Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 12:52PM

My thirteen year old daughter, eight year old son, and I were doing a little shopping last night for Christmas when a perfectly innocent and mildly amusing thing happened. My girl found a dress that she liked and tried it on. She came out to ask how it looked and my eight year old piped up and declared his sister beautiful, saying she looked really really good in that dress. I agreed with my boy and we bought the dress.

Later when I recounted the story to my wife she immediately wanted to bring my boy in and explain that brothers and sisters don't talk to each other like that. Fortunately I talked her off the edge, but I did go to sleep thanking spaghetti that I no longer sexualize everything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 12:55PM

You're welcome.

;-)

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 12:58PM

Ramen.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 01:02PM

Are you kidding me? My son fights with his sister like any normal teenager but years ago, I pointed out to him that taking potshots at her looks (calling her fat or ugly or too tall) was NOT acceptable because it might cause lifetime hangups in a little girl - especially when it comes from a "man" she looks up to as much as her big brother. I was ready to enforce that rule but I never had to because my son, bless him, took the message to heart and only compliments her on her looks. He'll say "You can't go to the dance looking like that - you look too pretty and boys will hit on you" or "You are bugging me today but I have to say, that you dress better and have more style than most of your friends." My son would have totally said something like your son said and I, like you, would have been proud of him for building his sister's self-confidence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2013 01:02PM by CA girl.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 02:33PM

As a Brother with many sisters, I try (even when I was 8) to complement them when ever I can. I think it makes our relationship better. I mean yeah, we argued when we were young, but we also helped each other out when we were that young too.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 02:59PM

1. I always compliment DW.
2. I compliment our eight daughters, four DILs, and 13 GDs.
3. When I see someone, even unrelated, at church (non-mo) I compliment them. Even as a mo I would do so.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 03:43PM

I can tell you firsthand the effects of being told how ugly you are, how you need fixing up, no one'll ever want you, etc. as a child.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.