in Wyoming

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 02:21AM

If my grandmother were alive today, she would be shocked. She spent 2 Christmases in South Australia; 1 being in Adelaide, while on her mission with my grandfather 35 years ago.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:27AM

When is the best time of year to visit Australia? I had assumed January but now those temperatures seem way too hot to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 06:28AM by summer.

Posted by: Lindy ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 08:01AM

Summer..it depends which part of Australia you want to visit. The country is not quite as large as mainland USA but not far off it. I live in Perth and the best times to visit are either early spring, ie September/October to see the masses of wildflowers and escape the extreme heat or autumn( fall) March /April and even May. We had low 40's earlier this week ( the weather Adelaide and Melbourne are getting now) and we can expect high 30's and low 40's right up until February or even early March.
In the north of Australia they only really have two seasons, the wet and the dry. If you like humid heat with lots of thunderstorms then the wet might suit you..that runs from October until March/April.

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:30AM

Just ventured outside to water the garden and TRY to keep it alive. 44C today and again tomorrow. Now 10 PM it has dropped to 37C.Thank whoever for air conditioning to get some sleep.

Also just made a big batch of berry gelato. Getting ready for Christmas Eve party. My NeverMo husband makes the BEST champagne cocktails and friends come just for them. Christmas dinner will be seafood-smoked salmon roulade and prawn kebabs, followed by the traditional hot roast pork,turkey and all the trimmings. Christmas pudding and brandy butter,cold dessert as well.We may be crazy to do the full hot Christmas dinner but tradition is strong.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:41AM

Come on, it's not like it's 40 for 6 days in a row yet. Man up! Cough

Posted by: Jobim ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 08:41AM

OzDoc, what's your area of expertise and city of residence, if you don't mind me asking? I'm a derm and I hear your government is actively seeking new professionals abroad, including dermatologists. Are local docs upset with this? I live in a tropical country and would fit right in, and get away from our crazy government to boot. What are your thoughts?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 08:52AM

It's God punishing you for nicking the Ashes....

Posted by: antipodeanheathen ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 02:54PM

Stumbling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's God punishing you for nicking the Ashes....

Love it:-)))

I don't own a car. Just a motorbike. Full set of leathers in this heat is not fun!

Posted by: antipodeanheathen ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 03:04PM

Jobim,

I'm an expat medic, so I've done what you want to do.
It's a lot of red tape, but basically you need to find a post, then that hospital will sponsor you as "area of need" (meaning they can't recruit suitably experienced people locally) and you get a long stay business visa. The easiest way is to go through a recruitment company. There's plenty around.

Immigration and medical board are generally beaurocratic quagmires, which is why a recruitment firm is best, because they will do it for you.

Message me for more pointers if you wish

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:28PM

below. I am out of the public hospital scene. I am in a fully private surgical role so (thankfully!!!) have nothing to do with recruitment,government quotas on provider numbers etc.I do know that a surgeon I met who relocated from South America had a run-around to get status recognition and documentation even though she had a job waiting in a University hospital.A recruitment company would save many headaches.

Good luck if you make the move. Mormonism is so low on the radar here it will be a real escape.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:17PM

It is cooler where I am in the mountains, but by mountains standards it is VERY hot and I am whinging LOUD and CLEAR!!! My commiserations to those of you in 40 degrees and over. Stay cool, DON'T do too much work and drink LOTS!!!! We don't anyone collapsing in this heat!!

Posted by: thorn ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:31PM

Antipodean may I suggest a cooler alternative to leather? I went to a dry rider mesh jacket for warm weather riding. Once your moving it's more like a cotton shirt than a jacket. Made a big difference to me. I live near Brisbane so lots of summer riding.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.